Author Topic: William Furneaux baptised 1579, Paignton: Son of Henry Furneaux  (Read 4594 times)

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Furneaux baptised 1579, Paignton: Son of Henry Furneaux
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
I'm going to jump in here and announce that William Furneis (1579 Paignton) and his wife Joane Chadder are also my great x10 grandparents! My most recent Furneaux ancestor is Caroline Furneaux (great x3 grandmother) daughter of Christopher Furneaux and Mary Clement, bapt. 1820 in Buckfastleigh, married William Waycott 1843 and died 1863.

I haven't looked at that branch of my tree for a while, but much of my information came from an extensive tree, possibly on the old Rootsweb.  www.furneaux-family.com no longer exists, though it may survive on the Wayback Machine.  That gave William's parents as Henry Furneys, buried in Paignton 25 July 1626 and his wife Cicely, buried in Paignton 25 Jul 1614.  The burial records are on FindMyPast, and Cicely is described as w(ife) of Henry Ffurneis Sen.  I haven't yet found a marriage for Henry and Cicely, but I've got lots of free time now to hunt for it.  Looking forward to more correspondence on this family, there must be a lot of descendants around!
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
I'm going to jump in here and announce that William Furneis (1579 Paignton) and his wife Joane Chadder are also my great x10 grandparents! My most recent Furneaux ancestor is Caroline Furneaux (great x3 grandmother) daughter of Christopher Furneaux and Mary Clement, bapt. 1820 in Buckfastleigh, married William Waycott 1843 and died 1863.

I haven't looked at that branch of my tree for a while, but much of my information came from an extensive tree, possibly on the old Rootsweb.  www.furneaux-family.com no longer exists, though it may survive on the Wayback Machine.  That gave William's parents as Henry Furneys, buried in Paignton 25 July 1626 and his wife Cicely, buried in Paignton 25 Jul 1614.  The burial records are on FindMyPast, and Cicely is described as w(ife) of Henry Ffurneis Sen.  I haven't yet found a marriage for Henry and Cicely, but I've got lots of free time now to hunt for it.  Looking forward to more correspondence on this family, there must be a lot of descendants around!

Regarding Cicely the burial date of 1614 I think is correct. I couldn't find a marriage for her and Henry Furneaux either. But it was probably before 1579;
This is because Henry Furneaux "the elder" of Paignton made his will there on the 19th of September 1625. And in that will he made William his "eldest son" executor.
He also mentioned his son John, and John's son also called John. In relation to our William, Henry's oldest son baptised 1579 in Paignton he mentioned William's two sons:
James and Robert. James "Furneis" was baptised on the 14th of December 1619 at Paignton. Robert mentioned in the will was baptised in 1622 and buried at Paignton on the 30th of March 1631.
In the Will "Henry Furneaux of Ashburton" was also mentioned. Now I am not sure if this Henry was a son of Henry who made his will in 1626. But Henry did have a son named Henry, baptied on the 18th of March 1585 at Paignton. This was POSSIBLY the same Henry who married Dorothy Neeke at Paignton on the 23rd of November 1607. Henry Furneaux was also named overseer of his will.
He wished to be buried at Paignton next to his late wife.
I got the above information from Henry's will in 1626 here, from this book on page 193:

https://archive.org/details/miscellaneagenea02unse/page/192/mode/2up/search/Furneaux

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.  Now it gets interesting!  In my tree, copied as I say from the Furneaux family website, Henry and Cicely only have two sons, William 1579 and Henry 1584/5.  William married Joane Chadder and had Henry, Christopher, William, Thomas, John and Peter.  So So no son John; no James and Robert sons of William.  They are however born later than the last son I had, Peter, so it is possible but why are the older six sons not mentioned in the will?   

Henry married Dorothy Necke; they had Margery, William, Henry, Dorothy and Susan.  Dorothy sen. died in 1619 a month after the birth of Susan.  In 1623 Henry remarried Hellery Finch and they had another son called Henry.

I have previously confirmed the baptisms and burials in the Parish Registers on FindMyPast, but they are not indexed, just browseable images so I have not yet gone on to check for deaths or marriages of the children.  Maybe that will shed some light, but at the moment we are no closer to deciding which Henry is which!   
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
For getting back before 1579, I was wondering what records you have looked at. If there are no wills or parish records before then, the next steps could be tax records, the lay subsidies of the 1520s and 1540s:
Devon lay subsidy rolls, 1524-7, T. L. Stoate
Devon lay subsidy rolls, 1543-5, T. L. Stoate

Another possibility:
The Devon muster roll for 1569 /
edited by A. J. Howard and T. L. Stoate

Also legal records:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/
https://uh.edu/waalt/index.php/Main_Page
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40_Indices.html

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.  Now it gets interesting!  In my tree, copied as I say from the Furneaux family website, Henry and Cicely only have two sons, William 1579 and Henry 1584/5.  William married Joane Chadder and had Henry, Christopher, William, Thomas, John and Peter.  So So no son John; no James and Robert sons of William.  They are however born later than the last son I had, Peter, so it is possible but why are the older six sons not mentioned in the will?   

