Author Topic: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...  (Read 18097 times)

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: When you can't quite prove two people are one and the same...
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
I don't have anything useful to add but its been an interesting read hopefully should I ever run into a similar situation I'll either have hints from this or be able to post the same and have a similar mystery hunt as this one.

Interestingly (and its not a line I'm following) my 3x Great Uncle married a Leggett
Battman

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
Battmanforever, any connection to Corton near Lowestoft in Suffolk, or Hartlepool in Durham?

Martin

Offline Battmanforever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin.

There could be but as I said it's not a line I'm researching. This leggett was in East London but it doesn't mean her family didn't come from those areas you mention. I only have her in my tree as part of research I did into a cousin but I didnt need to trace back
Battman

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
Earlier in this thread I said,

"In 1881 looks like Jane was a servant with a family in Shildon.   Birthplace given as Spennymoor but that would be the district for Tudhoe, they're right next door.   Age is given as 18 which is about 2 years out."

I now see I know see that there is a Jane Adamson born at about the right time, where the mother is named as Laverick . This is the name of the family with whom this Jane was living as a servant in 1881. I'm still trying to decide how this changes things.  If this Jane was the Jane born in 1860,  and she was related to the family for whom she was working in 1881, I think they would have got her age correct. This makes me think she is not my Jane.

In 1858 a John Adamson married and Elizabeth Laverick. Perhaps this Jane is their child.   Perhaps the Laverick family with whom she is living, are relatives of Elizabeth. I'd be interested in any further comments.

Martin

Funny thing, I knew this search would come up again right now from one of the strange signs I get from time to time.    Yesterday I was watching part of the movie 'An Elephant named Slowly' and this again featured the Adamsons.      Last week I was very much involved in a search for a Mary Genevieve Cullen of Boston Mass and at the same time happened to watch one of the episodes of 'Marcella' when suddenly the name 'Cullen' was right across the screen in large letters.

Anyway just had a quick look at John Adamson who married Elizabeth Laverick and I see from the marriage licence that he was a farmer of Brancepeth Parish and she was living in Croxdale - 3 miles south of Durham City, and they married in Croxdale.    That would fit with Jane's birthplace being Durham City.

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 20 May 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have mentioned this in a more recent related but different thread, but here it is again, to close this thread.

I last week contacted my 3rd and 4th best matches on GEDmatch.  To cut a long story short, they are both descendants of an extended family living in Tudhoe, probable birthplace of my great grandmother, Jane Adamson.  We can't be sure who in the family was actually Jane's father, but it leaves me in no doubt that I have Tudhoe connections in about 1860, my grandmother, Jane Adamson almost definitely came from there, and I consider this and earlier research to meet the proof stanards.  Thanks to all.

Martin

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Monday 20 May 19 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have mentioned this in a more recent related but different thread, but here it is again, to close this thread.

I last week contacted my 3rd and 4th best matches on GEDmatch.  To cut a long story short, they are both descendants of an extended family living in Tudhoe, probable birthplace of my great grandmother, Jane Adamson.  We can't be sure who in the family was actually Jane's father, but it leaves me in no doubt that I have Tudhoe connections in about 1860, my grandmother, Jane Adamson almost definitely came from there, and I consider this and earlier research to meet the proof stanards.  Thanks to all.
Martin

Well that's good news, Martin and it does bring some closure to a long search.

All the best,  Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Thursday 23 May 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Its a fascinating story .
Amazing research

Im glad the DNA has added an extra dimension for you .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson