Author Topic: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'  (Read 12261 times)

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 10 May 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Wivenhoe,
Death Certificate on Mary MacRae...I've just attempted to send it, but even as a jpeg but I'm being told the document is 'too big'... I may have to transcribe it (or was there a specific bit you were interested in?)

I don't have Charles Gray McRae's Death Certificate though I do have his Marriage Certificate to Mary Anseline.

Gold prospector

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 10 May 18 04:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Jamjar,
Thanks for your last two posts.
I have the Death Certificate for Jules Francois Anseline and his name has been entered as "Juleuis Anslm"!!!
PS: I am not brothers8

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 May 18 05:06 BST (UK) »
Just to muddy the waters a little more re Thomas Nestor- it was not uncommon for people to put '21' as their age to signify that they were old enough to marry without parent/guardian consent.  However if Julia had a specific age on the certificate it's likely that 21 is the age given by Thomas. (Hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say!)

Probably best to transcribe the death cert that Wivenhoe is interested in.  Sometimes small details give wonderful clues.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 10 May 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
Anglican Parish Records - see here for marriage record, 1883, NESTOR - ANSELINE
https://search.ancestry.com.au/search/db.aspx?dbid=61177

Can you please list everything on the death certificate, Mary McRAE, 1913. I am specifically interested in everything on the certificate. Also, can you identify what this document is........image of hand written document....or a typed transcription.

Can you please list everything on the McRAE - ANSELINE marriage certificate, 1893. I am specifically interested in everything on the certificate. Also, can you identify what this document is........image of hand written document....or a typed transcription.

Who is this - NAA WW1 file?
ANSELINE James 30 years born 19 June 1880, address Wolfram Lane, North Broken Hill NSW
at Melbourne 28 Jun 1918..........."rejected".......

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Dear Judith,
Yes, I hear what you're saying: Thomas might very well have been younger, but, as Julia had given 21 yrs as her age, he did likewise...right?
Paul.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:23 BST (UK) »
Dear Wivenhoe,
That 'J Anseline' was James ('Jimmy') Anseline.
He was attempting to enlist go away in WW1 in, I think 1917, but what you refer to is a Medical reject report; the address he gave is that of (uncle) Everest.
He was 4 foot, 10 and three quarter inches!!! (Due, not doubt to the fact that he was born in Broken Hill (in 1888, I thought) and was probably affected by the lead pollution of the town (in utero exposure).
He is an interesting character and, through Trove, I've learnt that he was a regular boxer on Saturday nights in Broken Hill (not a champion, but often written about by the Monday sports editor!)
In fact, I have an old photo (obviously taken in a Studio) of a man 'shaping up' in boxing tights - a photo that no-one in my family could identify (until now...I think it's Jimmy, in fact).
I haven't forgotten about the Death and the Marriage Certificates, as discussed....
Gold prospector.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 May 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
Paul, it could be they actually were both 21.   They could have put 21 in order not to need parental permission.  It could be that he was aiming to match her in age.  However the point I was making was that they could be older. 

I have 3 marriage certificates where both parties put 21 but were definitely older, in one case decades older.  It was just a way of signifying that they were adults and not requiring consent.  In two of my cases I have seen the whole page of images from a parish church (5 other marriages as well as my ancestors) and the only 'real' ages shown are of 4 people who were minors.  Everyone else has '21' in the age column.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Judith,
Thank you for that information regarding age - it makes sense that they might have been trying to be older than they actually were to avoid parental consent (or that, perhaps, possibly, they were older anyway as per the examples you cited).
It would explain the Birth Certificate showing 1864 for a 'Thomas Nestor' (or maybe even that one you found, mugshot and all, birth date in 1867).
Paul.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Wivenhoe,

The following is taken from the Death Certificate of Mary McRae.

It is an image of the certificate with handwritten entries that I requested 20 yrs ago and was issued 12/5/1997.
by Barbara Flett, Registrar.
So, column by column, it reads thus:

No: 691.
Date and Place of Death: 5 October, 1913; Crystal Street, Broken Hill.
Name: Mary McRae.
Sex and age: Female, 71 years.
Cause of Death, Duration of last illness, medical attendant, when he last saw deceased:
Malignant disease of the uterus; 12 months; J F Bartley, MB, ChB, Registered; 3 October, 1913.
Name and occupation of father; Name and maiden name of mother: Unknown Morris, unknown; unknown.
Informant: C. McRae, Son; Crystal Street, Broken Hill and E. Anseline, Son, Wolfram Lane, North Broken Hill.
Particulars of registration: S. B. (unreadable); 6 October, 1913, Broken Hill.
When and where buried, name of undertaker: 6 October, 1913, Roman Catholic Cemetery, Broken Hill; Josiah Polkinghorne.
Name and religion of Minister and name of witnesses of burial: Joseph Brennan, Roman Catholic; A. Leslie and H. Isaac.
Where born and how long in the Australasian Colonies or States: Sydney, N. S. Wales.
Place of marriage, age and to whom: 1) a) Sydney, N. S.Wales; b) Broken Hill, N. S. Wales; 2) a) 21 years, b) 45 years; 3) a) Julius Anseline, b) Charles McRae.
Children of Marriage: a) Emily, 45 years, Everest 40 years, Frederick, 38 years, living; 1 male and 1 female deceased; b) Agnes, 30 years, Charles 38 years - (born before marriage); 2 males deceased (born before marriage).
Last column: Registration affected with instructions from Registrar-General letter dated 27 October, 1913. B.D.M. 13/9023.

Many thanks for your comments,

Gold prospector
PS: Marriage Certificate for Charles Gray McRae to follow.