Author Topic: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Robert Grieveson, innkeeper of Gateshead, died 31 Jan 1861; his will was proved on 13 May 1861 by his widow Margaret Grieveson of High St, Gateshead.  Effects under £300.

A newspaper notice said that he was “son of the late Mr John Grieveson, of Darlington” (Durham Chronicle, 8 February 1861).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
1851 census

Margaret Dodds 67 U Proprietor of Houses b Gateshead
Robert Grievson 31 nephew Railway clerk b York Hankswell
Margaret Grievson 29 clerk's wife b Gateshead
Eleanor Lalene visitor 25 married b Lanchester

Address Brecken Beds, Gateshead

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Great find, William  :)

Newspaper reports show that Robert Grieveson was running the Half Moon Inn, Gateshead, by Oct 1857.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Probate calendar has this in the calendar for 1874

15 September . Administration with the will of the effects of Margaret Dodds  late of Derwent Crook in the Borough of Gateshead in the County of Durham Spinster who died 18 Jan 1856
 at Derwent Crook was granted at Durham to Margaret Grieveson  of the " Waverley" Hotel 66 Pilgrim Street... and Mary Walker of Low Fell...  Widows the Nieces the Resisdual Legatees.

Note some 20 years after her death.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness!  These are great finds!  This is amazing!  The Waverley Hotel in Pilgrim Street is actually where Charles Edward died - the youngest son of Edward and Mary Senior Nee Innis!  I have long been wondering what the connection might have been for him being in this hotel - and sadly dying here as a young man

I am so grateful for all this help.  So many doors have been opened for me on this thread.

Thank you - this is amazing! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
This is just additional to say you have all really made my day with these very helpful posts today. 

You have expanded so much on the backgrounds of my bloodline ancestors Edward and Mary! :D

Now when work permits, I will have a bit of searching to do at the archives to look forward to.   :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 04 May 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
To help other researchers who may also been interested in the Senior/Dodds/Grieveson families I am now going to post some marriage information which I have been able to find:

Mary Jane Grieveson and George Gill married at St Mary, Gateshead
22 December 1869
George's age was recorded as 22 - Mary Jane's age as 'Full'
Abode for both was 'Half Moon Lane'
Fathers:
John Gill - Gentleman
Robert Grieveson - Auctioneer
Four witnesses:
John Gill
Emma Senior (my ancestor! :))
(William?) (...ness?)
Edwin S (Frank?)
All signed

Margaret Dodds and Robert Grieveson married at St Ann, Newcastle upon Tyne
Entry 110
8 April 1850
Both 'Full Age'
Robert recorded as 'Railways Clark' (sic)
Fathers:
John Grieveson - Publican
Thomas Dodds - looks like 'Surgeon'.  Staff member at Tyne and Wear Archives also agreed that this looks like 'Surgeon'
Witnesses:
Thomas Lloyd and (John?) Wheldon
All signed
By licence

I think Emma and Margaret Grieveson must have been cousins once removed.  I think that Thomas Dodds must have been the brother of my bloodline ancestor Mary Dodds who married William Innis and whose daughter Mary married Edward Senior.  This latter Mary was an only child according to a marriage notice I found for her and Edward.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thomas Weatherburn Dodds, b. Heworth 1799, son of Thomas Dodds and Ann Weatherburn, who married Jarrow 1796.

Thomas and Ann look to be too young to be the parents of sisters Mary (who marries William Innes) and Margaret (who leaves money to nieces Margaret Grieveson and Mary Walker), unless they were from an earlier marriage for Thomas.

Thomas Weatherburn Dodds marries Jane Dodds 3 Feb 1821, Newcastle All Saints.

So I suspect Jane Dodds may be the link to Mary and Margaret, rather than Thomas.

Several baptisms/burials of children of John Dodds (Colliery Viewer) and Mary Parkin/Perkin in Gateshead, including a Jane, Mary, and Margaret of the right age.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 06 May 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your post Alan.  This is a lot to get my head around with all these Dodds, but I am going to try to work out the links.

I think I am starting to understand something and I then just get bamboozled again. ???  I would so love to work this family out and I appreciate you trying to help me with this.