I was wandering after I looked into this, why the older six children of William were not mentioned in their grandfather Henry's will also.
What I will say is that from the book it is only an abstract of a will, and not the original will itself.
In 99 percent of the wills I have viewed, the testator does though mention all of their grandchildren.
And this throws up some queries I have about William Furneaux's wife Joan/ Joane Chadder:

She was married to William Furneaux at Paignton on the 31st of July 1598.
Now there are quite a few trees on Ancestry.co.uk who have her being baptised at Paignton in 1567/1568, the daughter of a George.
Now if this same lady was the mother of their youngest child Robert, baptised at Paignton in 1622, that would make her 54 years old when he was baptised.
I notice that there is a six year gap between the baptism of Peter Furneaux baptised in 1613, and James, son of William baptised in 1619.
If Jane Chadder was indeed baptised around 1568 this would make her 45 when Peter was baptised. Which IF that is the correct woman for the wife of William Furneaux, I think would be much more likely indeed. Yes, it is a bit of a mystery I'm afraid.  :-\

Henry Furneaux married Dorothy Necke/Neeke at Paignton in 1607. On the 26th of October 1619 in Paignton we have this burial, from the original register on Find My Past. I have put a question mark after "jun" because I'm not sure if it does say that. But I think it does:

"Wife of Henry Furneaux jun(?)." -
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=gbprs%2fdev%2f007270962%2f00254

What I can definitely confirm about William Furneaux baptised 1579 in Paignton is this:
He outlived his son Christopher:

Christopher Furneaux (bap. 24 Jan 1600 in Paignton), was a reverend of Buckfastleigh. He married Sybil Dolbeare on the 5th of September 1625 at Buckfastleigh. He was a Schoolmaster there, and ordained to the Priesthood in 1628.

Christopher's father in-law John Dolbeare was also Vicar of Buckfastleigh. John was born in Ashburton, Devon around 1579. He was listed as being age 19, when he matriculated at Exeter College, Oxford on the 5th of May 1598. He gained a Bachelor of Arts from Oxford, on the 11th of February 1602. His only child "Sibly" (Sybil), was baptised in 1604 at Ashburton.
Christopher Furneaux and Sybil had these children all baptised in Buckfastleigh between 1626 - 1638:
John, William, Henry, Samuel, Mary, Joan, Christopher, Sybil, Richard, Edith.

Christopher Furneaux was buried in Totnes on the 7th of July 1641.
The following is from Find My Past:
The front of the Buckfastleigh parish register (in Latin) states that he was buried on the 7th of July 1641 in Totnes. From the original image of Buckfastleigh Parish register, near the front of the book on Find My Past, and also recorded in "Genealogical Et Heredita": Furneaux: "July 7 1641 Christopherus Furneaux, Clerus sepult fuit in Ecclia Toton." This is the only burial recorded in Totnes on that date. Here is a link to this original image. -
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/DEV/BUR/742403

Christopher's burial was also recorded in Totnes. But in the Totnes register they put his name down mistakenly as Henry:
From the original register in Totnes: (July 1641): "The 7th was buried Mr Henry Furnace, minister of gods words." That burial date is also recorded on his Oxford University record.
Somebody who is a 9x great grandson of Christopher Furneaux noticed this mistaken burial entry at Totnes. But they did not know that his burial was also recorded in the Buckfastleigh register:

https://someolddevonchurches.wordpress.com/2017/12/10/the-parish-and-priory-church-of-st-mary-totnes/

Anyway, Christopher died. His father in-law John Dolbeare then made his Will at Buckfastleigh, on the 2nd of June 1642. In the will he mentioned among others his only child, his daughter Sybil Dolbeare, and Sybil's ten children born from Christopher Furneaux deceased.
William Furneaux (father of Christopher) who was born in 1579 was named as an overseer of John's will. He nominated "William Furneaux of Payngton (Paignton) grandfather to mine executor" to be an Overseer of the will, alongside Peter Cliffe, brother of his wife Mary. His grandson John Furneaux (baptised in 1626) was named as executor. All of his grandchildren were under the age of 21 years.
For anyone who has access to Ancestry, John Dolbeare's Will can be viewed here:

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/5111/40611_310652-00364/983964?backurl=https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/108837364/person/422014990060/facts

John gave a lot of money for this time to his granddaughters, and land and chattels to his grandsons. He appears to have been relatively wealthy for the times.

Sorry for waffling on, but I thought this may be of interest to some people.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
For getting back before 1579, I was wondering what records you have looked at. If there are no wills or parish records before then, the next steps could be tax records, the lay subsidies of the 1520s and 1540s:
Devon lay subsidy rolls, 1524-7, T. L. Stoate
Devon lay subsidy rolls, 1543-5, T. L. Stoate

Another possibility:
The Devon muster roll for 1569 /
edited by A. J. Howard and T. L. Stoate

Also legal records:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/
https://uh.edu/waalt/index.php/Main_Page
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/Indices/CP40Indices/CP40_Indices.html

Thank you very much.

Are there any Devon Muster Rolls online for Paignton/Buckfastleigh for 1569 please?  :)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 April 20 04:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
This has given me a lot to digest and work through.
After years or research and finding small bits and pieces, it is quite overwhelming to come upon so much information all at once.

Thanks again.

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 April 20 04:30 BST (UK) »
I can only see what they have on Goggle Books, but both Paignton and Buckfastleigh are included.

https://books.google.fi/books?id=1f4cAAAAYAAJ&num=11
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 April 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
This has given me a lot to digest and work through.
After years or research and finding small bits and pieces, it is quite overwhelming to come upon so much information all at once.

Thanks again.

Much obliged.  :) ;)