Author Topic: 1939 Register on Ancestry  (Read 15666 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register on Ancestry
« Reply #63 on: Friday 11 May 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
Just when I'd decided to cancel my sub to ancestry - they get the 1939 register.

Lisa, there's a link further up the page & free to view without a sub.

Annie

Add...Found it!
https://ancstry.me/2rtIzfY
Enjoy free access until Sunday 13th May
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 11 May 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
That part of Hinstock Road has been redacted:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1i/

Were they born less than 100 years ago?  If not then what did Findmypast tell you?

Debra  :)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 11 May 18 00:43 BST (UK) »
Just had a look at various maps and the reason why there are few odd numbered houses is that Victoria Park runs for virtually the whole of that side of the road, there are currently 1-11 odd nos plus Percy Close near the other end on that side.

The entries for the even nos are scattered over several pages throughout the enumeration book QCGY and many of those are closed, I suspect no 26 is one of them.
If you are a subscriber to FindMyPast they will open the records if you supply them with a copy of the death certs. Ancestry will only update their version annually with data supplied by TNA. Opening the records via TNA is expensive, approx £25 a record.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 11 May 18 01:20 BST (UK) »
That part of Hinstock Road has been redacted:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1i/

Were they born less than 100 years ago?  If not then what did Findmypast tell you?

Debra  :)
Aggghhhh They were born in the 19th century, maybe they flyed around in a time machine.  There's no way all those records were redacted!
Davies in Wales :(

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 12 May 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
I've just discovered, by accident I have to admit, that the Ancestry images include the 'Transcript Book' front cover page. I've never seen these before on the FindMyPast version.

The front cover page includes the signature of the person completing the book and the date. I've been having a look to see if any of my family members completed the book for their village, but none so far. I'm starting to suspect the work was done by officials from outside the locality.

To view the cover page, firstly access the image viewer from any record in the location of interest. Then change the page number to '1'. That should then load the first page which usually comes up as a cover (but sometimes a blank page).

Offline lanercost

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 13 May 18 02:33 BST (UK) »
To see your hints for this record set only, use the following link but replace 00000000 with your tree's own unique number (which you can find in the URL when looking at your tree)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/hints/tree/00000000/hints?hf=record&hdbid=61596

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 13 May 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
I've just been quite happy so far noseying round the family I know, checking out what they were up to and with whom at the time. Interesting.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 13 May 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Just when I'd decided to cancel my sub to ancestry - they get the 1939 register.

Lisa, there's a link further up the page & free to view without a sub.

Annie

Add...Found it!
https://ancstry.me/2rtIzfY
Enjoy free access until Sunday 13th May

My sub runs out on 2nd June, so have a bit of time.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

guest189040

« Reply #71 on: Sunday 13 May 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
I have been hunting for hours just using the 1939 registry and found some interesting aspects of my family.

I am finding or rather not finding quite a few family members, all of whom passed away prior to the millenium.

Eg
Found parental Grandmother with one Uncle who was 20 at the time, living with her.  Grandmas 3 youngest sons and daughter are nowhere to be found.

I have looked at all older relatives of Grandma and her brothers and sister and found them but nothing about the 3 boys and 1 girl, no redacted entries at the same address as their Aunts or Uncles, nothing.

So whilst the Register is usefull it is not a Census return.