Author Topic: Amusing tree on Ancestry  (Read 6352 times)

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing tree on Ancestry
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
I once saw one that went back to Adam & Eve!!! It was clearly deficient since Eve wasn't descended from Ada's rib!!!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
I once saw one that went back to Adam & Eve!!! It was clearly deficient since Eve wasn't descended from Ada's rib!!!

So not a bone of truth  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the owner of that one has had a bit of "ribbing" since. ::) ::) ::)

Malky

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
I have messaged her to say that i’ve been sent a hint to one of the children in her tree, and was interested to see her other husbands and many children.

I’ll let you know if she responds 😀

I hope she does respond.

It is very easy to get in an almighty mess on Ancestry and end up with someone marrying the same person several times or marrying several different people when what you intended was just to add one person once.

Still if she does respond and admit she is in a muddle and doesn't know how to sort it out then there appear to be several people in this thread who could use their expertise to get her back on track
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
Indeed, it’s certainly a shame (if it’s not true of course), given that she (like so many descendants of people who emigrated) has some amazing photos of the family, even if they aren’t the ones I’m researching 🙄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 June 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
Had a reply from the tree owner.....

‘Oh do ill have to fix that thankyou’
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 June 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
I've been chasing down a gentleman who married one of my great aunts in 1943, and I found 2 trees which had him born in the USA, marrying my relative in England, and dying in England. They are quite plausible - his birth year is right on the American censuses they include, and his name is almost the same. Some digging, though, found a death for him in Massachusetts. I also found him on the 1939 register in England- the corrections on his record are not included in the transcription, making him hard to find. The other trees have him on the 1940 American census.

I still can't find him before 1939, though, and I think he had been adopted.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 June 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
I think that beginners must get very excited about the Ancestry TV adverts about hints etc., and just don't get the idea that they're only hints, not facts!  When I started off a friends tree for her, with only her parents and children, she took it over with huge enthusiasm, and before I knew it a week later she was back to me to show me how well she had done with her tree!  She'd gone back 4 generations???, (or at least she thought she had).  :D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
I have discovered a new illness.  Or, to be more accurate - I haven't discovered it, I just came up with a name for it.  Perhaps when I complete the definition I should submit it to medical journals.

TREETRUSTER SYNDROME
An affliction affecting many inexperienced family researchers.  Symptoms include:
1) A belief that information posted on online trees must be accurate.
2) A lack of knowledge about finding and using original sources.
3) Uncritical acceptance of the fantasy that an ancestor can die before she is born, marry her grandfather, have five or more husbands at the same time, give birth to fifty or more children and live to an age of over 200.

Fortunately, there is a simple and easy cure for this syndrome - join ROOTSCHAT.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk