Author Topic: Steele of Barthomley  (Read 2482 times)

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Steele of Barthomley
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Steele ancestry, and I have a branch from the 1600's that live in Claycroft in Barthomley. I have been unable to find the location of Claycroft, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Steele of Barthomley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 18 03:55 BST (UK) »
Not much help in identifying exactly where is was, but have you seen this reference to "Steels of Claycroft fam:[ily]"
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1j/

It is in the section of the Deanery of Nantwich regarding Barthomley.

Modified to add:
There is also this 1837 tithe map which has a reference to "Clay Croft", at Chorlton.  :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m1k/

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you aware of the 48 page booklet "The Descendants of George Steele of Barthomley, Cheshire, England and of Chester County, Pennsylvania" compiled by Frederick D Stone Jnr and distributed in 1896 in Philadelphia - limited to 50 copies but copy 31 is showing on Ancestry - reference material files.

It suggests that Claycroft is near Sandbach. It also suggests the family "seat" was "Taed Hall" about 4 miles from Wheelock and near the current site of Crewe Railway Station.

Found it by looking for Claycroft, Barthomley.

Alan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
there is also Claycoft - one word - Northwich area - just checked - 19 miles by road to Barthomley 
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help.

In the Barthomley parish registers, both Toad Hole and Claycroft are clearly defined as in Barthomley. There is a Toad Hole shown on the 1872 map, north east of the village of Barthomley, and indeed it is possible it is still there. Other Steele locations are Walnut Tree and Smith's Green, both of which are shown on modern maps.

Claycroft is the one that is missing, and was the home of the Richard Steele (1629-1692)who endowed a school in Barthomley where Steele children could be educated for free.
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a full text of Betley Parish Registers 1538-1812 which in its introduction says -

Mr Edwards is descended from the Steeles and owns their house at Buddileigh. Robert Steele married Margaret Smythe in 1607 and his initials with the date 1610 are still on the old house which he acquired from the Thicknesses (another local family).

Current maps seem to suggest the site nowadays may be Buddileigh Farm and is about 3 miles from Barthomley itself. I wondered if there could be a connection?

The register also says - at the Conquest Ormus de Betley held the Manor of Betley  - could this connected to you?

Alan

PS As an aside I assume you have also seen digitalpuritan.net/richard-steele - this says his father was Robert. Is it the same Robert as shown above?

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, I have seen these references.

Robert Steele, father of Richard, could be the same one. The first entry mentioning Claycroft in the Barthomley registers is the birth of Ann Steele in 1611 to Robert. Then Robert has seven other children to 1631. The eldest son, also Robert, must have inherited, and we have Claycroft births 1655 to 1673. The process is repeated with eldest son Moses Steele having a child in 1687. Then a William, Taylor, having children 1728-1731, but I haven't got further.

The problem with Buddeleigh is that there are entries for other Steeles living there at the same time as entries for Claycroft.

Ormus is my nom-de-plume. My real name is Geoff! I have never seen another Ormus.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

I have been looking at Barthomley Parish Records on
www.barthomleystbertolines.org.uk/family-history-society.php and under "who's who" there is a parish news editor with an e-mail address. Maybe you could ask them or put an article in the Parish News looking for Claycroft?

I noticed from the baptism records "claycroft" has been spelt in at least 4 different ways - shown as claycrosse; claycroft; claycrofte; and clay crofte.

Whilst today it looks like it no longer exists as a separate entity, I wondered if someone in the locality may have more information?

It looks certain that the "Betley Steele's" are a separate branch from those in Barthomley.

Alan 

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
That's an excellent idea. I will give it a try.

Apparently family lore has it that a Claycroft Steele, William, was a victim of the Dec 1643 massacre in St Bertoline's church.