Author Topic: People stealing things off your tree?  (Read 5974 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: People stealing things off your tree?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
He doesn't look as if he'd approve of these 'thefts' does he, Biggles......
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 23:58 BST (UK) »
Ive just found a lovely portrait of my great granfathers sister Martha Ann  used as a profilé picture for her
Its been copied 5 times but one person has attached it to a different Martha Ann
Id put a comment underneath a while back adding her parents names which the original poster didnt know .shes copied the details I gave and ive copied her picture .

I love old photos but copying without checking the person is the correct one is daft .

If people copy a document or  a picture I post ...I usually contact them to see how we connect .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

Not too sure if i'm being a little pathetic or if I'm right in my feelings.

I had a distant Cousin contact me through Ancestry, we share a set of Great Great Great Grandparents. Which Is fine, I let him view my tree but then I have found he has screen-shotted my pictures and then re-uploaded them as his own, pictures of my Mother, Father, Grand-parents and Great- Grandparents. There's dozens of pictures that I have spent a great deal of time restoring and also images I have shared on here to be restored. He has copy and pasted a story word for word that I wrote about one of my ancestors and then passed it off as his own..... This story took me years to put together and involved a lot of research and visits to London to find out what happened to said person.

He knows how to use the 'add to my tree' option as he's done it with 3 other images but the dozen other and the story he's re-uploaded as his own. 

If I ever take anything from some else's tree I will always ask and always make sure the person who I originally got the information from is credited.

Am I being pathetic or would it slightly anger you also?

Thanks

Though I agree with the body text of your post that before anyone copies your work and images they should ask, but your heading is completely wrong, he has not stolen anything!
You still have the text you still have the images so they have not been stolen, but you have libelled him, though to your credit you did not name the individual.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
It would be nice to get a 'please' , acknowledgement or a 'thank' you for our work. However the nature of the internet means that most of this material is available to anyone with a computer. It is nieve to believe otherwise. Once it is posted on the net 'anywhere' it is out there and you have buggerall control of where it goes.
I hope you all have your brickwalls broken down, you find that 'gateway cousin and your DNA match alerts are all successful.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.