Author Topic: Robert and Martha Parsons last seen near Dover 1881  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Martha Parsons last seen near Dover 1881
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 13 May 18 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi there solidrock, yes this is 'my' Robert 1843 Sidestrand, Norfolk (and as confirmed by his birth and marriage certificates and Martha's birth certificate which I have). Some variation in his middle name i.e. Hail versus Hale. Now as to his mother!! Mary Farrell states variously in census and other documentation that she was born in Gosport (Hampshire), Norfolk and Ireland! I think it was Ireland and I have found a marriage in 1827 in County Cork for a Mary Farrell and a John Parsons (TBC). Date works well for the birth of their first child William in 1829 in Glasgow Scotland. John's place of birth also remains a mystery as he notes Winchester and then Norfolk !! John was a Riding Officer/Coast Guard and a family member believes he was also in the military very early on (although I haven't found solid evidence of this yet). These occupations might help explain movements across Ireland, Scotland, Norfolk and Kent. John and Mary both died around Dover, Kent. Mary's headstone exists today! Robert Hale probably met Martha Eliza there, married and lived most of their life there till 1882 at least (thanx for finding Henry John) apart from a sojourn in London for the birth of one child (William 1872)- can't say how long though. Most of the family can be tracked from birth to death except Martha and Robert...and maybe we have now found Martha!!!!!
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 13 May 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
Had alook around for them in census not sure if I found the right one in 1851 at    Event Place.    Saint Margaret, Norfolk, England where john is a bricklayer. Also 1841 Portsea, Hampshire, England. Looking at all the places the children were born in the 1851 adds up to him being a coast guard but maybe only part time. Have'nt found that marriage in Ireland yet.

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 13 May 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
Yes I have the 1851 census and John is a bricklayer. I understand that Riding Officers had to fund themselves and they needed another job as they were frequently not paid for months on end. My cousins and I disputed this one for a bit as John has never shown up in any other documentation as anything except Riding Officer?Coast Guard but the family all add up. As for 1841, I have them in a census in Norfolk. Would be interested to see that one in Portsmouth - only because they both say (at one stage anyway!) they are from that way. Will search it out. This is the info re the marriage as sourced from Ancestry (with secondary sources noted):
Name: John Parsons
Sex:   Male
Marriage:   1827
Marriage Place:   Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland
Spouse:   Mary Farrell
Source:   Albert Eugene Casey, Eleanor L. Downey-Prince, and Ursula Dietrich.. Index of O'Kief, Coshe Mange, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater in Ireland. 16 vols. Birmingham, Alabama: Knocknagree Historical Fund, 1952-1971.
I've gone and had a look again at Martha's death - no doubt in my mind that it is she. The combination of Parsons and Belsey is as isobelw says "compelling". But no sign in ScotlandsPeople of Robert or any of the younger children who I am having difficulty finding in 1891. Gotta love a good mystery :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 13 May 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
I agree with you that Martha in Glasgow is the right one.  The 1841 census has 3 extra children not mentioned before so it may not be the same John and Mary.

Joseph Parsons       M    12    Hampshire
Mary Ann Parsons       F    10    Hampshire
Georgiana Parsons

Now to find the elusive Robert.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Emma Parsons marriage:

12th August 1890

William Ellis,26,farrier. Father:Edwin Ellis,glass cutter, deceased. Address: 2 Cliff Court
Emma Parsons,20. Father:Robert Parsons, boilermaker. Address: 2 Cliff Court, Limekiln Street?

Witnesses:William Fletcher and Anne Taylor.

Can't seem to find this couple in 1891 or 1901.
Can’t find them in 1891 but they are in Birmingham in 1901 and 1911. In 1901 Emma says she is from Bermondsey in London and age 28 but the last census says she was born Dover. Births of children on gro confirm maiden name as Parsons.
Think the witness Ann Taylor is Emma’s sister Ann who married Alfred Taylor in Dover in 1883.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
William and Emma are in Birmingham in 1891 living as lodgers. Emma says she is 21 born Paddington. Eldest son William Henry ( age 10 in 1901) was born in June quarter 1901 MMA Parsons.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 13 May 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
The Taylors are in Birling Kent in 1891 but interestingly one of their children -James age 5 - was born in Scotland.
Isobel

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 14 May 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
The Taylors are in Birling Kent in 1891 but interestingly one of their children -James age 5 - was born in Scotland.
Isobel

That is definitely Ann, daughter of Robert and Martha. In 1901 James was a stockman on farm in Brabourne, Kent. His birth is given as Ayr Glasgow 1886. Was Ann visiting her mother or there for Martha's wedding?

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 14 May 18 01:50 BST (UK) »
Isobelw and solidrock you are super sleuths!!! The Scotland connections are amazing and even though I have this information, given it was all collected before the big Martha discovery I'm not sure I would have gone back to join the dots (a lesson about revisiting to be learned)!! Thanks for bringing fresh eyes to it all.