Author Topic: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 May 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan, I think I have got my head around this now. So of the siblings Jane, Mary and Margaret - daughters of John and Mary. ...

Mary would be my bloodline ancestor who married bloodline ancestor William Innis
Margaret is the spinster sister who leaves money to her nieces
Jane is a sister who marries Thomas Weatherburn Dodds who both become the parents of Margaret Dodds  who marries Robert Grieveson
Margaret Grieveson nee Dodds has a son named after her Father called Thomas Weatherburn Grieveson who becomes an actor
Margaret Grieveson's daughter Minnie may have been named after Aunt and Mother - Mary Jane
So Margaret and Emma are cousins and Mother's are Jane and Mary respectively

Does this sound about right?

According to marriage record Margaret Grieveson's Father Thomas was a surgeon.  I wonder when he died and if there may be any newspaper reports of his life as a surgeon?

Also, I wonder who were the parents of Mary Walker of Low Fell?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 07 May 18 07:15 BST (UK) »
I think thats right.

Thomas Weatherburn Dodds was buried Lanchester 22 Feb 1848, aged 48.

1841 census Lanchester,
Thomas Dodds, 40, Surgeon, Y,
Jane “. 40, Y
Eleanor”, 15, Y,
John “, 12, Y,
William “, 10, Y,
Jane “, 5, Y,
HO107/301/17/18/21

1851 census, Pitt St., Westgate, Newcastle,
Jane Dodds, head, wid, 55, Annuitant, b. Gateshead,
John Dodds, son, 22, Engineer, b. Hartlepool,
Jane Dodds, daur, 17, b. Hartlepool,
William Lawrie, gson, 8m, b. Edinburgh
HO107/2404/114/37

I think the Eleanor Lalene, 25, b. Lanchester,  living with Margaret Dodds and the Grievesons in 1851 is probably Eleanor Lawrie.

A marriage 27 Feb 1849, Newcastle All Saints, Eleanor Dodds, daughter of Thomas Weatherburn Dodds, and Thomas Lawrie, son of William Lawrie.

Also in 1841 census, Derwent Crook, Gateshead.
Margaret Dodds, 50, Ind, Y,
Margaret Dodds, 20, Y,
HO107/296/11/12/19

I think thats Margaret Dodds (Grieveson) with her Aunt Margaret. Aunt Margaret was of Derwent Crook on the Probate Record. I think they are in the same property in 1851, just all properties are down as Breckonbeds, which is the name of the village. John and Mary Dodds are "of Breckonbeds" at the burial of their daughter Ann Parkin Dodds, Gateshead 1798.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 07 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
The "Mary Walker of Low Fell".

1881 census, 7 Prospect Terrace, Low Fell,
Mary Walker, Head, wid, 67, b. Killingworth, Northumberland.
RG11/5041/102/45

Tracing Mary back through census, her husband was Nicholas Walker, a Stone Mason, born Chowdene. Some of their children can be found on the GRO with mothers maiden name Dodds. On the same page on FreeBMD Sep 1838 Chester le St., Nicholas Walker and Mary Dodds. They are in Chowdene in 1841 census, then move to Northumberland.

2 baptisms at Longbenton St. Barthlomew :

Born 5 Aug 1812, bap 15 Nov 1812, Mary Dodds, 1st daughter of John Dodds, Publican, and Jane formerly Doxford.

18 Sep 1814, Jane Dodds, daughter of John Dodds, Inn Keeper, and Jane, of Killingworth.

John Dodds married Jane Chaters, a widow, formerly Doxford, Longbenton 22 July 1812.

Jane Dodds (jnr) marries William Moor Newcastle Mar 1840, first child John Dodds Moor, Sep 1840 Tynemouth.

In 1871 census William and Jane Moor and family are in Hetton le Hole. In their household is a niece Hannah Walker, 21, b. Newcastle, who is the youngest daughter of Nicholas and Mary Walker.

There is a John Dodd, son of John Dodd, baptized Gateshead 11 Mar 1781.

