Author Topic: 1939 Register on Ancestry  (Read 15654 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register on Ancestry
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
I found a woman on the Ancestry 1939 register that I could not find on FindMyPast. The wife of my 3xgreat uncle. Not found the uncle yet but maybe he was abroad. She said she was married but hubby not with her.

Could he already have enlisted? If so he won't be on the register.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 10 May 18 00:50 BST (UK) »
My cousin was in the merchant navy so he did not show in the 1939 register either Coombs.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 May 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
He was born in 1894 so he may have been one of those older soldiers, as also my 48 year old great grandfather is not on the 1939 register and I have an inkling that he enlisted. He had been a soldier in the first world war. When my nan married in 1940 she said her father was a soldier.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Just opened Ancestry for no particular reason except that I didn't feel like getting on with what I should be doing and saw 40 new recommendations. A very nice surprise as I was finally able to confirm my g grandparents last address.

They don't seem to have completed the indexing yet. Can't find anything on my mother's line so far, only my father's.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Only just started searching this version of the register but already found my great-aunt who I couldn't find at all on FindMyPast. That's because the Ancestry search revealed her occupation - bakery manageress, which is right. She'd knocked 3 years off her age, which doesn't surprise me (she always regretted her single status) but my FindMyPast search had to be limited to +/- 2 years as there are so many Margaret Morrises. Date of birth is exactly right.

I like that the most relevant birth years are given first, then widening out, in the usual Ancestry manner, rather than starting with those 2 or 5 years older or whatever and going through to those 2 or 5 years younger. But transcription of Welsh place names is as useless as ever.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Just been browsing 1939 Register for Hindley, Lancashire, (NVCB) and found a page where every entry is redacted, yes all 44!   ::)
The previous page had only 10 entries visible with the other 34 closed.

Someone is going to be disappointed.  ;D It could even be me as I am struggling to find some relatives even though they were born in late 1800s and were alive in '39.

Added: I earlier found a couple (different area), right names & same address as mine but the birth years are 20 years earlier than the ones I have for them.  ???

Added 2: just found a second 'black' page this time in NVCC.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 May 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Just been browsing 1939 Register for Hindley, Lancashire, (NVCB) and found a page where every entry is redacted, yes all 44!   ::)
The previous page had only 10 entries visible with the other 34 closed.

Someone is going to be disappointed.  ;D It could even be me as I am struggling to find some relatives even though they were born in late 1800s and were alive in '39.

Added: I earlier found a couple (different area), right names & same address as mine but the birth years are 20 years earlier than the ones I have for them.  ???

Added 2: just found a second 'black' page this time in NVCC.

Is it likely that they were all evacuated children and therefore born well after 1917?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 10 May 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
My late father is redacted although his sister, who is younger and outlived him, isn't.

Looking at my mother's family 4 of 6 siblings are redacted. Her sister's married surnames are added but the odd thing is that one who married twice has her 1959 remarriage written in in green ink, well after the registration act was repealed.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Blimey

My mother who only died in February is unredacted on both FindMyPast and Ancestry versions
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE