Author Topic: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 19 May 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
If one of your ancestors was a volunteer in say, WW1, and he/she was killed during the war, or was killed elsewhere accidentally, at some other time, would you go back and tell/show him what will/did happen(ed) to him/her, knowing that your actions would, in all probability change the future?

Malky

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 19 May 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Good question .. yes I would warn my ancestors in WW1  who were to be killed.  I think this would have saved a lot of heartbreak for their families.  These were mostly single men who were killed and all were miners.  I believe they would have been able to continue as miners - take your pick.  However, I know from experience - my own Dad was almost killed as a result of an accident down the pit and through my research of mining ancestors that this was far from a safe occupation in itself. 

I know one of my WW1 ancestors was gassed; another survived a liquid fire attack before being killed in action in another battle.  I think I would say to them - you will stand no chance if you go to war but I do not know what your outcome will be if you stay as a miner.

My Dad told me that he did attempt to find alternative work to mining when he left school.  He went for an interview for another job but was asked by the haughty interviewer what his Father's trade was.  When my Dad replied that he was a pitman he was told that that too was what he must do, and that he should know his place, etc,. 
In the 1960s my Dad suffered a terrible mining accident and narrowly missed death albeit with with multiple broken bones and collapsed lung.  He was sent to a convalescent home for six months after hospital.

So I suppose war or to continue mining would be like offering a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea, as they say.

I also had an ancestor who was drowned.  He was the son of my Great x 2 Grandparents.  He was training to be as an apprentice pilot when a storm occurred as he and the man he was training under were trying to 're-enter the Tyne.  There was a rescue attempt but there was only time in the very dramatic rescue attempt (1902) to save one man.  The rescuers saved the older man and my ancestor who had been married only 8 weeks disappeared in the waves never to be seen again.  I do know that the family were utterly heatbroken.  You can see this in the memorials that appeared during several years afterwards.  Yes, I would certainly warn him.  Even though, this would be difficult as his widow went on to re-marry and had a daughter who would not have existed otherwise.  However, no question I would warn this ancestor if I could.  His parents and siblings were broken-hearted.  I can't even begin to imagine the pain and disbelief which would have been theirs when this news reached them that he would never return home.  His name was Philip Young.  There was a big ceremony in South Shields following the rescue where the rescuers were all awarded medals.

Bizarrely, my Dad used to tell a story about his time in WW2 when he was warned by an unknown soldier about being imminently killed if he did not follow his advice.  I won't go into the full circumstances, but my Dad said that if he had not done what the man had instructed he would have been killed. My Dad said he had never seen this man before his appearance at that time and that he never came across him again.  This was quit an eerie story to hear it in full like I did many years ago!

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 19 May 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
The only person I know who died in WW1 was my grandmas older brother, he was single, 19yrs old and died on her 13th birthday in 1915.
I have to say if I could warn him I would.
It haunted my grandma her whole life and although she had 3 other brothers who also joined, fought and returned all of who I knew, I can only imagine how difficult it was for her parents and other siblings, as it was for many families who lost someone
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 19 May 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Yes agree there -

My Nan and Gramps were so extremely sad about the Men we lost in the family during both Wars.
They were also spoken of as good strong caring folk..  It is so sad that they didn't live. 
Two of them married in haste as the war heated up, and one left a newborn son..   It is awful, when we think back

I wonder what would happen if I could go and warn them xxxx bless them all.

BUT  -- thinking it through   -- long and hard -- IF

we went back and warned them and Nobody fought OUR Fight --

We may not be here now.....  So bless them and what they gave

Their life for our Future - I just wish the younger generations could in some small way COMPREHEND this.. instead of so many dismissing the brave men (and Women of course)

xin

back in my corner snoozing

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 19 May 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
I would like to visit my g.grandfather to ask him who his parents were.  This has defeated the best brains on Rootschat, and various ancestors of his partner, my g.grandmother.  He must have had parents but who were they.  I know his mother was Spanish and I know what her Spanish maiden name was supposed to be.  Interestingly, having had my DNA done, I've found that I have 2 3rd cousins who have that surname.  I've been in touch with one who says she believes there were a lot of illegitimate children in the family, which takes me to a theory I've had for many years now.  Still not got through the brick wall though.

If I could visit 2 people, the other one would be my paternal grandfather to ask him why he told everyone he was an orphan when I know, from research, that he had 2 brothers and 3 sisters.  His youngest brother died in WWI, his youngest sister died of heart disease when he was a teenager but the others lived to be adults and had families.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
All these unanswered questions and brick walls in our searches can be maddening yet intriquing.

It is true if we all stepped in to warn ancestors who backed out the war would undoubtedly have been lost or better - not have happened at all if large numbers on the other side were warned too and backed out.

WW1 was mass slaughter - the stuff of nightmares for many and it would be hard to resist not warning an ancestor.

When contemplating changing the past it does seem to be a double-edged sword.  Great for some but perhaps annihalation for others who may not have come into existence.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
It is a good job we don't have the option to go back and warn people...the chain reaction could cause disaster.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
There you go...  best left as is -- sadly

xin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 19 May 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is probably good that we can't do this as I still think I would find it difficult not to fix things in the past if I could.

That is lovely that you would like to visit your Nan, Xinia by the way.  I was talking to my sister-in-law about this tonight and she would visit an elderly Aunty who she used to know if she could go back in time.

I would feel very honoured if a descendant in the future wanted to visit me over all other possible ancestors.  That is is they just wanted to know me or learn about my work or interests.  However, if I was told they were coming because they wanted answers, I might feel a little like I was going to be interrogated.  I wonder what my ancestors would make of me therefore and all the questions I would be asking. :) ;)