A burial at Gateshead 4 July 1828. John Dodds, age 49, of Killingworth in Longbenton.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 07 May 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for all this information.  This is fantastic. :D  You have given me a lot to chew over.  Looks promising that 1841 Thomas is a surgeon and there are Lanchester links!

I am glad to hear that you think I am on the right track with understanding all these relationships.  However, I will slightly amend what I wrote in the last post to say that I think Margaret Grieveson and Emma must have been cousins once removed if Margaret Grieveson's Mother was Jane and Mary Innis nee Dodds was the sister of Jane, maternal Grandmother of Emma and Mother of Mary Senior nee Innis.

I really appreciate all this help you have given me! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 07 May 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
The will of John Parkin, Yeoman of Gateshead, 1803. Refers to the rents from some of his properties to be divided “equal and among John Dodds the Younger, Margaret Dodds, Mary Dodds, William Dodds and Jane Dodds, my grand children and children of of my son in law John Dodds of Derwent Crook in the parish of Gateshead, Viewer of Collieries”.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 07 May 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
What an amazing find!  I am extremely grateful for this.  I feel with all this information this branch of my family tree is really coming to life for me.

Where did you come across this will, Alan?  Thank you so much for posting this. 

William Innis was landlord of the Bluebell Inn in Durham and after his death wife Mary had a pub called the Shepherd's Rest.  I wonder if part of her inheritance was used for this.  Later Edward Senior had this pub and then sold it and moved to the Half Moon Inn in Durham where he was the landlord until his death.  He was buried at St Oswald on the same day that his youngest son - Charles Edward was baptised there.  Last year I went to visit this pub and the Church with my sister-in-law.  It was quite a memorable visit which I will never forget.

When I first started this post I was  looking for Emma.  Although, I haven't found out yet what became of her (and her sister Mary Louisa) - It is incredible the wealth of other related information which has been uncovered.  I am over the moon with this all!

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 06:36 BST (UK) »
The Durham Diocese Wills project. Hope this link works. A collaboration between Durham University and Familysearch.

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

I think there must be a family connection between Thomas Weatherburn Dodds and his wife Jane Dodds. Lots of Colliery Viewers on both sides - Chief Engineer/Colliery Manager.

Their fathers are both Colliery Viewers in Gateshead area, both fathers have brothers who are Colliery Viewers in Longbenton area.

On John Dodds Marriage License to Mary Perkins, 28 Nov 1778, John is a  bachelor, Coal Viewer of Washington Parish, age 30 and upwards. Bondsman is a William Dodds, Coal Viewer of Longbenton Parish.

A burial at Longbenton 30 Aug 1799, William Dodds, 63, bachelor, Viewer, Longbenton Colliery. So I would guess that is Johns brother.

Thomas Weatherburn Dodds father Thomas was a Colliery Viewer on his baptism, and his uncle Ralph Dodds was Viewer at Killingworth Colliery, gave George Stephenson of Rocket fame his first engineering job, and made a joint patent on a steam engine with him.

See an obituary for Thomas Weatherburn Dodds younger brother Isaac (if the link works). The date of the Hebburn Pit disaster is wrong, but most of it is corroborated on other websites. Isaac became a noted engineer in his own right, as was his son, another Thomas Weatherburn Dodds.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Isaac_Dodds

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Alan, this is absolutely fantastic!  You have given me so much to go over and read.  I really can't thank you enough!  You have really brought this side and their connections to life for me. :D

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
This is a button which is in my memorabilia items.  The inscription on the front is 'British Railways' and on the back is 'Gaunt' and 'London.'

Sorry the image is not great.  Although, it is hard to tell from the image, the button is a lovely silver colour.  This button  became mine after the death of my Mother and before I started on my genealogy hobby.

So unfortunately, I do not know the history behind this button.  However, I know from the census that my Great Grandfather James Senior (son of Edward) worked for the railways as did his brothers. 

All the railway connections posted by Alan, reminded me of this little button which I have. :)

My Great Grandfather James died in 1919.  I do wonder if this button may have belonged to him or another ancestor or whether this is totally unconnected to the senior family.

I do wonder what the date of this little button might be?