Author Topic: MacGregors, Callander  (Read 6772 times)

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacGregors, Callander
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 August 22 17:28 BST (UK) »
|  |       |--1764 James Cuilantogil Callander. Went to US 1781/2, 1787 settled in Wilton
|  |       |       married 1794 Elisabeth Louisa Cameron (Lueza/Luella) Schuylerville,
|  |       |       Saratoga (1776-1834).
|  |       |       |--1794 Elisabeth Schuylerville, Saratoga
|  |       |       |--1796 Margaret Schuylerville, Saratoga
|  |       |       |--1798 John Schuylerville, Saratoga
|  |       |       |--James
|  |       |       |--William
|  |       |       |--Alexander, founder of MacGregor's Landing, Iowa, in 1847, which today is
|  |       |       |  called McGregor, Iowa.
|  |       |       |--Peter
|  |       |       |--1808 Duncan McGregor b. 1808 (d. 1895) married Harriet G. Cornell
|  |       |       |       '--1841 John
|  |       |       |--Gregor
|  |       |       |--Mary Ann, probably wife of cousin James Sprott, (above), (1799-1876)
|  |       |       '--1818 Helen McGregor (d. 1825)
|  |       |--1766 John Culintogle Callander. Went to US 1781/2, lived in New York city.
|  |       |--1769 Susanna Cuilintogle Callander
|  |       '--1772 Alexander Culntogil Callander. Went to US 1781/2, returned to UK.
|  |               Erected monument to wife Janet 23.9.1798 33 and parents,
|  |               Kincardine Norrieston graveyard.
|  |               Possibly married [2] 1803 Ellen Morton, Plumbley, Lower Peover, Chester,
|  |               but I don't think so, as age doesn't match.
|  |               1806 married in Faversham, Kent, widow Helen Finlay (nee Thomson)
|  |               Marriage Notice, The Scots Magazine, Edinburgh.
|  |               (1774 or 8-1855). Daughter of George Thomson of Glasgow, and possibly of
|  |               Elizabeth Allan, if born 1778.
|  |               Alexander agent for the Bank of England, Manchester, 1826. Died 1828 Liverpool.
|  |               Helen's children from her first marriage;
|  |               |--1797 James Finlay
|  |               |--1798 ? Finlay
|  |               |--1799 George Finlay (d. 1875) Scottish historian.
|  |               '--1801 Elizabeth Mary Finlay
|  |               Helen's children from her second marriage;
|  |               |--1806 Alexander, Liverpool (d. 1842)
|  |               |--1808 James, Liverpool
|  |               |--1810 William, Liverpool (d. 1842)
|  |               |--1812 Walter Fergus, Liverpool (d. 1863)
|  |               |--1817 Elizabeth Jane, Liverpool
|  |               '--1819 Helen, Liverpool

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 August 22 17:37 BST (UK) »
Is that a better match to the Ancestory information? As I mentioned in the original post, my interest is in the other branch of the Coilantogle McGregor family, specifically Margaret McAlpine McGregor, and her niece Joanna McAlpine McGregor. Margaret had a cousin, (I think a cousin), Robert of Ardmacmuin. His parents are buried by John and Ann Wood in Thornhill, and he is probably the Robert who lived by their sons in Saratoga. So, it does all appear to be connected, or maybe I'm seeing patterns which are just coincidences.

John.

Offline HarryFreeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi John thanks for your reply, when you say transcript, a transcript of what exactly, is this a transcript of a marriage or birth for example?

What is a transcript from clan Gregor, is this an official record as with ScotlandsPeople?

What I am really trying to achieve is documenting my family tree correctly - I am trying to document and demonstrate clearly through official records that my nans nan was McGregor by blood and a Drummond by name only.

My ancestor on ancestry is called Duncan Drummond Alias McGregor - I have checked on Scotland people and it does look like on record he is Duncan Drummond although I have never brought credits to actually view the records in full which may at some point be worded something such as alias McGregor.

Thanks

Harry

It is all very intriguing - I really thought the McGregor theory was a dead end as I never found any proof and everybody who had my ancestor in there tree as McGregor could not explain or prove the McGregor bit as they has copied someone else’s tree, who has also copied someone else’s tree and so forth.

I always wondered that at some point somebody must of had some information that suggested the McGregor theory and put it on ancestry.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 09:16 BST (UK) »
What is a transcript from clan Gregor, is this an official record as with ScotlandsPeople?
No. Someone has transcribed the information from the official record, whether baptism or banns, and put that on the Clan Gregor site.

My ancestor on ancestry is called Duncan Drummond Alias McGregor - I have checked on Scotland people and it does look like on record he is Duncan Drummond although I have never brought credits to actually view the records in full which may at some point be worded something such as alias McGregor.
I think you have just answered your own question, in part at least; you have to look at the available original records.

Bear in mind that for a time Clan Gregor was proscribed, and many MacGregors adopted aliases to avoid being arrested. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Gregor
An Act of the Scottish Parliament from 1617 stated (translated into modern English): It was ordained that the name of MacGregor should be abolished and that the whole persons of that name should renounce their name and take some other name and that they nor none of their name and that they nor none of their posterity should call themselves Gregor or MacGregor under pain of death ... that any person or persons of the said clan who has already renounced their names or hereafter shall renounce their names or if any of their children or posterity shall at any time hereafter assume or take to themselves the name of Gregor or MacGregor ... that every such person or persons assuming or taking to themselves the said name ... shall incur the pain of death which pain shall be executed upon them without favour.

I always wondered that at some point somebody must of had some information that suggested the McGregor theory and put it on ancestry.
You've found the main problem with online trees - they get copied and re-copied and unless you can track down the first one from which all the rest are copied, you risk propagating an error.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,

As Forfarian mentioned, the Clan Gregor Society transcribed the parish registers for Western Perthshire and put it on their website. I've checked, and unfortunately it's not on their new website. It only included McGregor families, but did include McGregor families using an alias, and some kirk session notes. I mentioned it because it was my main source for Patrick's family, and there are sometimes small differences between it and the Scotland's People's index. Although, one big difference, as you've found, is that the index often uses just the alias name, and doesn't mention the McGregor part, which is the case with Patrick.

The name proscription was lifted in 1774, and most people went back to using McGregor. Some older people kept their alias, but their children usually didn't. I know of one family in Argyle that kept their alias name, but usually if a family isn't using McGregor after 1774, then they probably weren't McGregors.

Who was your Duncan Drummond alias McGregor ancestor? Did he live by Callander? If so, I can check the transcript and the pages of the registers I've bought from Scotland's People to see if I have him. My dad's family are from Callander and Balquhidder, so I've collected information about the area from building my own tree.

John.

Offline HarryFreeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi John my Duncan Was named Duncan Drummond born 1776, his father also being named Duncan Drummond from Comrie, having traced his ancestry through Scotland people I reached Patrick Drummond and Anne MacArthur.

I will recap and let you know the exact line as I can’t remember It to hand - I just know I got to Patrick Drummond and Anne MacArthur and couldn’t get past them, I then googled and found this forum - I was of course suprised to see the McGregor link that I had very recently dismissed. 

Offline HarryFreeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hopefully this helps - I found this on scotlands people. I think I searched for Patrick drummond and only record I could find from marriage to a Ann was Anne MacArthur, hope this helps. Scottish family history is absolutely new to me having only found out I had some Scottish ancestry quite recently, it is very complex   ;D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,

No. I don't have that page, or the pages for his brothers; James (1744), and John (1748). Looking at the index there appears to be a gap in the marriage banns for Comrie between 1710 and 1747. In fact, I think there are a lot of gaps in the registers going back that far. From what I've seen it appears to be mainly due to water damage, and the grave stones are often blank because the inscriptions have been washed away. It's a wet place.

Is the other Duncan you mentioned the son of Duncan Drummond and Janet King, christened Comrie 1778? If so, I do have a bit of information about that family.

John.

Offline HarryFreeman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 August 22 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi John I believe it goes as follows

Patrick Drummond and Anne (presumably McArthur)

Son - Duncan Drummond and Katherine Mailor

Son - Duncan Drummond and Ann Key

Son - William Drummond born in London