Author Topic: Missing soldiers 18th & 19th centuries  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
  • kindness is free, sprinkle that stuff everywhere
    • View Profile
Missing soldiers 18th & 19th centuries
« on: Tuesday 08 May 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to trace any information about 2 of my ancestors who were apparently soldiers around the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries.

The first is a James Ferrier.
The only record I have of him is being listed as the father of my GG Grandmother, Catherine Ferrier (married name McKenzie) on her death certificate, which also says he was a soldier. Census records I have found for her have her living in Aberdeen, but born in Edinburgh, several of which say 'Edinburgh Castle'. I know that soldiers were barracked with their families at the Castle, and wonder if this was the case for James?
I have tried to search for records of James but without any luck. The National Archives of Scotland website suggests the Castle Museum, but their website only seems to cover later periods.

The second is a Robert Izet. This is even more of a mystery.
The death certificate of my GGG Grandmother Helen Izet (Izett) married name Lindsay - lists Chalmers Izett as her father and Jane MacLean as her mother, and her age at death indicates she was born around 1785. However, census records suggest she was born in Edinburgh around 1790. I can find no record of Chalmers Izett marrying Jane MacLean, but married Elizabeth Stewart in 1792. Furthermore, Helen's marriage record lists her father as being Robert Izet a deceased soldier.

If anyone can shed any light on any of the above I'd be very grateful.

Thanks very much

Lindsey

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing soldiers 18th & 19th centuries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
It looks like Catherine was born c 1818.
So could this be Dad?
James Ferrier born Banff 1792
Army 24.7.1809-3.11.1819 in Seaforth Highlanders

Alternatively there is a family tree on Ancestry
www.ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/71644211/person/32489779161/facts

Gives a baptism at Leslie Aberdeen 21.5.1797 s of William and Margaret Ferrier nee Forbes.
I can't check that out but you might want to get in touch

I can't see a Robert Izett as a soldier.
Chalmers Izzat seems to have had a hat warehouse in Edinburgh c 1800.
He was bapt 21 Oct 1765 at Canongate s of James Izat  and Margaret Reid so he could have had a wife before Elizabeth Stewart.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

The ancestry reference is me playing with the references I have found so far, I need to take it down really.

The James Ferrier you found might be the right one as I found a James Ferrier born in Banff, of the right age, listed in the 1861 Census as a Chelsea Pensioner living in Aberdeen. Catherine did live in Aberdeen with her husband and their children so maybe James went with her. 

Where might I find the reference to the Seaforth Highlanders you found?

Thanks for your help with this.

Lindsey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Shaun, that is a great find  :) Photo of the grave here www.findagrave.com/memorial/126001233/chalmers-izett

Lyndsey, does the death date match what you have for Helen Izett/Lindsay?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,

I do know a fair amount about Chalmers Izett, and I have seen the cemetery reference you sent me, thank you for that. However, there is a Googlebooks book of the Letters of James Hogg the writer (he was a friend of Chalmers and his wife Elizabeth). In this, the author particularly notes that Hogg refers to Helen's mother as Jane MacLean, the same name as on Helen's death certificate. What I don't understand is if Chalmers was her real father, why does it say on her marriage record (1807) to George Lindsay, that her father was a deceased soldier - Robert Izat? (the spelling of the surname varies a lot in the family). It is true that Chalmers was head of a volunteer battalion for a while but he lived until 1840, long after Helen married.

Thanks for your help.

Lindsey

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica & Shaun,

Yes this does match, and I have actually been to the cemetery, but while it confirms family links to Chalmers, it doesn't explain the anommaly on Helen Izet and George Lindsay's marriage record. I can't find any birth record, or death record for a Robert Izet, nor can I find any tax/land records or marriage record.

Based on other records, and the unusual names in the family, I am certain that this marriage record does refer to this particular Helen Izet and George Lindsay. 

I accept that this all might be a bluff - that Chalmers was Helen's father and he possibly didn't actually marry Jane MacLean, but if this was the case, he must have been a decent man to take in his illegitimate daughter.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
The potential sister Marion Izatt who married George Simpson in 1816, has anyone viewed the entry in the OPRs to see what it may say regarding her father Robert Izatt?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY9K-S83

Some researchers of this line show Marion's death on 15 July 1863 in Gartsherrie, Lanarkshire. Hopefully full parents' details were known to the informant to her death.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daonnachd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I had found Marion's marriage record, and also wondered if she was Helen's sister, especially as . I hadn't tracked them to Lanarkshire though... I'll see where that leads me.

Thanks so much everyone for all your efforts.