Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 75779 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, you are correct the same grave as Mother.  I am getting quite tired now trying to chunk away at this brick wall for Battista....

Anastasia Slavin confirmed again buried Section B 1041. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Evening Chronicle - Wednesday December 27 1899.

'Whalen.- Morpeth Asylum, on 24th inst., aged 40 years, Michael Whalen, beloved husband of Anastatia Whalen.  To be interred at Wallsend Cemetery on Dec. 28.  Cottage will leave residence, 16 Palmer's Terrace, Willington Quay at 3 o'clock.  All members and friends of the Shepherd's and Oddfellows Lodge kindly invited.  R.I.P.'

Excellent, so now we know when Michael died, followed by Anastatia marrying Giovanni in 1901.
Michael was committed to Morpeth Asylum in April 1899.

Even more puzzling! ???

Evening Chronicle - Thursday, December 8, 1904

'WHELAN - Jarrow. 6th inst., Michael Whelan.  Interment on Friday, at 2.15, from his niece, Mrs Mallen's residence, 20, Shakespeare Street, Jarrow.  All friends kindly invited. R.I.P.'

Presumably, this Michael would be buried at Jarrow Cemetery. 

So we can probably discount this one - although I can't find this Michael in 1901  :-\ the surname Whelan pops up with multiple different spellings!

Battista, although nothing positive yet on Giovanni's fate, I'm sure you'll agree that RTL has done some fantastic research for you today  :D

I am getting quite tired now trying to chunk away at this brick wall for Battista....

I'm not surprised. I hope you aren't on night shift  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
No, thankfully. .. no nightshift tonight Jen! ;D ;D ;D

I will be interested to see what Battista makes of all this ... as for me I am now so tired I am beyond all thought for the moment... ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Potentially he was buried next to his first wife (Elizabeth), second wife (Anastasia) or perhaps one of his brothers Vincenzo or Antonio. Anastasia was buried in St. Dominic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. The others I don't know. Worth checking out.
Do you have Antonio's death? Only I've found a reference to an "Anthony" Battista who died in December 1911. Perhaps he went under the anglicisation of his name?
Just answered my own question. Did a lookup on FreeBMD and the news article I've found relates to Giovanni's son, not brother. So the brother is still outstanding.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
.. as for me I am now so tired I am beyond all thought for the moment... ;D

Go and rest on your laurels  :) You might not have found Giovanni, but you've found a lot of other interesting information  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Phew!  After a quicker breather a couple more posts ..

Henry Leo Battista
Buried Elswick Cemetery
Entry No: 36224
Age 10 months
2 Stowell Square
St John's Parish
Buried July 16th 1902
Section S   no 201

No death notice.  Elswick Cemetery map on link below.

http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page9.htm

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
Brother?

Evening Chronicle - 5 January 1900

'BATTISTA - Newcastle 6 Stowell Street on the 4th inst., aged 47, Vincenzo Battista, beloved husband of Mary Jane Battista.  Interment on Sunday, at Elswick at 2.30. All friends invited.'

Perhaps the Battistas chose to live close by each other?

Perhaps Mary Jane remarried in 1901?

Home residence is where China Town is in Newcastle nowadays.  :)

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, lots of work has been going on here! I've just woken up, so it'll take a bit to process this all.

Couldn't resist it - I am on a roll, so have cancelled something to come to Newcastle.  However, death notice for name you give turns out to be puzzling ???:

Evening Chronicle - Thursday 19 July, 1934

'Whelan.- 169, Portland Road, on the 17th inst., aged 72 years, Anastasia, beloved wife of the late Michael Whelan.  Cortege received at St Dominic's Church, Friday, 9.45 a.m.  Requiem Mass 10 a.m.  Interment All Saints 10.45 a.m.  Friends please accept this the only intimation.  On whose soul, sweet Jesus, have mercy.  R.I.P.'

Could husband have changed both names or did she remarry or is this another lady entirely? ???  Very puzzling!  Not sure if this might be a bit of a break through of your brick wall - I hope it is.  :)

Now this is very interesting.

This burial has got to be the same one as that found on Family Search as Anastasia Battista Whelan. There can't have been two burials of an Anastasia Whelan at St Dominics on the same day!

It says she is the widow of the late Michael Whelan.

Giovanni was born c. 1847

There is a death in Newcastle on Tyne in 1904 of a Michael Whalen aged 57, i.e. born 1847

Is this just a coincidence?

I think it is just a coincidence  >:(

Anastasia's first husband was Michael Whelan.  The death announcement doesn't mention her second husband  :-\

I think it is just a coincidence  >:(

Anastasia's first husband was Michael Whelan.  The death announcement doesn't mention her second husband  :-\
Do you know her maiden name? I thought of this myself but am struggling to find a Michael Whelan/Whalen married to an Anastasia anybody.

Michaelis Whalan is Anastasia's first husband, he's listed as the father of all her children in "England, Select Births and Christenings". The only records I have from him are from the children's births. I did attach sources to Michael's FamilySearch profile when I used to use that (moved to Ancestry now) https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/9N25-WSC . You should be able to see them there.

Potentially he was buried next to his first wife (Elizabeth), second wife (Anastasia) or perhaps one of his brothers Vincenzo or Antonio. Anastasia was buried in St. Dominic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. The others I don't know. Worth checking out.
Do you have Antonio's death? Only I've found a reference to an "Anthony" Battista who died in December 1911. Perhaps he went under the anglicisation of his name?

Antonio's death in 1911 is Giovanni's son, his brother also named Antonio died in 1936, age 81 (so born around 1855). You can find this on FreeBMD, I haven't added him to my tree yet. I know Vincenzo is likely Giovanni's brother, as his descendants contacted my family last year informing us of their oral family history. Vincenzo is living with Giovanni in the 1881 census. As for Antonio, I've found he is potentially Giovanni's brother as a woman who seems to know a lot about the family has added further oral history that Giovanni, Vincenzo and Antonio came from Cassino Italy together. Not verified yet, but I think it's worth looking into. They all lived very close to each other, had the same occupations.

Per the linked posts, Anastasia Whalen/Whelan is on the Newcastle voting records at various addresses from 1903.  No husband is listed, and the return to her maiden surname suggests they may have separated.

In later years Mary Alice Whelan is with her, as is John Slavin.   A Mary Alice Whelan died in Newcastle in 1952 aged 66, which would fit with her daughter Maria Alicia.   

A John Slavin & Anastatia Whelan married in 1916, and there is a death in 1922 for an Anastasia Slavin aged 28, so likely the daughter as there are two Slavin/Whelan births, one in 1916 and one in 1919.
Returning to this for a moment, I think this may be the son born in 1919.

"SLAVIN - Newcastle, 7 Clarence Street, 25th inst., aged 20 years, Joseph Emmanual, dearly beloved son of John and the late Anastasia Slavin (nee Whelan). Cortège to be received into St. Dominic's Church, Tuesday, 8:20pm; Requiem Mass, Wednesday, 10am. Interment All Saints' Cemetery directly after Mass. All friends, neighbours, and members of Blessed Sacrament Guild kindly invited. On whose soul, sweet Jesus, have mercy. RIP."

Printed in the Evening Chronicle, 27th March 1939.

Ah... that does explain a bit.

Will be back shortly to go over the rest of these posts.
Battista
Lawson

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
Couldn't resist it - I am on a roll, so have cancelled something to come to Newcastle.

:o

For the record I think this might be Michael and Anastastia in 1891 in Willington Quay (given as the birthplace of Giovanni's step-daughters in 1901)

RG 12 / 4222 / 64 / 8

65 Stephenson Street, Willington Quay

Michael Walhon, head, m, 33, labourer, Ireland
A S do, wife, m, 29, do
P. do, son, s, 10, scholar, Northumberland
C. do, daur, s, 6, do
M A do, do, s, 4, do
E do, do, s, 1, do

M A presumably Mary A aged 15 in 1901
E presumably Ellen aged 11 in 1901.

Agreed.

@River Tyne Lass: That is a lot of new information, thank you!

I didn't realise Joseph Slavin (son of Anastasia the daughter I presume) existed, I can add his birth and death to my collection now :D

Mary Alice Whalan, I didn't have a death for her listed, that's very handy.

Anastasia the daughter's gravesite found as well, it's also nice to confirm that daughter was, in fact, the one to marry John Slavin, not the mother.

A death year for Michael Whalan! The only records I had of him were from his children's birth records, now I have an approximate age for him too! :)

Evening Chronicle - Wednesday December 27 1899.

'Whalen.- Morpeth Asylum, on 24th inst., aged 40 years, Michael Whalen, beloved husband of Anastatia Whalen.  To be interred at Wallsend Cemetery on Dec. 28.  Cottage will leave residence, 16 Palmer's Terrace, Willington Quay at 3 o'clock.  All members and friends of the Shepherd's and Oddfellows Lodge kindly invited.  R.I.P.'

Excellent, so now we know when Michael died, followed by Anastatia marrying Giovanni in 1901.
Michael was committed to Morpeth Asylum in April 1899.

Even more puzzling! ???

Evening Chronicle - Thursday, December 8, 1904

'WHELAN - Jarrow. 6th inst., Michael Whelan.  Interment on Friday, at 2.15, from his niece, Mrs Mallen's residence, 20, Shakespeare Street, Jarrow.  All friends kindly invited. R.I.P.'

Presumably, this Michael would be buried at Jarrow Cemetery. 

So we can probably discount this one - although I can't find this Michael in 1901  :-\ the surname Whelan pops up with multiple different spellings!

Battista, although nothing positive yet on Giovanni's fate, I'm sure you'll agree that RTL has done some fantastic research for you today  :D

I am getting quite tired now trying to chunk away at this brick wall for Battista....

I'm not surprised. I hope you aren't on night shift  :-\

Completely agreed, an excellent surprise to wake up to!

Henry Leo Battista, Giovanni's son I didn't know existed, a burial location for him as well. Elswick Cemetery, perhaps Giovanni might be buried close by?

Brother?

Evening Chronicle - 5 January 1900

'BATTISTA - Newcastle 6 Stowell Street on the 4th inst., aged 47, Vincenzo Battista, beloved husband of Mary Jane Battista.  Interment on Sunday, at Elswick at 2.30. All friends invited.'

Perhaps the Battistas chose to live close by each other?

Perhaps Mary Jane remarried in 1901?

Home residence is where China Town is in Newcastle nowadays.  :)

Yes, from my understanding the Battistas did live close by to each other. From the oral accounts that have been passed to me, they seemed to be a close family those 3 brothers.

Outstanding work @River Tyne Lass, far more information than I thought I'd learn. I'll be putting all that new info into my own records now :D

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, even going to Newcastle! I'm definitely going to have to plan a trip there one day.
Battista
Lawson