Author Topic: Steele of Barthomley  (Read 2484 times)

Offline pegerton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steele of Barthomley
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 September 23 10:15 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Steele family of Barthomley.
Found this in archive.org:

Barthomley in letters from a former rector to his eldest son.
by Hinchliffe, Edward, 1801-1878

"LETTER XVI.

MY DEAR BOY.

On the right-hand side of the road leading from Balterley Hall to Betley, is a cottage-like farm house, built in 1620, made ornamental by some old Scotch fir-trees planted about it, and having a good substantial pigeon-house, not permitted of yore to appertain to the buildings of any grade inferior to that of a yeoman. It is called Buddi-lee,/ and is the ancient freehold property of Mr. Steele; the lands belonging to it support ten milkingcows, and produce the usual proportion of corn, &c. grown on farms of its dimensions in this part of England. Buddi-lee is a title not strictly confined to Mr. Steele’s farm: the last syllable, 'lee,’ is a general term, and we find, from the parish registers, that a small adjoining locality bears the name of Buddilee."

Offline ormus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Steele of Barthomley
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 September 23 15:06 BST (UK) »
Goodness! it has been years since I last looked at the Steele family. Thanks for this info.
Ashworth(Manchester), Scrouther(Hampsthwaite, Yorkshire), Brereton(Cheshire), Wargen(Hereford), Whatmough(Manchester), Killen(Wolverhampton+Leeds), Clayton(Oswaldtwistle), Cummings(Fife), Onley(Durham), Massey(Salford), Charters(Berwick), Parry(Shropshire), Brown(Berwick), Loscombe(Bristol), Wright(Somerset),Tyler(Hereford), Andrews(Fownhope, Hereford), Morris(Manchester), Hinchliffe(Sheffield), Nowell(Yorkshire).