Author Topic: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....  (Read 7098 times)

Offline michelles5257

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....
« Reply #54 on: Monday 03 July 23 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lisa! I sent you a private message. 

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 03 July 23 07:29 BST (UK) »
Message received, thank you; I will have a look around now.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline AngelaF67

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 31 July 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
I was having the same problem as you, I'd send several messages and get no response. It's very disheartening sometimes as you're so excited and keen to get going.

Whilst looking through my matches I noticed a familiar name from a previous tree I'd looked at so I messaged them and actually got a reply, the other person was her sister and they are both elderly.

It turned out that she had no idea her grandfather, my 2ND Great Grandfather, had been married in the U.K. before emigrating to America in 1906. We're trying to find a marriage for her grandparents but it's proving very hard. I can't find a divorce for his first marriage either so I doubt he did get divorced as way back then it was very difficult for the common people. As it cost too much, and would be hard for anyone to prove,he wasn't divorced, in another country. It says on the 1910 census that they had been married a year but we've exhausted all the records we can find to no avail, I very much doubt they were ever married. We are in regular contact now which is amazing.

I would suggest you look for people with similar names in your match lists and message them all, someone will reply eventually. I've had a few who have replied just the once and a lot that don't reply at all too, it can be frustrating but keep going x Angela

Offline michelles5257

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 31 July 23 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your encouraging message Angela! 😊