Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 75970 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #414 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 14:48 BST (UK) »
Goodness Jen!  You have got everything worked out so quickly!!

Another alias!! :o

I wonder how he got a not guilty verdict on the bigamy charge with all this cover up.  Must have had a good lawyer. ::)

It makes you wonder what name he may have gone under at death .. with all these alias names.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
He and Lily appear in various places in the Newcastle Electoral Rolls as Matthews and or Mathews and in one case his Christian name is given as George  ::)
I dread to think what his name might have become by the time he died.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
I know .. it is mind boggling to think what this possibly may have been!!  Given all that has come to light today.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Tuesday 02 April 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
There are three other Mathews births in Newcastle upon Tyne between 1933 and 1938 mother's maiden surname Macauley. Two of them have the middle initial 'B'.

I wonder if the three other Macauley+Mathews children are part of the same family (L A B Mathews, G W Mathews and F E B Mathews).
Battista
Lawson

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
On Lily Macauley's marriage index it has Lily Macauley + Matthews or Battista 4th q. 1932 Newcastle T. 10b 202

I wonder what their marriage certificate states.

James V Mathews appears to have married Phylis E. Thomas in 1961 (Coventry) and they had two children. I've found some descendants on Ancestry who have named his parents George J. Mathews and Nelly Macauley.

Death index has him as James Vincent Mathews, died in 2006, birth date 18 Jan 1939. I'll contact that family to see what they know.
Battista
Lawson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 09:13 BST (UK) »
Given the surname and mother's maiden name I felt it was more than likely that the other three children could well be of the same family. It's possible that they weren't with their parents in 1939 because there had been a major evacuation of children from Newcastle on Tyne at the beginning of September 1939.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
I just had a quick look at the tree you refer to, sadly they have the wrong dates of birth for both James/George (1910) and Lily (1912). There's no reference to the 1939 register which contains the dates of birth of 1898 and 1915, nor any mention of having seen the marriage certificate, which must contain reference to the two surnames.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wonder too what the marriage certificate may have said.  I wonder if James may have perhaps given a Father's name as John Mathews or even John Battista Mathews.

Thinking back, if the James Battista we are talking about is the one in the article I posted about on here page 40 post 353 - he was then using the alias of George Marshall + one other unspecified name.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Thursday 04 April 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thinking back, if the James Battista we are talking about is the one in the article I posted about on here page 40 post 353 - he was then using the alias of George Marshall + one other unspecified name.

It's certainly a possibility that it was the same James!

Berks and Oxon Advertiser - 16 November 1928

'DEFENDANT WHO "GAVE HIMSELF AWAY."
SMART WORK BY P.C. MORTIMORE

A man whose name and address were given as George Marshall, of 28 Steven Street, Reading, was charged with riding a bicycle without a light on September 27th.  He pleaded guilty and P.C. Mortimer went to Reading and found the defendant in a common lodging house, using another name, and it had been found that his correct name was James Battista.  The defendant had given the police a lot of trouble.
In a statement the defendant said he was using his mother's name.
P.C. Mortimore added that the defendant at Reading first denied all knowledge of the offence.  The witness then asked why he had not returned from a Turners Court man.  The defendant replied that the man was coming to Reading for it.
Mr. Rich: He gave himself away
A fine of 10s. was imposed and the defendant apologized for the trouble he had given.'