Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 75993 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Next time I go to North Shields library I will look at an inquest booklet they have.  Although, I have no idea what dates are covered.  Apparently, staff put this together from a more fuller set of records which are kept at Woodhorn.

Also, see links below:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6609

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10022
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Just to continue from where I left off ..

Marriage at St Cuthbert RC
John G Battista & Emma (Emmam) Anderson
13 July 1911
Fathers: Johan Battista & Joannis Anderson
Witnesses: John Samuel Anderson & Mary Lizzie Smith

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
Another for your records, which I found yesterday ...

Marriage at St Cuthbert RC, North Shields
James Battista & Doreathea Playford
Both of 35 Duke Street, North Shields
Fathers: Joanni Battista & Joannis Jacobi Playford
Witnesses: Samuelo Johnson - 57 Churchway, & Agnete (Hare?) 3 Union Stairs.  There are some Latin words in left margin which are difficult to make out and I do not have a clue.  One word appears to be 'mixt'.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:40 BST (UK) »
Following this thread with interest, and it has to be said RTL, you've gone above and beyond.  It's not my thread, but thank you anyway!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the compliment, Jomot. :)

That was an excellent suggestion of yours to revisit the workhouse lead, by the way.

This is a fascinating thread.  The Battista story took place on my home turf area so thankfully I am in a position to help with trying to solve this mystery.  I do hope we can smash this brick wall in the end.  I am certainly going to give it my best shot at this end.   I am not ready to throw in the towel quite yet ;D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 31 May 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
William Armstrong Battista, 13 - Sculcoates, Yorkshire-East Riding, inmate.
James Battista, 11 - Tynemouth, Northumberland, inmate.

I see that Giovanni's son, James Battista, was in fact on the training ship 'Wellesley' in 1911.

There is interesting information about this ship here http://blog.twmuseums.org.uk/the-training-ship-wellesley-at-north-shields-1868-1914/

The admission books for 'Wellesley are at Northumberland Archives reference number is NRO 07146/3/2.

A Rootschatter who visits Northumberland Archives on a regular basis was kind enough yesterday to check on the Wellesley Admission Books, in the hope that there might be some family details relating to the two Battista boys who were admitted there.

Sadly she reports that she could find nothing at all relating to either boy  :(  Staff at the Archives confirm that they have had several people search in the books for boys who they know for certain were there but have found nothing in the records at all.

So, I'm afraid, another dead-end.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
That's a shame, that no records could be found.  Although, this was very kind of this particular RootsChatter to try to find them.

Just to add Giovanni's name does not appear in the inquest list at North Shields library.

However, Battista you might like to have this memoriam for your ancestor John George.  It appeared in the Shields Daily News on 5 November 1924.  It is on microfilm at the library:

'BATTISTA. - In loving memory of our dear brother, John George Battista, 16th Batt. N. F., killed in action Nov. 5 1916.  Sleep on, dear brother, and take thy rest, They miss you most, who loved you best; forgotten by some he may be, forgotten by us he never shall be. - Remembered by his sister Lily, brother-in-law, Bob, also nephew Willis.'

What lovely words!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 31 May 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
I have nipped back to the archives ..

Could this possibly be a good lead ... ? :)

Tynemouth Workhouse Admission
Wednesday October 9th 1912
3.30 p.m.
Battista, Elizabeth Ann
Religion EC
Age 24
'Spinster Mother
Father William a tailor'
Admitted from Tynemouth
No friends
Transferred from Bolton Union

&

Battista, John
age 5 mnths

Both discharged at 9.45 a.m.
January 30, 1913
On discharge Elizabeth was age 25 and John recorded as age 1.

Perhaps Battista, it might be worth checking to see if Bolton Workhouse records exist.  Could William be Giovanni?  Or could the record mean that baby John's father may have been called William and that he was a tailor.  It is a bit ambiguous.  I wonder why she was transferred from Bolton?  In the last workhouse record I found earlier this week for Elizabeth it records that she was taken out by a W. Brabant.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 02 June 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Strangely, just to note that I can't see any birth registration for Baby John Battista mentioned in the workhouse records. ???

Looking at futures deaths for Battista males there is only one that may fit birth period but this is for an Arthur Battista who had been born 2 May 1912.