Author Topic: Oldest person found in a census?  (Read 35488 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest person found in a census?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 January 23 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a family friend who thought it was wonderful that she was showing on the 1921 census and the 1939 National Register. She’s now 102.

What a shame there's no realistic prospect of her living to see herself on TWO censuses that have been released to the public!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline BSmith2268

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 March 23 01:41 GMT (UK) »
The oldest relative that I have found on a census was my x3 great grandmother, Anne Wilkins who was 87 years old on census day, 1911, living with her niece and two great-nephews. She died in 1914 at the ripe old age of 91.
Smith- Neath, Glamorgan/ Witney, Oxfordshire
Roberts- Llandow/ St Donats, Glamorgan
Hopkins- Tonmawr, Glamorgan/ Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Emanuel- Briton Ferry, Glamorgan
Broom- Neath, Glamorgan/ Oare, Somerset, Ilfracombe, Devon

Madden- Aberavon, Glamorgan/ Cork, IRELAND
Price- Tonmawr, Glamorgan/ Brecknockshire
Davies- Morriston, Glamorgan/ Gower, Glamorgan
Price- Fochriw, Glamorgan
Parker- Neath, Glamorgan
Waters- Aberavon, Glam, Cork, IRELAND
Gleeson- Limerick, IRELAND
Watkins- Breconshire

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 March 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Well, my great x4 grandfather Anthony Holcomb was born in 1792, and only just failed to make it onto the 1891 census.

He died in 1890, at the ripe old age of 98.

The entry ABOVE his in the burial register was for his granddaughter ... herself a grandmother!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 March 23 20:33 GMT (UK) »
A small area of Boston Lincs Park Road and Wyberton West Road has produced the following.
Centenarians Mrs Adcock. Mrs Farmer and Mrs Robinson
Nonagenarians
 Mrs Luffman (my mother) 99
Mrs Booth  96
Any many others in their 90s.
Something in the water?
Always women though perhaps they wear the men out?
Any others in the same small area?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 05 March 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Well, in the 1851 census there's Esther Allen, widow, needlewoman residing at Dyer Street, Christchurch, Southwark. Her recorded age is 119.

The only thing is ... her relation to the head of household was given as mother-in-law: so I think he was just having a laugh.

The same applies for Mary Benton at West Moor, Elton, Stockton. She is also said to be 119 years old. But she's the grandmother of the head of household Richard Almond, and he was only 22 years old. So I think HE was having a laugh, too.

In Pitlake, Croydon, there's ANOTHER 119 year old Eliza Dickson, widow and head of the household. But her daughter Eliza Dickson, a schoolmistress, is only 33. So I think again, the census form was completed by the literate daughter, who decided to have a laugh.

FindMyPast gives a fourth 119 year old too ... but that one is clearly a transcription error.

On the other hand ... Martha Dunsdale of Nelson Square, Southwark, born in Eaton Socon, Cambridgeshire does appear to have a legitimate claim to be the oldest person on the 1851 census. She is the only person in her household so must have completed the return herself (or given her answers to the enumerator in  person) ... and she is 112 years old.

Of course, once you're that age your memory does tend to go a bit ...

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 06 March 23 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a family friend who thought it was wonderful that she was showing on the 1921 census and the 1939 National Register. She’s now 102.

What a shame there's no realistic prospect of her living to see herself on TWO censuses that have been released to the public!
Unfortunately for those of us who were born between 1935 and 1945 there is no prospect of our ever seeing ourselves on a census.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)