Author Topic: oliver surname in Dumfries  (Read 3252 times)

Offline aeroqueen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
oliver surname in Dumfries
« on: Monday 08 August 05 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello
i am searching for information on a family with the surname Oliver .i have come accross a William Oliver who in the 1851  and 1871 gives birth place as Dumfries .so i think that quite possibly it is in this area that my family of Olivers originated .I have no idea of who his parents where as unfortunatly he died in a poor house and his parentage wasn't recorded. in the 1871 he was in largs a boat&ship builder with a wife Jane Shearer living on Shearers land in Largs.
other sibling names where Samuel and almost certainly a Robert both of whom died before registration in 1855 so no clues to be had there .
Is Oliver a common name in Dumfries ???and is anyone else researching this name with the area.any information would be appreciated regards
aeroqueen

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: oliver surname in Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
i am searching for information on a family with the surname Oliver .i have come accross a William Oliver who in the 1851  and 1871 gives birth place as Dumfries .so i think that quite possibly it is in this area that my family of Olivers originated .I have no idea of who his parents where as unfortunatly he died in a poor house and his parentage wasn't recorded. in the 1871 he was in largs a boat&ship builder with a wife Jane Shearer living on Shearers land in Largs.
other sibling names where Samuel and almost certainly a Robert both of whom died before registration in 1855 so no clues to be had there .
Is Oliver a common name in Dumfries ???and is anyone else researching this name with the area.any information would be appreciated regards
aeroqueen

the name goes back to 1610 in Dumfries on BVRI do you know when William was born

audrey

Offline aeroqueen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 05 15:35 BST (UK) »
hello Audrey
thankyou for your reply his age was given as being 70 in the 1871 census
thankyou once again regards
aeroqueen

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 05 16:22 BST (UK) »
Samual Oliver b 6/3/1795 at Dumfries
       chris 15/3/1795

father John Oliver

William Oliver b 30/6/1803
        chris at Westerkirk Dumfries 10/7/1803

father John Oliver

audrey

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 05 16:34 BST (UK) »
William Oliver b 18/3/1800 Canobie Dumfries
        chris 23/3/1800

Robert Oliver  b 10/3/1802

chris   11 /3/1802 looks like this one died

Robert Oliver b 10/12/1812
    chris 20/12/1812

father William Oliver

mother Ann Little

audrey

Offline aeroqueen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
hello Audrey
thankyou for the information
William's brother Samuel i am Assuming was born around 1810 or so as his age was recorded as being 30 in 1841 in Bute census born out of the county.he was a merchant seaman.he was married to a Mary Galbraith born Bridge of johnston and registered at paisley.
so i really need to find a family that has a Samuel born around then but with William born at the start of the 1800's.
thankyou once again your help is appreciated regards  aeroqueen