Author Topic: Fish Street, Whittlesey location?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Street, Whittlesey location?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you search for "Fish Street" and possibly "Cambridgeshire" or even "Peterborough" rather than adding Wittlesey? It may not yield anything useful, but may be worth a try?  :-\

Apart from new street names as the area has been developed, looking on an old map, there have too many name changes in the area - I don't know if it makes sense that they would have changed the name of one street from Fish Street to Baunce Lane and then to Windmill Street. Also, a "lane" would generally be smaller (shorter/narrower) than a road or a street, wouldn't it?

On maps I have looked at there are many streets which are unnamed, which makes it difficult ....

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
The oldest map I have of Whittlesey is the 1841 tithe map.  Baunce Lane is certainly not as narrow as Ivy Lane and in part, just beyond Gracious St, it is quite wide, as wide as Whitmore Street, for example, and wider than part of Gracious Street. The road leading from Whitmore Street to Gracious Street is unnamed. Beyond the turn into Gracious Street, the road continues to the north ,where it is wider and is called Baunce Lane.  It's possible that this unnamed part was originally called Fish Street and that what is called Baunce Lane was a later extension to it, and then the whole street became called Windmill Street, which is what it is definitely now called.

I believe there are too many entries in the parish registers pertaining to Fish Street, which seem to tie in with Baunce and Baunce Lane, for these to actually be anywhere other than Whittlesey. The families associated with Fish Street in the registers also appear on the 1841 census for Whittlesey, which they wouldn't if this was a Fish Street in Peterborough, for example.  These families all appear to be on Windmill Street too.  There are quite a few Whittlesey street names that have changed since 1841. These include the following: Crab End is written as such in the 1841 census, yet on the tithe map of the same year it is called Crab Tree Corner. Old Tavern St is now Broad Street; Old Whittlesey is now  Queens Street; White Horse Lane is now Horsegate Lane and Almshouse Street is now Market Street.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
This site lists the name changes, including Baunce Lane to Windmill Street, but there is no mention of Fish Street - https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=215620655273400&id=211461672355965

David

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
A very useful list, David.  Thanks.  It's interesting for another reason too, and that is that there are other names as well as Fish Street that do not appear on it.  I've just had a quick browse of the burials for St Andrews 1813-1841 and St Marys 1813-1830.  Street names that do not appear on this list include Market Hill, Watsons Lane, Balls Lane and Beaumont's Corner. I don't see these on a modern map either. In the burial registers, there are no references to Beehive Street at all, but plenty to Barrs Lane, as early as 1827. The 1841 map shows Bullards Town End as "Bullards Town End or Stamp Lane." Parkinsons Lane is shown on the map but not named.  Fish St is also called Fish Lane, both of which are completed with the addition of Whittlesea.  There is a reference to the burial of a John Gibson of Fish Street, aged 85 in 1839, only two years before the tithe map and census.  It sounds to me as if addresses were pretty loosely applied in the 1820s and 30s.  Perhaps they became more standardized in the 1840s with the expansion of the post office and use of stamps, but I'm only guessing at that.