Author Topic: Ancestry search up the spout?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry search up the spout?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
I think anyone/everyone who couldn't access the records they should have had access to should email them with dates/loss of availability & ask for an extention on their sub for the days lost?

Not so much days lost, as frustration - having to refresh, or even re-refresh to get hints to show up; getting no results on a search and having to choose a dataset and search inside it to get results; having to use Any Event instead of Births or deaths for baptisms and burials to show up; wondering whether searching in your DNA results is actually getting all the results because of what is going on in the rest of the site - or whether some of them are complete mismatches because the site may not be working properly (loss of confidence in the site) .... Having to waste time deleting hints that are only matched on part of the name and on NOTHING else, and then go looking for the correct one it seems unable to find.

It's wasting hours of my time!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
I think anyone/everyone who couldn't access the records they should have had access to should email them with dates/loss of availability & ask for an extention on their sub for the days lost?

Not so much days lost, as frustration - having to refresh, or even re-refresh to get hints to show up; getting no results on a search and having to choose a dataset and search inside it to get results; having to use Any Event instead of Births or deaths for baptisms and burials to show up; wondering whether searching in your DNA results is actually getting all the results because of what is going on in the rest of the site - or whether some of them are complete mismatches because the site may not be working properly (loss of confidence in the site) .... Having to waste time deleting hints that are only matched on part of the name and on NOTHING else, and then go looking for the correct one it seems unable to find.

It's wasting hours of my time!
Suffering the same frustration. >:( >:( >:(
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
I really didn't intend to respond to this thread but Ancestry Search (and hints) have been driving me crazy too. The search (casting the net wide but with specific names, dates, locations) either seems to show a whole lot of clearly irrelevant results (dates, locations) or 'no results found'. Forebears/FindMyPast seems much more focused on the searches I've recently done, even if they don't find anything. FMY quickly found 1871 census records that Ancestry (despite repeated attempts) has been unable to find.

I've had the FTM/Ancestry combo for years with FindMyPast on a pay-as you go basis.

My trust in the reliability/accuracy of Ancestry is waning.
Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
Mike -

Your experience matches my own.  I discovered lots more by my own efforts in record offices.  Very disappointing.

Harry.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
To add now complete chaos to the system it now appears some baptisms are linked to births, but some only turn up with "Any event", presumably ditto for burials and deaths, so now you have to search both ::).