Author Topic: is James Chaplin senI or linked to Charlie Chaplin senior  (Read 8387 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Help link: alfred john chaplin and Charlie Chaplin senior
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Personal story sent from my sister
About Caroline Ann  Chaplin nee Bradford
 +  her father .
 "   
. He was a hansom cab driver and she told me at the age of 98 (when she lived with Eric & Margaret) that she rode on his cab as a girl.

She died on 23 November 1992 in Epsom, Surrey, at the age of 99, only four months short of receiving a telegram from the Queen. (Her son Eric Alfred was devastated and blamed Epsom General Hospital for not keeping her going until the next March. He pointed out that she had eaten a steak the day before, so was clearly not mortally ill.)

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: is James Chaplin senI or linked to Charlie Chaplin senior
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
Suffolk Marriage Index
James Chaplin married Pheobe Goddard 25 Dec 1815 at Great Waldingfield

Suffolk Burial Index
Newton Phoebe Chaplin buried 5 Dec 1860 aged 66 years
Newton James Chaplin buried 27 May 1871 aged 79 years

Not sure where you've got the death for Phoebe in 1817 on your Ancestry tree from with a second wife, not born out by the census entries or burial index.  No Chaplin burials on the Suffolk Burial Index at Great Waldingfield.  While its not complete, the missing records tend to be from an earlier period.

James and Phoebe are in Newton on the Census together.

Suffolk Baptism Index
Great Waldingfield James Chaplin son of John and Mary nee Howard baptised 1 Jan 1793

However, it looks like Mary as the mother's name is a mistake and it should be Sarah because there are four other children baptised to them in the parish and all list the mother as Sarah nee Howard or Haward - John (1787), Thomas (1789), Mary Ann (1791) and Maria (1795).

Suffolk Marriage Index
Little Cornard
27 Jan 1785 James Chaplin married Sarah Hayward

Obviously needs checking but I have seen entries where Howard and Haward are interchanged, and probably explains the use of Hayward on the marriage entry.

Suffolk Burial Index
All at Newton
10 Aug 1810 Sarah Chaplin wife of James
31 Dec 1812 John Chaplin son of James and late Sarah
13 Jan 1816 James Chaplin aged 51 years

Suffolk Baptism Index
Great Waldingfield 14 Nov 1764 James Chaplin son of John and Ann baptised

There is a John Chaplin buried at Newton 3 Jan 1800 but no age and two Ann's buried 2 Nov 1802 and 27 Nov 1804 but again with no ages.  All from the Suffolk Burial Index.

There is admittedly a James Chaplin baptised 18 Jan 1761 at Great Waldingfield to James and Mary Chaplin.  However, James' age on his burial suggests he is more likely to be the younger James baptised 1764, especially as his eldest son was named John.  Not concrete proof but perhaps more likely than the 1761 baptism.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
ĺChaplin  tree is a work in.progress.

The James line is comlocated cos they marry young and live long
                                                         ....                    wives
I  call  them Wallingford James the elder        Mary Howard

Ag.lab James                                  ..........            phobe Goddard

B1786 d 1890   or Oct 1879 suffolk

James the Hawker                                          m 1939 Charlotte H

Then                           Rosa Newman 1845

Alfred the cabbie from Newton              M Eliza Bradford

Alfred  Thomas  Fullham  born cabbie

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Bear with me and excuse typos # I wrote a long message with dates it got lost in computer land    so easier for me to writea a post and add to it

I will revisit dates I have .....some may be from miscalculated ages from birth years on census

I'm not used to working with parish  records had assumed  baptisms years were same as birth year

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
It would be good if I could add corrections in a different colour on here

Also I.  Getting hooked on finding out more about Alfred Thomas.

+ I will correct what I can on Ancestry preferably usIng a tablet or computer it's too hard on the eyes of  phone
Thanks for your patience

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Whisk I think I can match all the names and dates you give except the younger James in last paragraph

I must get lost with james.ag lab can not be baptised in 1793

If his father was born 1786 ....

And with Mary being a first wife

Ancestry records not confirming links
I think there were several Phoebe. S
Ag.labs wife is spelt Phebe on a few records
Their daughter Phoebe  Chaplin marrived John Goat a gardener

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Whisk I think I can match all the names and dates you give except the younger James in last paragraph

I must get lost with james.ag lab can not be baptised in 1793

If his father was born 1786 ....

And with Mary being a first wife

Ancestry records not confirming links
I think there were several Phoebe. S
Ag.labs wife is spelt Phebe on a few records
Their daughter Phoebe  Chaplin marrived John Goat a gardener

I am sorry but I really do not understand what you are saying.  I never said that the James (with wife Phoebe) in Great Waldingfield and Newton was the son of a James born in 1786 when he was baptised in 1793.  I cannot for the life of me, re-reading what I wrote, understand where you get this from.  I also cannot work out why you think that this James was born in 1786, unless that is the approximate age from the 1841 Census (which is known to be the least reliable of all census), because on other Census and also his burial his year is birth is down as c1793.

I have tried to help you with research, something you requested yourself via PM, but now I shall stand back and let others help you with your research.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
A woman at our History Society has a full tree taking her back to her ancestor, a sibling of Charles Chaplin from the Stowmarket area of the county (from recollection) so possibly Old Newton rather than Newton.

SM …

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Ref the link between Eliza Caroline Bradford and Caroline Ann Bradford
Caroline Ann Bradford’s father Thomas John Bradford was a brother of Eliza Caroline Bradford, wife of Alfred Chaplin. Eliza Caroline was born in Kensington in 1866 and Thomas John was born in Chelsea in 1871. Both children of Thomas Bradford, Cab Driver and Eliza Nee Huxley.
This means that Eric Alfred Chaplin’s paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather were brother and sister.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)