Author Topic: Richard Dudley Royalist.  (Read 4669 times)

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Dudley Royalist.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Maybe captain richard was our ancestor
1) he had a son called richard ‘Richard his son had a promising genius, and received a liberal education at St Paul's school.’
2) we can’t find his parents who may have disowned him!
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Bucks:PRATT,NUTT,STANNET,WELLS,MITCHELL,SEARES
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX
Worcs:STOKES,HUGHES,FARMER,MULLET,TAYLOR,SOUTHALL
Ssx:BODLE,BUTLER,HOOD,DENNIS
Leics:DUDLEY,HUDSON,JEFFO,SHRIGLEY
Essex:PATIENT/PATIENCE,CASS,HOY,WATTS
Derby:PEARSON

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
The source states 2 people. A Richard Dudley of Clopton whowas executed 1681 and a Richard Dudley of Swepstone. But they seem to contradict themselves and have differing information.
This Captain Richard wouldn't be our ancestor as We descend through Henry and then Thomas.
Likely a cousin.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have the other wills?
I have this:
Staffs:BARNETT,SAUNDERS/SANDERS,HICKMAN,GREGORY,WISE,GEORGE,ASTON, DAVENPORT/DEVONPORT
Kent:GATES,BEACH/BEECH,HAMILTON,SCAMP,JOY,PEARSON,TURNER, KING,WILKINSON,HARRIS,JEWHURST,AVERY,FEATHERSTONE,REEVE,WILLARD, REYNOLDS,KEMSLEY/KIMSLEY,WILES,LEE,EPPS,FOX

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:39 BST (UK) »
Title: W Richard Dudley Yeoman Swepstone, Leicestershire 18th Nov 1605
Catalogue reference: PROB 11/106/317
{margin writing: Richardi Dudley}
The laste will and testamente
of Richardi Dudley the ellder of Swepston in the County of Leicester Yeoman made and
fynished by me the said Richard the laste day of September Anno D[omi]ni millesimo Sexcentes
Quinto [1605], of Anno regni D[omi]ni ard nuni Regis Jacobi Z? Tertio et Scotie Tricesimo Nono.
In the name of God Amen. / I Richardi Dudley the ellder above said sicke in bodye but whole in
mynde do ordayne and make this my laste will and Testamente the day and yeare above saide
in maner and forme followinge. / Firste I bequeathe my soule into the hands of Allmightie God
my Creator trustinge to be saved onelye by the mercytte? of Jesus Christe my Redeemer God &
man. / And my bodye after I am deade to be buryed at the chancell and in the Churchyarde of
Swepstone. / Then I give unto the repayce? of the Churche of Swepston Sixtye shillingse eighte
pence. / Then I give unto everye poore househoulder dwellinge within the Towne of Swepston
Fower pence. / Then I give unto the Two? daughters of Dennis Dudley my sonne Thritye
poundes of lawefull money of Englande to be equallye devided between them, and if either of
them dye the sisters? to have the whole. / Then I give unto the Three children of John Farmer
of Normanton, Lawrence Thomas, and Dennis the some of Thirtye Three poundes sixe shillinges
eighte pence of lawefull money of Englande to be parted amongst them in this maner, that is to saye
Thomas to have Twentye poundes thereof, and Lawrence and Dennis to have the other Twenty
marckes equally devided between them, To be payde unto everye one of them at suche tyme and
tymes as Joane my wife in her disenty? on shall thrill? that they can use the said somes of money
themselves to their owne benifytte and behoof. / And further my will is, that name? of the Fireside
or Bridres of the said children shall have a pennye thereof uppon any condition to the use of the saide
children but onelie themselves to use for themselves about his. / Then I give unto Joane my wife my
Upper? howse in Swepston with all the landes, closes and other the appartemins thereunto belonginge
To have and to hould the said to her owne prow? use and behoofk for and duringe her naturall
Life. / And after her deathe I give the saide houses, landes, closes and appartementes unto Dennis
Dudley my sonne. / To have and to hould the same unto him, and the heirs of his bodye lawfully
begotten for ever. / From I give unto Dennyes Dudley my sonne all my landes Tenementes and
bordytamentes in Eckerthorpe? within the Countye of Derbye. / To have and to hold the same to

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
said to him and the heve of his body lawfullie begotten for ever. / From my will is left?
Joane my wife shall quiellih? And piareablye? Permylle? And suffer Dennis Dudley my sonne
To have houses, occupye, possosse, and enioys to his owne proper use benifylli and behold ?
Parte of the dwellinge in Swepston wherin I who dwell that is benearthe the entrye and
Also the one house of all other edisness, gardens, orchards, yards, closes, comons, and commons of
Pasorne whatsoever menconeds? And expressed in? that Inderetmr of lease use? I tooke of S[wepston]e:
Thomas Humprey my landlord for Three years?, duringe her naturall life. The said Joane,
my wife allwayes to paye the mente? Wholie mentioned? in the said Indenture of leocie? duringe her
naturall life. / From I give unto Joane my wife the lease of Obuttelose? In Swepston, To
have and to hould the same to her owene prop use and behoos duringe her life and after her
death to Dennis my sonne for Z? duringe somamye? Yeares as shall then remayne weppiness
in the said lease. / From I give unto Dennis Dudley my sonne the lease of Ege? Spinnerlose at
Nocheroate, To have and to hould to his wholie proper use and behoos duringe the years in
The saide lease expressed. / Then my will is tict? The ditche meamae? Whin the parishe of
Moshatne in the County of Derby shalle equallie devided betweene Joane my wife Z Dennis
My sonnne duringe her naturall life, And after her deathe I give the said ditchemeadowe to
Dennis my sonne, To have and to hould the same to him and the heirs of his bodye lawefullie
Begotten for ever. / Then my will is that Joane my wife and Dennis my sonne shall devide y?
The Broomedosar at Netheroate duringe her naturall life, and after her deathe if any years?
in the lesae of the same close remayne unexpired the same to come unto Dennis my sonne. Then
my will is that all the Tearne Markes, ploughes, harrowes, ploughe and marte tymber and
all other harriesse frarryture and Informtase of husbandarye shall and remayne to the
use of Joane my wife and Dennys my sonne ioymllye together during her naturall life
And after her deathe all the same wholie I give to Dennys my sonne for ever. / Then I give
unto Joane my wife all and all maner of Lynen clothe whatsoever, my sonne Dennis to
have no parte thereof but what shoe of her were good will shall give unto him. / Then my
will is that Joane my wife shall keepe all the evidences of my lande in Swepstone,
Eckethorpe & Meshalme and suche leases as I have allreadye taken of S[wepston]e. Thomas Humfry
Whatsoever duringe her naturall life. / And at her death my will is that all the saide eviden:[word continued next line]
ces and leases be safely by her delymenced to Dennis my sonne or hes heires for we? Matter I
earneslie entrate my eoterfert to be carefull. / Then I give unto Joane my wife and
Dennis my sonne the some of Twentye marcke of readye money wh I have layde uppe in y?
greate cheste within her bedchamber to be equallie devided betweene them. / And if ye appeare
by any lease mine? I have from my landlorde Sir? Thomas Humfry that he his homes or enytrusss?
should hercaster wye unto me any somes of money at or before the expiration of any of my
leases: I give the said somes of money to Joane my wife and Dennys my sonne to be
equallie devided between them. / The use of my goods, chuttelles, cattell, haye, corns, or
plate jenrlles, houshould stuffs, and debts whatsoever and owinge unto me unbiguathed
my debts, legacies, and funeralle discharged, I give unto Joane my wife and Dennys
my sonne to be equallie devided between them whom allso I make my engrute: ioyreye
together of this my last will and Testamente wsshinge and defirminge them betege in the
riane of God peoctablye to devide theis my goods, charitablie to lyne together, and trewlie &
justlye to performe this my laste will and testamente accordinge to the true intente and
meantnye thectos. / And I make and ordayne my welbeloved friends not Nicholas Beale pson
of Swepston, and Henrye Gilberte of Coleocton Grenseers of this my laste will & Testanm[en]te:
desiringe them to sea the same truelye & instlye performed. / And if anye ambiguitye, entere: [word continued next line]
versye or bacyance shall arise or fall oute betweene my wife and my sonne aboute this my
will, or about the dividinge of my goods or aboute any matter in truste comyfed to my wife
I likewise desine them two my Ebersoors charytablye and truelye to end and order the
same accordinge to that with them shall judge moste fytte and agreeable to my intents and
[new page]
intente and meaninge. / And what payne my Two Daughters shall have, or what expen: [word continued next line]
se they shalle at aboute the swinge this my will and Testamente fulfilled or otherwise for
the good agreemente and benifytte of my executo:[r]es. I earnestly repime my wife and my son
friendly and kyndelie to recompente the for the same. / In wytres whereof  I the saide
Richard Dudley the ellder have hereunto putte my hand and stale the daye & grave for said?
About written in the profore of Nicholas Beale claritie person of Swepston the wryter
hereof. / Signed Richardi Dudley. / Nicholas Beale

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure who this Richard is. He is listed as Richard the Elder, which would suggest that he has a son still alive called Richard the Younger but he only mentions a son Dennis in the will.
He also mentions the farmer family of normanton. Thomas's mother was Ann Farmer daughter of Lawrence Farmer of Normanton but this Lawrence dies around 1601/02.

I have a 1623 will where a Richard Dudley, Yeoman mentions his wife Martha and his father in law Henry Mountfort. Then mentions his children but not by individual names.

The will in 1587 of Richard Dudley, Husbandman mentions sons, William, John and Richard.
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks
The final correction here by dean Dudley is interesting

Offline peb205

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:57 BST (UK) »
From history of the Dudley family by dean Dudley

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 05:50 BST (UK) »
The Dudley family is likely descended from the Walter or Thomas in this pedigree.
A Walter Dudley is baptising in the 1550s/1560s in Swepstone and has links there. A Laurence Dudley is also baptising in the late 1500s.

The Daundeleys were a separate family. The name is Normally spelt Daundelyn/Dawndelyn/Daundeley and in earlier records D'Andaly/D'Andely.
The Male line I believe died out and in the late 1400s. A Margaret Daundelyn, Heir of John Daundelyn, Esq and also of her cousin or brother married John Bernard, Esq of Abington Hall in the early 1500s. I also descend from this line.