Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 76160 times)

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #549 on: Monday 30 December 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Jen - as discussed I agree this is so likely to be 'our' Lily.  Still no contact from any of the Matthews descendants I have contacted but still hopeful.

RTL - I will definitely get on to Bolton next week.. that entry could prove very interesting.
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: Monday 30 December 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
And for reference here is the document that shows Isabella Wilson 'Griffiths' and Elizabeth Robson as the guardian of their child.
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: Monday 30 December 19 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I also have John George's Military Will as follows.... two separate entries both noting Isabella 'Bella' Wilson as beneficiary.

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: Monday 30 December 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Plus.... I have a lovely picture of an Isabella Wilson from the T&W Tynemouth Criminal Mugshots book from April 1908 and was recently looking through the newspaper archives to see if I could discover her crime and if I could link her to the Battista's...   I came across an article from June 1908 regarding an Isabella 'Fairbairn' Wilson of North Shields who had been involved in a bigamous marriage to a Thomas Huscroft. However Thomas Huscroft had married her under the name of Thomas William ROBSON!  So, if Isabella and John George's child's guardian was an Elizabeth Robson... could this be a link? 

Very tenuous I know!  But the use of alias's and practise of bigamy appears to be common place - so many coincidences!!  :o :( :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: Monday 30 December 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Some fantastic work from Jen!  I, too, agree that this must be Lily!

This is what I believe to be the write up from the newspaper regarding Isabella’s (shown above in photo) crime.  I think the newspaper likely got mixed up with the name.  I am not surprised as I have noticed this type of thing before with my own ancestors.  I think the name on that wonderful  mugshot photo will be the correct one.

‘Shields Daily News – Wednesday 8 April 1908
‘THEFT FROM A BACKYARD
At North Shields Police Court to-day, Elizabeth Wilson (16), and George Wilson (15) South Shields, were charged with having stolen from the backyard of a house in Park Crescent an overcoat, value 5s, the property of John F Phillips, on the 7th – Christina Phillips, wife of the prosecutor deposed to missing the overcoat and giving information to the police. P.C. Pallister said that he was on duty in George Street yesterday when he saw the accused.  The girl had something bulky under her jacket.  He asked what she was carrying, and she replied that it was a jacket belonging to her mother.    He told her to produce it, and when she unfastened her jacket he found the missing overcoat, a description of which had been given to the police.  He charged them with having stolen it, and they made no reply.  He therefore brought them to the police station.  The magistrates fined them each 5s and 5s costs, with the alternative of seven days’ imprisonment.’

I have noticed in the will above that the Isabella mentioned was from 4 Empress Street, South Shields .. so it may be possible that the girl mentioned in the theft above might be the same person.  When I can next get to the archives I will check to see if there is also a photo of George Wilson under the same date.  I really think the name Elizabeth would have been an error in the newspaper.

This is the Christ Church, marriage entry for the Isabella who married bigamously in North Shields ..

Entry 428
June 14 1908
Thomas William Robson & Isabella Fairbairn Wilson
His Age 30
Her Age 28
Bachelor & Spinster
Miner
His residence: 3 West Percy Street
Her residence: 36 Church Street
Fathers:
Joseph Robson (deceased) - Miner
John Wilson - Unclear - looks something like Mineral Guard or Musical Guard or similar?
He signed with a mark.  She signed her name.
Witnesses: John Wilson & Emma (Softley?)

This Thomas' real name was Thomas Huscroft and his first legal marriage had taken place on February 28, 1897 according to the newspaper report of their bigamy trial.

As there are two different ages these two Isabellas are likely not one and the same.  Perhaps if more information might come out at a later point it might be possible, hopefully, to identify which Isabella was the common law wife of John George - whether it was one of these two or perhaps someone totally different.

I wonder who the child was?  Are they referring to a child between Isabella and John George?  Or the child Lily Anderson born to wife Emma Anderson?  There was a 24 year old Lily Anderson who died in the September quarter in Tynemouth in 1935.  She is not in Preston Cemetery.  Perhaps she might have been buried at Blyth Cemetery near to the address of Elizabeth Robson shown at Waterloo Road, Blyth.

Regarding Church Street .. I think I remember a link with one of the Battistas and Church Street .. will have to try to remember where this might be ..

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: Monday 30 December 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Found the link to Church Street!

It is on an earlier post of mine on page 19 of this thread post 167

I took a photo of the memorial boards in the Memorial Garden at the Linskill Centre, North Shields showing the names of the two Battista Brothers John George and Vincent.

John George comes under Church Street .. drat!  it looks as if the photo misses off the house number .. although perhaps if there is a number shown it may not necessarily be of relevance.

There was an Isabella Fairbairn Wilson born 1880 in Tynemouth with Mother's maiden name of 'Wells'.  A family tree has parents possibly as John Wilson and Frances Wells who married at Christ Church on 1 August 1874.  Siblings were Jane, Mary, Andrewina, Elizabeth and Benjamin.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: Monday 30 December 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought according to the Shields Daily News Article (entitled 'Tynemouth Bigamy Case' 21 October 1908) regarding the bigamy trial Isabella's sister Elizabeth seems to have been the common law wife of Thomas's brother according to the brother although Elizabeth herself claimed that they had married at a registry office.  The article reports that Thomas was known as 'Robson' at the colliery. 

Could it be that the Elizabeth mentioned as the guardian might actually be Isabella's sister?

Or alternatively, the South Shields Isabella may be Isabella Waltey Heron Wilson MMN Swindales birth registered March 1893 perhaps the one born 31 December 1892 baptised at St Hilda on 2 August 1893 parents Joseph and Mary Wilson.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: Monday 30 December 19 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Shields Daily News - 4 August 1917 gives John George's address as 27 Church Street.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: Monday 30 December 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
And for reference here is the document that shows Isabella Wilson 'Griffiths' and Elizabeth Robson as the guardian of their child.

Apologies to RTL et al, I had no idea that there could be two pension card for one man - the one I looked at was definitely the same man as this one but with different info, as I posted. The card I looked at said Lily's guardian was a Mr John Samuel Anderson.

<have made a note to check for extra cards next time I look at a pension record>

Battista researchers must only dream about finding someone in their tree who is straightforward to research!

Boo