Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 75859 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #270 on: Sunday 04 November 18 10:55 GMT (UK) »
That sounds encouraging Boo!  I am so hoping that Pasqualino was baptised at an RC Church and has a well-documented entry!😁

Thanks Jen for the tips about which are the most likely Churches to look at first - this is very helpful and might save me some time when I can next go to the archives - hopefully this will be at some point in the next few weeks. 

The GRO gives this information on his birth registration:

Pasquale Battisto (sic)
1878 December quarter Vol 10A Page 546

I am really quite intrigued now to find out if Pasqualino was the husband of Marieta!
I also wonder if there may be any notes in the marriage entry which might shed any more light.  I am definitely planning on checking this out as well.  I do wonder if a Bernard Battista was really the Father of Pasquale, or alternatively if this might have been a mistake or even made up.  If this was made up I wonder what the reason may have been for doing this? 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Sunday 04 November 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a baptism for Pasqualino but definitely another good idea - he was born in Numbers Garth, Bishopswearmouth. 

Just for the record here's the location of Numbers Garth  https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/440116/557291/13/100765 (use the zoom out button top left if the map doesn't appear)

Now completely obliterated - somewhere under the trees on the right-hand portion of this 'side by side' map https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=54.9091&lon=-1.3760&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Here's what the layout probably have been like when Pasqualino was born  http://www.durham-images.org/public/ms/m16/m16sa4.html To look at the northern extent put your cursor in the centre of the top margin and click up, and do the same in the bottom margin to look at the southern end where it joined High Street East. There were certainly plenty of Public Houses around  :-X

Totally irrelevant to the search I know, but I can't resist a map  ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have found Pasqualino's baptism.  Unfortunately, there are no added notes in the entry.  He was baptised at St Mary's RC Church in Sunderland (thanks again Jen, on advice for Churches - this did save time):

Microfilm 1541
Pasquale Baptist (sic)
Birthdate: 15 October 1878
Baptism: 31 September 1878 - I think this must have been an error and should have been written as October not September. Person who filled out entries wrote 31 September for several baptisms - however baptism after Pasquale's was for 2 November.
Parents: Joanni & Elizabethi Baptist (sic)
Note: Elizabeth's maiden name was not given as Lawson.  Archive staff member agreed with me that it looks along the lines of possibly 'Simmons'.
Address: Numbers Garth
Godparents: Dominic? Anu? & Jane Haley

I also looked at the marriage at St Andrews on 29 October 1906
Pasquale's Father may be named as Bernardi (?) but the writing is very small and initial letter does not really look like the 'B' of Marieta's Father's name.  It is definitely not Giovanni.
Pasquale is recorded as from North Shields.  Person who filled out entry wrote in 'Bernardi di' in the place where 'Marietam' should be from.  However, this was crossed over and 'Newcastle' written instead.  Marietam's Father recorded clearly as Bernardi di Carlo.
Witness Antonio's address given as 4 Argyll Terrace and Reggetta's as 6 Argyll Place.
This appears to have been just a Church entry and no signatures I believe.

I also tried to find a burial for Maria Loreta in Sunderland Cemeteries.  Strangely, could not find her.  I can't rule out I may have missed her or perhaps she may have been cremated somewhere or buried elsewhere perhaps.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RTL for checking on those - the frustration continues!  I will say that the name Simmons in connection to Elizabeth Lawson is definitely familiar to me although I can't think how atm... my assumption is that she was maybe married before Giovanni.  Also clearly the person recording the marriages was making a few mistakes so this does give some support to the idea that Bernardo Battista as Pasquale's father is an error.

I am looking into a few leads at the moment - trying to connect the two Pasquale's by an address or by my latest idea, Godparents.  I have been going back through all the baptisms I have and noticed that Henry Leo had the same godmother as one of my Great Aunts, Lizzie.  I am hoping to find another of the cousins (from either my branch or the other brother Antonio's who has the same godparents as Pasquale's Loretto, Bernardo & Antonio.

In the above process I re-read a pile of photocopied baptism registers that I thought were just related to my branch and realised two of them are Giovanni's children William Armstrong and Vincent.  So they are RC baptisms (presumably from St Marys Cathedral as all of my branch were baptised there as they were all born in Stowell St) and very interestingly they were performed when the boys were aged 6 and 8.  I had records for the boys from ancestry but I now realise that they are actually christening records in Christ Church Tynemouth.  So firstly, why would the boys be christened and baptised.  Secondly the baptisms happened in August 1902 - a month after Henry Leo dies and three months before the children were admitted to the Workhouse - why did that happen?  There is a note in the left column that I can't translate - looks like 'Conditionalites'.  Could it just note that they were christened?
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Vincents baptism...
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
William Armstrongs baptism..

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Oh and Mary Alice Whalen, their step sister was their Godmother.  I'm assuming Anastasia was RC and after loosing Henry Leo felt it was appropriate... but if raises the question as to where were the Whalens when Giovanni disappeared and the children needed them  ???

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
  There is a note in the left column that I can't translate - looks like 'Conditionalites'.  Could it just note that they were christened?

Conditional baptism https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=32704
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that when these boys were born they were baptised at Christ Church, Tynemouth?

If so then this is them being received into the RC church (Christ Church, as far as I am aware, was Anglican)
The 'conditionalites' or more usually 'sub conditione' indicates that the child had previously been baptised in some way - maybe at home in cases of danger of death, or perhaps in a church of a different faith or even no one knows for sure if they were baptised at all so we are making sure.

Baptism can only happen once, most of the churches agree on that, but the full sacrament of baptism, with the rites of the particular church can take place at a different date but is marked as such in RC churches as per the note on these boys baptisms. ( in Anglican churches there is often a note saying the baptism was 'private')
In effect they are saying they were (or may well have been) baptised but not according to the rites of this church so we've had the ceremony to comply with our faith.

Boo