Author Topic: Mystery woman from Bermuda...or Birmingham, England?  (Read 10409 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery woman from Bermuda...or Birmingham, England?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 29 June 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Wasn't Bermuda a British colony?

"The slave trade was finally outlawed in Bermuda in 1807 and all slaves were freed in 1834. This day of freedom is celebrated as the Emancipation Day in Bermuda."

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 29 June 18 12:14 BST (UK) »

I can only find one George Scott architect in 1851 & 1861 censuses.  He was George Gilbert SCOTT b 1811.  He was knighted in 1872 and died in 1878  (Wikipedia)

But he didn't get married (To Caroline OLDRID) until 1838

Sons born to them seem well documented with no sign of visits to Bermuda

George Scott (whoever he was) really is key in all of this.  Until the right Scott line is established in the UK there is no way of establishing a link with whatever went on in Bermuda.  Unfortunately without a birthplace for his son William it’s hard to make progress on this.

Sir George Gilbert Scott R A was the grandson of Rev Thomas Scott.
Obituary Worcestershire Chronicle 30 March 1878
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline JewellersGranddaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 30 June 18 02:51 BST (UK) »

As of 1861, the punishment in Bermuda for a Caucasian woman bearing a black child was whipping, so would their marriage be legal in Bermuda in 1865, when their first child was born? (I read that online somewhere, but can't remember the source).

Samuel was technically a free man when that first child was born?

"1863. January 1. President Lincoln, aware of the public's growing support of abolition, issued the Emancipation Proclamation declaring that all slaves in areas still in rebellion were, in the eyes of the federal government, free."
"1865. June 2.  The US Civil War ended with victory for the Union when General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate forces west of the Mississippi, surrendered to Union forces"

Wonder what month their first child was born in?

I did read that there were many more females than males on Bermuda too, so it may have been hard to find a European male to have a relationship with. Aprroximately 6 or 7 men per 10 females due to war, shipwrecks and disease https://www.jstor.org/stable/3174484?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

In Bermuda, where Sam was born, lived, etc., the slaves were freed on August 1, 1834. At the point  where he met  and had children with my ancestor, it was circa 1865.  Now, if Sam were much older than we estimate (being born circa 1850), it could be possible that he was born into slavery, but family lore says that he was born around 1850.

As for the male to female ratio: Sam's life was threatened because of this relationship with my ancestor, so I wonder if these sort of relationships were acceptable to the general population in Bermuda at that time. At one point, Sam had to go into hiding to escape being killed. Poor Sam--he must have really loved Miss Scott.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 30 June 18 03:10 BST (UK) »
You haven't acknowledged the information about the 1913 marriage of Marion Easton nee Scott to Walter E Davis, and the suggestion that you order it as it might just name her parents.  Is there a reason?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
You haven't acknowledged the information about the 1913 marriage of Marion Easton nee Scott to Walter E Davis, and the suggestion that you order it as it might just name her parents.  Is there a reason?

Yes, there are several reasons. One I stated in a prior post: I had to message my cousin for further information, as he's the only one who would know. I did that right after I posted ; he just replied last night. He 's never heard of Marion, and thinks that it may be another Stuart Scott. He is checking into this. I will post his reply. As for her parent's names being on it: I don't remember having my parents' names on my marriage license, and and I think that most states do not provide that information (?). Perhaps if one of the parties is under 18, they may.

As for the marriage license: there is no point in spending the money until I get confirmation from my cousin. Also, New Jersey requires a ridiculous amount of personal i.d. in order to order a vital record copy, which I am not prepared to hand over. They want copies of two years of utility bills, your driver's license, and other things. For reference, I ordered copies of birth and death certificates from the U.K.--all with no i.d. required, even though I live overseas (oddly, it was, even with the postage, only $3 USD more than New Jersey's copies. Thank, you U.K.--and I mean that sincerely--being able to do that without the red tape helped to solve a family mystery).

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 30 June 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your explanation, and whilst I can certainly understand you not particularly wanting to send all that proof of ID (talk about red tape and unnecessary bureaucracy!) but I don't really understand needing to check with your cousin first, although that's your call. 

For what it's worth, I really don't think its a different Stuart Scott - as well as the 1909 passenger list with both Stuart & Marion, we have we have a record showing Gerald Easton being Cousin to Eleanor O'Blenis (1930 census), a passenger list showing Gerald arriving in the US and going to his mother Mrs W Easton (9 Aug 1907), and a border crossing for record of Helen [Ellen/Eleanor] Scott daughter of Charles Scott of Warwick, Bermuda going to her Aunt, Mrs Wm Easton.

As I said, I do understand the annoyance at the excessive proof of ID requirements, but I think I'll bow out now as there's not much point in me spending time & effort finding leads that have to be 'approved' by someone else fist.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 30 June 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your explanation, and whilst I can certainly understand you not particularly wanting to send all that proof of ID (talk about red tape and unnecessary bureaucracy!) but I don't really understand needing to check with your cousin first, although that's your call. 

For what it's worth, I really don't think its a different Stuart Scott - as well as the 1909 passenger list with both Stuart & Marion, we have we have a record showing Gerald Easton being Cousin to Eleanor O'Blenis (1930 census), a passenger list showing Gerald arriving in the US and going to his mother Mrs W Easton (9 Aug 1907), and a border crossing for record of Helen [Ellen/Eleanor] Scott daughter of Charles Scott of Warwick, Bermuda going to her Aunt, Mrs Wm Easton.

As I said, I do understand the annoyance at the excessive proof of ID requirements, but I think I'll bow out now as there's not much point in me spending time & effort finding leads that have to be 'approved' by someone else fist.

I ask my cousin as I do not know him personally, and he knows his side of the family's history. We only "met" via DNA testing, and correspond through the website, so I email him questions and he replies. I know nothing of his side of the family; only what he tells me. He also has living relatives that he can ask about their ancestors. I may be related to him, but we do not know each other, and have never met. I never knew about my ancestor until I met him on the DNA website. I am not asking him for permission for anything--only information.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Jennie Lovell died in Manhattan on 6 March 1926 aged 36 (four days after the death of her newborn daughter).

Her parents are named as Charles Scott and Eleanor Parker.

Yes, that's our Charles and his wife.

Do you have an ancestry subscription (only if you have one), maybe you should build a seperate tree for your cousins family (keep it completely private) if you do, there are people with Parkers and Lovells from Bermuda on there in their trees ......hopefully some Scotts would appear?

Getting certificates from Bermuda also seems expensive
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 02 July 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
I don't have an Ancestry subscription, but I can use a library version at work on my lunch breaks. I don't know if that version allows one to make trees, though. My cousins' families do have public trees, which I check every so often to see if they've added anything.

Thank you for your ideas!