Author Topic: Registering a birth in 1899  (Read 7483 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Registering a birth in 1899
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Yes within 42 days
"As a result of the Births and Deaths Act 1874, registration was made compulsory from 1875 and the onus was now on parents to inform the registrar when they had a child and penalties were imposed on those who failed to register. Births had to be registered within 42 days at the district or sub-district office, usually by the mother or father. If more days had elapsed but it was less than three months since the birth, the superintendent registrar had to be present and if between three months and a year, the registration could only be authorised by the Registrar General."
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Can you give us her full name(s) and which county she was born in.  Also her mothers full name.

If she was illegitimate - have you looked under her mothers surname for a birth?

Her name was Sybil Margaret, parents George Ansell and Ethel Beatrice Lipscombe. I have tried looking for birth records under Ansell, Lipscombe and a couple of other names I know her to be using after birth (Ambrose/Huntly). I have found nothing, hence I am trying to look independent of surname, under the assumption that a different surname was used at birth.

I have tried looking for births of Sybil and Cyril simultaneously and looking for matches in surname. I can't seem to find any, so perhaps they were registered under different surname. But I am going to try again to see if I can find anything again. I know that Sybil was living in Brighton with mother Ethel in 1901. I may try to look for any children born in this time in brighton to see if I can find any matches.

I only made this post to find out about the time that a birth should be registered within, I have another thread regarding looking for Sybil

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Earlier post to save duplication
Merged.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Don’t know if this is related.
John Conrad married Rose D Huntley in Eastbourne Sept qutr 1913
George Ambrose Huntley married Rosina Plummer Bedford Sep qutr 1902 ( difficult to find as George wrongly transcribed as marrying in Reg district 5c although original definitely says 3b)
Isobel

That is interesting, I will have a look into it. The thing is, I am fairly confident that George Ansell was the father of Sybil, So am unsure as to where George Ambrose Huntley would fit into the mix.

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
You said somewhere that Sybil and Cyril were baptised together as Lipscomb in 1905 have you seen this record ?

We don't know yet it Ethel made up the name Ambrose or actually married someone with that surname .

I like Isa s finding of George Ambrose Huntly. .he could be Sybil birth father but u likely to be Cyril s father if he married in Bedford in 1902

The Baptism was in Hammersmith 1905, The parents were noted as George and Ethel Lipscombe, they were living at 27 Turnville Road, Hammersmith. After doing some digging I have found that this is where a Kenneth Mackenzie lived, who i believe to be Ethel's Uncle (Ethel's Mothers Brother).

I found Kenneth Mackenzie (and some other Mackenzies) living at this address using the electoral registers and a few censuses, however there is at no point, a mention of George Ansell or Ethel Lipscombe (although there is at one point an Arthur Lipscombe as "Boarder"), so I am assuming that they were just visiting (perhaps George was working in the area).

I think my sister said that George Ansell may have been married to an Alice Gardiner, after a split with Ethel, this would make sense as to why Ethel ended up living with Cyril in Poole.

I was going to have a look to see if I can find George Ansell and Ethel B Lipscombe anywhere else together (probably in london still), But I feel that this isn't going to help me find Sybils Birth records.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Where did Sybil's baptism take place?
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline george1997

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Where did Sybil's baptism take place?
Hammersmith, all the details are here (Reply #14):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=794303

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Given that your previous thread ran to 5 pages and has lots of info about Sybil etc it would be as well if this thread were merged with it so have asked moderator

Threads merged.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)