Author Topic: New change of names database, has anyone tried it?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New change of names database, has anyone tried it?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
there is a William Wilson b 1860 Manchester MMN Quinn and there is a William Wilson married a Frances Quinn in Manchester 1851
haven't tried to find them anywhere else yet

Thanks for looking sandiep. (England are through btw:-)

Just found them on the 1861, -
RG 9/2952/75 p 4

The Quinns and Wilsons seem all mixed up...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly -- thank you so much for the newspaper report. How interesting -- he was clearly a clever chap.

(I know what you mean about England -- I had the current score permanently on teletext - and when it came to penalties and the names kept coming up as they scored, I was a nervous wreck.)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 11:34 BST (UK) »

Hi Again Pennines,

At least they're through, eh?  ;)

Sadly... all didn't seem to go well with the 'Wilson Air Purifier. (See Attached Article). However, it sounds very similar to the system used in contemporary 'eco houses', and so perhaps he was just ahead of his time...

None of it gets me any closer to finding him anywhere before 1893 though...

Romilly :-\
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
That is such a shame. What a disappointment for him when he must have put so much into it. How interesting that he was also classed as a Draper.

There is a James William Wilson born in Manchester (Ancoats area) in September quarter of 1859 - with a mother's maiden name of Wilson. You have probably seen it. It's also on Lancs BMD (which identified the area as Ancoats).

I haven't followed him through.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 19:06 BST (UK) »

In Kelly's Directory for South Wales in 1894 he's listed as a 'News Vendor' at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea!

Interestingly, there were some Drapers called Wilson in Church Park, Mumbles, but I've never managed to find any link. They were Scottish.

My Grandfather didn't actually go bankrupt, just the initial stages, 'first letters of administration'. I think that he gave up the Drapery business, and concentrated on the Painting and Decorating one. They ran the business and a shop from 99 St Helens Road, but lived at 'Y Plas' Llangyfelach Road from 1919 - 1932.

Yes, I have the Birth Cert for that James William Wilson, and I've followed him through, and I'm fairly certain he's not the right man. Over the years I've ordered about 10+ Birth Certs, and none have matched the info my Grandfather gives on his Marriage Cert.

The most likely reason is a name change, either due to his Mother's marriage, or to leave an unwanted marriage of his own, or for some other nefarious reason known only to him:-(
Thanks for your help and interest.

Romilly 8)
Researching: