Author Topic: What has happened to Findmypast?  (Read 15164 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened to Findmypast?
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 03:35 BST (UK) »
I got the dreaded dashboard today - its completely pointless and is already irritating me no end. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
The dashboard has just been inflicted on me.  About the only useful thing I can see so far is that my sub renewal date is there staring me in the face, and as it's pretty imminent I need to decide whether or not to renew - in previous years I've tended to forget until after the event.  That's not to say it wasn't on the previous home page, it may well have been, but like everything that we see day in day out it gets filtered out as "noise".

As there's a link to "manage my account" I thought I'd take a look and I've switched on FindMyPast offers (hoping for a big renewal discount  ;)).  Has anyone given them a birth date?  I'd be interested to know what the special birthday surprise might be.  Unless it's a decent bribe I'm inclined to give them as little personal data as possible.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
I got the dreaded dashboard today - its completely pointless and is already irritating me no end. 

The dashboard has just been inflicted on me.  About the only useful thing I can see so far is that my sub renewal date is there staring me in the face

Mine finally appeared last night with a little popup questionnaire at the side. I think I gave them my opinion  but it's not likely to change anything.

I'll just keep on doing my searches in the same old way  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline eilirjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
The new Dashboard is easily circumvented, thankfully.
Straight to Search for me...

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 06 August 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Even more annoying is this pop-up which seems to appear on every results page today. >:(

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 06 August 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I have submitted a problem report this morning about the DNA popup to their supposed "priority" support mailbox:
===============
Subject: DNA test popup causing serious annoyance

This morning, you implemented a popup about DNA tests.

It appears on EVERY search results screen.

ONCE is enough. Once per day is annoying. To see it for the tenth time in 5 minutes is annoying to the point of me wanting to go to another provider.

You need to get this changed IMMEDIATELY. Not tomorrow. Not “submitted to our web team for consideration”.

===============

No reply yet. Not even an auto-acknowledgement.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 06 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
ONCE is enough. Once per day is annoying. To see it for the tenth time in 5 minutes is annoying to the point of me wanting to go to another provider.

I couldn't have put it better myself!  Thank you andrewalston.

It's not appearing now, for me.