Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 75357 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Again, just continuing with records found earlier this week ..

There was a Tynemouth Union discharge May 26th 1910 for two boys - Vincent Battista & John Dixon both aged 16.  They were discharged at 1.35 and 1.38 respectively.  'To W Elliot.  11 Alexandra St.  Victoria (G?), Rowland Gill.'
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Another record found earlier ...

St Cuthbert RC baptism, North Shields
Orselina  Battista writing makes name look more like Orjelina
Born 22 Feb 1884
Bapt 9 March 1884
Parents Joannis & Elizabethae Battista no maiden name recorded
There is a male and female God parent but names are very difficult to make out.  Middle name of male is Stephanus.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Orselina Guthrie was buried at Preston Cemetery in 1959.  This cemetery is not too far from me (about 2 miles) so if you wish I can go along one day in the next two weeks (fitting in with work and other commitments)  to see if she has a grave stone and if Giovanni as her Father may be referred to on this.

Let me know, if you would like this checked Battista.

Also, husband Robert is also in the same photo album (twice) as Orselina at Tyne and Wear Archives - if this is of interest.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 02 June 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Again, just continuing with records found earlier this week ..

There was a Tynemouth Union discharge May 26th 1910 for two boys - Vincent Battista & John Dixon both aged 16.  They were discharged at 1.35 and 1.38 respectively.  'To W Elliot.  11 Alexandra St.  Victoria (G?), Rowland Gill.'

What a tangled web this family is!

A free search on the 1911 census shows both Vincent Battista and a John Dixon living with an Elliott family in Chopwell Parish (Rowlands Gill was in Chopwell Parish at that time)

Victoria G? will be Victoria Garesfield. https://victoriagaresfield.weebly.com/history.html

Here's the very house  :D http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=26491744&sale=90141510&country=england
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Great house find Jen!  This looks like a lovely old house - just like something out of Beamish.  I wonder if W. Elliot may have had some connection to the family?  Or whether the boys were just taken in for another reason - such as work opportunity.

Giovanni had a big family and so probably quite a few descendants by now.  In my experience, I have found that some descendants know more than others about family affairs.  Hopefully, one day some other descendant who knows more about Giovanni's disappearance may see this post or one of the others posted by battista and they may make contact with answers.  Also, who knows what may be on the 1921 census :) Although, it is most likely Giovanni was dead by then, going off marriage entries of his children.

I wonder if Elizabeth and baby John are related to the family and not some other Battistas.  Recording suggests they came from Bolton workhouse.  These two seemed to have disappeared too.  Strange too, how baby John's birth does not appear to have been registered. ???

Hopefully, one day Battista may return to this thread and give an opinion once all this new information has been processed. :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Great house find Jen!  This looks like a lovely old house - just like something out of Beamish.  I wonder if W. Elliot may have had some connection to the family?  Or whether the boys were just taken in for another reason - such as work opportunity.

I should think there was a good demand for people to work in the pit at that time. It probably gave the family a little bit extra income to have a couple of lodgers.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, there would have been great demand for pit workers.  Especially, as I have found with my own ancestors that life expectancy wasn't long due to the hazards and health problems as an outcome of the job.

I wonder why W. Elliot decided to make the trip all the way to the Tynemouth Union for these boys when perhaps other boys situated closer could have been found?  I suppose we may never know the answer.  However, this thread certainly throws up a lot of questions. ???

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 02 June 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11118?SearchType=AtoZ&SearchStart=B&Page=41

I have just noticed that Vincent is included in the 'hidden depths' collection at Durham archives.  This will mean that there will be some information held concerning him.

This is a great resource.  My own Great Grandfather is included in this collection.  He is referred to in a couple of letters.

It might be worth contacting this archives Battista or asking a RootsChatter who visits here to do a look up for this information.  This is not an easy brick wall - what brick walls ever are. ;). I would therefore seek to turn over every possible stone for any clues.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 02 June 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
In the last workhouse record I found earlier this week for Elizabeth it records that she was taken out by a W. Brabant.

Are you positive it was a 'W'? The reason I ask is that in 1911 one of the officers at Tynemouth Workhouse was called Charles Lawrence Brabant, and his wife, also an officer, was Sarah Elizabeth Brabant. (Not that it's of any great significance to the search  ::) )