Author Topic: looking for records on rosa davis b:1830-1840  (Read 7102 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for records on rosa davis b:1830-1840
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 20 May 18 07:55 BST (UK) »
Rosa was an un-assisted passenger therefor she paid her own fare or someone paid it for her. She was a servant in 1851 in York Place, Windsor, if someone could view the census to see who her employer was as they may have paid her fare.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGV1-CXM

"Unassisted immigrants came out to Australia on their own passage, paying their own cabin class or steerage fare.
Some of the young men and young women on the ships were domestic servants accompanying their employers."

Offline wee_erin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 20 May 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
(First time posting so please forgive me if I miss anything)

From Ancestry's Passenger List
Bernell, Rosa
Age 24; English; Married - listed as wife but no other family members listed with her
Passenger in Second cabin
Port of Embarkation - London approximately August 13, 1860
Arrival in Melbourne on November 3, 1860

Welcome to Rootschat,
Thanks for posting that, did it give the name of the ship as I can not find any record of a ship named Result. Obviously her husband was still alive then as she's not listed as a widow but I still find it difficult to believe that she would travel all that way alone with a baby to a strange country. Perhaps her husband went ahead and she is following him.

Yes, the ship is listed as "Result"

Offline dowsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 21 May 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
William's marriage cert to Elizabeth Ada McKnight (handwritten). His parents are listed as George Dowswell and Ann Dowswell maiden name Davies. His father's occupation is Engineer. William is 27 yrs 6 mths at Dec 1889 and born in Hackney Wick, Victoria Park, London. His occupation is Master Bricklayer and his present address is Rathdown St Carlton and his usual address is 38 Palmer St Balmain.
Elizabeth's usual address is 44 Holt St Surry Hills. Her father is listed as William John McKnight and mother Alice McKnight maiden name Wallace.
Registrar of Marriages, Edward Mallock/Shallock/Mattock, in his office at Ascot Vale.
Witnessed by John Swanie and Ellen Pauline Swanie.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 21 May 18 05:03 BST (UK) »
The head of the household where Rosa was a servant in 1851 is Maria Wilsenden but can't find her on any passenger lists. I'll try to find other household members.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGV1-C61

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 21 May 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
Other household members were Elizabeth A Garlich and Edward  Garlich. Non of them were on the passenger list. Who paid Rosa's fare???  Back to the drawing board.  ???

Offline dowsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 25 May 18 03:04 BST (UK) »

"BERNELL, WILLIAM        DAVIS      
GRO Reference: 1860  J Quarter in HACKNEY  Volume 01B  Page 356"

I have just received this certificate back and it clearly states:-
When Born:   4th May 1860   Name: William   Sex: Boy   Father: William Bernell   
Mother: Rosa Ann Bernell formally Davis
Father Profession: Bailiff  Informant: R.A.Bernell mother of 1 Wick Rd.

Thanks to ALL who helped to get me this far BUT how and when did William get to Aust. He is still listed in the 1861 census after Rosa came to Aust. It is stated on his death cert in 1898 that he was 31 yrs in the colony so looking around 1867. That means he travelled to Aust as a 6 yr old and with whom?
Solid Rock's theory about being a mistress looks very close to the mark as the informant being Rosa could have said anything, suggesting that they were married (same surname).

Back to the passenger lists.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 25 May 18 04:46 BST (UK) »
Maybe we've got the wrong William  :-\
The birth cert says fathers profession Bailiff but in 1861 he was Coachman / Gentleman. Also the address is different, birth 1 Wick Rd, census Brook Street.

Offline dowsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 25 May 18 05:06 BST (UK) »
It sought of goes with your theory about Rosa being a mistress. How about this.

She may have lived in Wick Rd when she gave birth in May 1860. She may have taken the fathers surname of Bernell to seem legitimate. She may have given the baby to the father when she travelled to Aust Nov 1860. This allowed William to show up on 1861 census. William may have travelled to Aust as a child later in the 60's ( 31 yrs in colony).

A bit of a stretch but we do have the right birth, just have to link the correct father and immigration details.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 25 May 18 06:42 BST (UK) »
I think you right but there is still the question of who paid Rosa's fare, could of been William the father and why would she go alone leaving William Jnr. Then if William Jnr. traveled later then who with, I don't think you will find him on a passenger list because as far as I can tell children were not named only listed as child.