Author Topic: Missing on 1939 register  (Read 6098 times)

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing on 1939 register
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
It is quite easy to miss this if you are looking at the household transcript and have not selected the closed record as the equivalent button alongside an open record is giving the option to close it.

It appears that the closed record in the 1939 register is *not* him. They replied and said he wasn't in that property so the record I though was him has to remain closed.

Forces War Records haven't got him, and say "It would seem that the Full Service Record, is not available because it is held only by the Ministry of Defence (MoD), the remaining record is held by the MoD as it is still protected under the UK Data Protection Act and the MOD's own Policies."

So, where on earth was he in 1939? Is there a way to find out (that doesn't cost a lot of money!)?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
Forces War Records don't have any records of any significance!
You need to apply to the MOD, along with proof of death, and a £30 fee.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Incidentally, servicemen and women don't appear on the 1939 National Register.

Quoting from The National Archives:
3.2 Exceptions and anomalies among armed forces personnel

Registration of members of the armed forces was dealt with by the military authorities, so the 1939 Register does not include service personnel in military, naval and air force establishments. Nor does it include members of the armed forces billeted in private homes, including their own homes. However, since conscription did not begin in earnest until January 1940, most people who subsequently served in the armed forces during the Second World War were still civilians in September 1939.

The records do include

members of the armed forces on leave
    civilians on military bases
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:00 BST (UK) »

Incidentally, servicemen and women don't appear on the 1939 National Register

That's where my train of thought was going... I was trying to do it without it costing any more! I am a Yorkshireman after all!

Thanks for the link, looks like I might have to go down that route.

We'll get there in the end!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Have you any record of him being in the services in WW1.

What was his occupation when he died.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
Have you any record of him being in the services in WW1.

What was his occupation when he died.

There are several Walter Huckin records showing up as "medal records" in WWI so I can't nail down the right one. Without the full service record from MOD I'm unlikely to know everything.

In 1922, according to the absentee voters' list, he was in the RASC.

I'm awaiting the death certificate in the post so not sure on occupation at the moment. 

The *very* strange thing is he died in September 1961, and his wife remarried on 21 October 1961, *and* the marriage certificate shows that she was living at the same address as the chap she married. She was 80, he was 70... It's a small private house, so it's not a care home or some such. It's actually 10 minutes walk from where I live now!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
What address was the 1922 absent voter entry for.

I did wonder if that marriage was your Minnie  :)  Perhaps she had already split up from Walter and could not marry her new husband without a divorce from Walter.   I see she died 3 years later.

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
What address was the 1922 absent voter entry for.

I did wonder if that marriage was your Minnie  :)  Perhaps she had already split up from Walter and could not marry her new husband without a divorce from Walter.   I see she died 3 years later.

Yes, It's my Minnie - I have the certificate here. :-)

I looked for divorce but couldn't find one. 1922 address is 108 Moor Lane Preston, and they are both registered as living there.

She was still there in 1924 - but this is a record of "trades" and she's a midwife.
UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946 she is recorded as Huckin Mrs. Minnie Matilda L.O.S. 108 Moor Lane, Preston

The L.O.S. is her qualification.

In 1920/21 they are shown on the England & Wales, Electoral Registers 1920-1932 as both living at 108 Moor Lane.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:46 BST (UK) »
Minnie was showing in the Kelly's Trades directory as a Midwife, not an electoral register.

I wonder if LOS is her diploma  :)
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/library-services/heritage/rcm-genealogy.pdf
'In the meantime, the London Obstetrical Society opened up its diploma to midwives'

Offline TymH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Minnie was showing in the Kelly's Trades directory as a Midwife, not an electoral register.

I wonder if LOS is her diploma  :)
https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/library-services/heritage/rcm-genealogy.pdf
'In the meantime, the London Obstetrical Society opened up its diploma to midwives'

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BL%2FER%2F2017-12-12_12_02%2F00347&parentid=BL%2FER%2F2017-12-12_12_02%2F01414451