Author Topic: Improve & date this image please  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Improve & date this image please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:44 BST (UK) »
Ah, ok. Trying to get an idea based on the architecture and all. I'd still have to go with it being in a basement or the storage area. The exposed piping just doesn't gel with it being in the main room of a house.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks DrDude you have certainly got me thinking - I really need to identify the woman if i can.

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 14 June 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Ah, ok. Trying to get an idea based on the architecture and all. I'd still have to go with it being in a basement or the storage area. The exposed piping just doesn't gel with it being in the main room of a house.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks DrDude you have certainly got me thinking - I really need to identify the woman if i can.

I always like to consider all the possibilities.  When in doubt ask questions. If someone doesn't  want to give you the answers, ask someone who will.

Best of luck to you.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 June 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, this has turned out to be a very interesting photo. The lady appears to be head of the household as she is wearing the chatelaine with keys on and her dress is very detailed. This however doesn't fit with the very mundane background, as Dr Dude says it does appear to be a basement or similar, so why would she choose this setting?
I do hope you will let us know if you ever identify her.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 June 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, this has turned out to be a very interesting photo. The lady appears to be head of the household as she is wearing the chatelaine with keys on and her dress is very detailed. This however doesn't fit with the very mundane background, as Dr Dude says it does appear to be a basement or similar, so why would she choose this setting?
I do hope you will let us know if you ever identify her.
Pat

Thanks so much for the restore Pat - much appreciated. When you say she appears to be head of the household would that be her own or someone else's (i.e could she be in service?). The whole feel of the image to me is that it was not her choice to be photographed. Also as this is another tintype is the image reversed & if so would that mean her ring is actually on her right hand - oh dear I'm getting very confused by this one.  ???
Keith

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is a pm photo. She is sitting sideways on the chair without support and she  is far too focused to be dead.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 June 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Keith from what I understand the chatelaine usually held the keys to all the locks in he house, the wine cellar, private rooms etc. It was usually worn by the lady of the house, the wife of the owner and only she had access to certain areas that the servants couldn't go to.
In a very large house, it could be the housekeeper. I wouldn't think she is a housekeeper though, her dress and jewellery look too expensive for that.
I did reverse the image to begin with, but I realised the ring would be on the wrong hand so I turned it back. I really am not sure about that.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 June 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
I agree that this is not a PM photo.

It looks to have been taken outside due to the good light,  and the whitewashed wall makes me think it could have been taken outside a back door or in a yard.

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 June 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a-l & Ruskie regarding your opinions on the image - I have to say I am somewhat relieved it is not a PM photo.
Keith