Author Topic: Frances Eleanor Barrett  (Read 8822 times)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Eleanor Barrett
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I am beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the info. Firstly I'm sure that Frances Ella who married John S Till in 1902 is not my Frances because the father is Frederick William - wrong. So we need to discount the info about the Tills
Secondly it is possible that the 1881 census entry is correct > There is a Frances E M Wall  but born 1889 with mother Roseina Wall - not mine.
Thirdly Lionel Conrad Clarke is NOTHING to do with my Frances. Without getting the certificate, I am pretty sure that my Frances Ellen/Eleanor had Lionel BARRETT Clarke in 1884 in Bath; he is the 'nephew' on the 1891 census. This type of listing is relatively common I believe to protect the mother's reputation, as candrjm suggests. Please don't confuse Lionel Conrad with Lionel Barrett - they are two separate people.
I shall have a closer look at Emily Sarah and see what I can find and whether it matches up.
Thank yo all for your continuing interest and help.
Carol

On your 1st point, it might be a good idea not to discount the marriage in 1902 just yet. As has been said before it's quite possible that Frances lied when she married John Till to hide her past by changing her name slightly and also changing her father's name and occupation.
My great grandmother's sister's marriage was recorded in a family bible (their father's name was William and he was in the military).  When I saw her marriage certificate she had named her father as Frederick and his occupation as Gentleman, she was 26 years old at the time of her marriage and I have no idea why she gave this false information.

On your 3rd point, Lionel Barrett Clarke and Lionel Conrad Clarke could be the same person. Frances could easily have changed his middle name to Conrad. There are a few coincidences between them: both  seem to be born 1884 in Bath. Birth reg for Lionel Barrett Clarke June Q 1884. No record of a birth for Lionel Conrad Clarke but stated birth on his naturalisation papers record Lionel Conrad Clarke born 18 May 1884 Cheltenham.  Lionel Barrett Clarke is recorded living in Cheltenham in the 1891 census.

Also there is the cousin of Lionel Barrett Clarke, Hettie Rowell corresponding with Lionel Conrad Clarke's son Richard which suggests that these two Lionel's are the same person.

Chris

Offline Kiwi Carol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 01 July 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Chris. Yes, I need to have an open mind and I fully appreciate that people had reasons for not giving the right info; my own family has people who changed their name and one whom I can't find.
I was trying to discount the family tree on Ancestry/Family Search - initially my gut feeling was that it wasn't correct because too many people take info to suit but the last info from Richard Clarke is rather telling. The family believes that Frances never married.
I am pushed for time to really investigate at the moment but I have read all the posts and very much appreciate the input from other genealogists.
I also need to be a bit less dogmatic!!!!
Thanks, Carol

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
If it was me, even doing it for a friend, I would so be getting that birth certificate for Lionel because I am very inquisitive!  (Inquisitive sounds better than nosy  :D)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kiwi Carol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm thinking so too. Was so intrigued with the info from the Family Search tree notes! Certainly matches up with Emily Sarah and Hilda and then Hettie
Carol

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
I doubt this will help much, but here's Eleanor's death certificate from 1931. A lot of unknowns as far as family, but does give burial location. The year is off, but the 12 June for birth matches.

CADI: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKS9-JRTW

Death Cert: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mey/