Author Topic: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
I was going to say this Grandmother or that one and then this Grandfather or that one..

I am so GREEDY  - I would like to pop into my GRAND PARENTS on all sides !! lives for one day --- without them knowing.. Each and every one of them.

Just to watch from the sidelines..

xin

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
 Now c'mon xin, how would you like your grandparents to be watching you getting up to your mischief??

ANCESTORS!

If you could see your ancestors
All standing in a row
Would you be proud of them?
Or don't you really know?

Strange discoveries are sometime made
In climbing the family tree
Occasionally one is found in line
Who shocks his progeny!

If you could see your ancestors
All standing in a row
Perhaps there might be one or two
You wouldn't care to know!

Now turn the question right about
And take another view
When you shall meet your Ancestors
Will they be proud of you???
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
What would they think of me?

"Why isn't she married yet??"
"How can she not know how to cook??"
"She can't make her own clothing??"
"Wait... she wears trousers??"

I wonder how they'd feel about me being atheist...

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
JB, Brilliant poem!

Ayashi, Brilliant response & I'm sure a few of my own ancestors would be horrified by my own life but I believe my faults were passed through my genes, well that's my excuse  ;D

The ancestor I would love to visit is my Mother!

She passed away when I was only 23 yrs old, don't really know anything about her childhood/adult yrs (prior to marrying my father) as she was orphaned, brought up by relatives & told me very little but now I'm 'older' she might share her life with me as I know it wasn't good!!!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I knew my paternal grandfather fairly well. He had served in the Great War but he had died before I discovered he had served in the 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers in German East Afri

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

I knew my paternal grandfather fairly well. He had served in the Great War but he had died before I discovered he had served in the 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers in German East Africa. What I really would have liked to have known is whether he was with Frederick Courtney Selous the day when Selous was killed by a German Sniper.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
What I really would have liked to have known is whether he was with Frederick Courtney Selous the day when Selous was killed by a German Sniper.

There may be a diary of 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers to give you a possibility on your thoughts?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
I'm very lucky, as both sets of my Scottish grandparents, and their extended families all lived in the same area as I did, probably no more than a few kms apart. We had regular family gatherings at the usual special events, 21st birthdays, weddings, Christmas, New Years Eve, Easter, funerals and more. My 4 grandparents were very good friends with each other.  They met from the time when my Mum's parents, my Nanny and Grandpop, came to NZ, in 1926, Dad's parents, my Grandma and Grandpa, had come a few years earlier, but had settled in the same little town. Mum later meets Dad in his little boot repair shop, which was just down the road from where she lived.  She gets a crush on him, and the rest as they say - is history!., 💞💞.

I guess I'm pretty lucky really, as I was able to attend the Golden Wedding's of both of these couples, when I was about 15!  Unfortunately, my Grandma had a stroke ( I actually found her on the floor of their flat), and we had to get an ambulance to take her to hospital  Sad story, but my Grandpa was already in the same hospital in the final stages of bowel cancer at the time!  With permission from the nurse, Dad was able to take him down to see her. He kissed her and gave her a cuddle, and whispered something to her before he left.  When he reached the door, he turned back, waved and said "Bye Ginny - I Love You,  See you again soon"!  And he was right!

Perhaps he knew something no-one else did, as she died just 3 hrs later.  When Dad went to tell him the bad news, as he walked into his room, Grandpa said " Don't tell me, I already know, it's OK -  and he died only two hours later himself.  So very sad that neither of them got to my 21st or my wedding! 😢😢 But I'm sure they were there in spirit!! 😍😍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate