Author Topic: Registration of a birth  (Read 408 times)

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
  • A little courtesy can win a lot of respect.
    • View Profile
Registration of a birth
« on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know when mothers on their own became able to register the birth of an offspring? I believe it is a fairly recent change, previously (eg. in 1940s) it was the father that had to register the birth.
Thanks
D Jones
Jones, Lewis, Jandrell, George, Price, Lloyd, Cupper (Cuper), Vaughan, Grant, Wheldon

Denbighshire, Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Radnor, Powys, NZ, North Yorks

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of a birth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:06 BST (UK) »

Mother's have always been able to register a birth.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
No they didn't. Think about it ,an unmarried mother would have had to register the birth.A soldier or sailor's wife couldn't wait till Dad got home.
My great uncle who died as a baby in 1932 was registered by his Gran as Mom was too poorly.

Sorry if I sounded a little abrupt but it depends on circumstances.

Ciderdrinker

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
This is what the 1836 Act says:

XIX. And be it enacted, That the Father or Mother of any Child born, or the Occupier of every House or Tenement in England in which any Birth or Death shall happen, after the said First day of March, may, within Forty-two Days next after the Day of such Birth or within Five Days after the Day of such Death respectively, give Notice of such Birth or Death to the Registrar of the District; and in case any new-born Child or any dead Body shall be found exposed, the Overseers of the Poor in the Case of the new-born Child, and the Coroner in the case of the dead Body, shall forthwith give Notice and Information thereof, and of the Place where such Child or dead Body was found, to the Registrar; and for the Purpose of this Act the Master or Keeper of every Gaol, Prison, or House of Correction, or Workhouse, Hospital, or Lunatic Asylum, or public or charitable Institution, shall be deemed the Occupier thereof.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
  • A little courtesy can win a lot of respect.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, I was obviously under a mis-apprehension, thank you for putting me right.
D Jones
Jones, Lewis, Jandrell, George, Price, Lloyd, Cupper (Cuper), Vaughan, Grant, Wheldon

Denbighshire, Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Radnor, Powys, NZ, North Yorks