Author Topic: Isabella Anderson of Gamrie. A very complicated lady!  (Read 9536 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Anderson of Gamrie. A very complicated lady!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Given the last sighting of Isabella b1826 was in Old Machar 1881 there are possibles for a death 1884 - 1891 ages vary but often the case, have you looked at them?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 16:34 BST (UK) »
Given the last sighting of Isabella b1826 was in Old Machar 1881 there are possibles for a death 1884 - 1891 ages vary but often the case, have you looked at them?

Annie

Unfortunately she isn't any of the following;

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/2 854
Aberdeen Old Machar

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/2 913
Aberdeen Old Machar

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/1 558
St Nicholas

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/1 89
St Nicholas

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/2 242
Aberdeen Old Machar

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/1 938
St Nicholas

ANDERSON
ISABELLA
168/1 554
St Nicholas

So unfortunately I'm still not any further forward with her. I've tried searching names beginning Is* also. Also nothing in Kincardineshire where her daughter lived.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
I noticed one in particular named Elizabeth which may be worth the credits as Isabella/Elizabeth were often interchangeable & at this stage worth considering?

ANDERSON ELIZABETH 64
1890 (b c1826)
168/2 329
Aberdeen Old Machar

I searched surname Anderson only & left forename blank to pick up any variants.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
I noticed one in particular named Elizabeth which may be worth the credits as Isabella/Elizabeth were often interchangeable & at this stage worth considering?

ANDERSON ELIZABETH 64
1890 (b c1826)
168/2 329
Aberdeen Old Machar

I searched surname Anderson only & left forename blank to pick up any variants.

Annie

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think of using Elizabeth.

Sadly she isn't any of these two;

ANDERSON
ELIZABETH
168/2 329
Aberdeen Old Machar

ANDERSON
ELIZABETH
168/2 311
Aberdeen Old Machar

Think at this point I'm consigned to the fact she's vanished off the face of the earth.  ;D ::)
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 August 19 17:21 BST (UK) »
It's worth expanding on YoB as often the age of the deceased is a guess by the informant as I've found often.

I have a chap just now, vanished & have almost exhausted every death in Scotland +/- 5 yrs out of frustration but the surname has a variants too not helping but buying credits every few months & using a few specifically for him, living with hope & determination.

I'm also wondering if his age has been indexed wrong as I've had a few of those?

My g/mother in 1901 was indexed on anc* aged 73 (b c1828)...

She was aged 18 (b c1883) on SP but...

I have had others indexed on SP with wrong ages & now take all into account when scraping the bottom of the barrel (a costly affair)  ;D

Annie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
It's worth expanding on YoB as often the age of the deceased is a guess by the informant as I've found often.

I have a chap just now, vanished & have almost exhausted every death in Scotland +/- 5 yrs out of frustration but the surname has a variants too not helping but buying credits every few months & using a few specifically for him, living with hope & determination.

I'm also wondering if his age has been indexed wrong as I've had a few of those?

My g/mother in 1901 was indexed on anc* aged 73 (b c1828)...

She was aged 18 (b c1883) on SP but...

I have had others indexed on SP with wrong ages & now take all into account when scraping the bottom of the barrel (a costly affair)  ;D

Annie

I think part of the problem is simply her name. Isabella Anderson. Very common in that time period, and that's not including Isobel, Isabel, Belle, Elizabeth and even Annabella as she was named on the 1881 census. I think this will be a slow process and take some time to go through the records. I've already spent a hefty amount in the past few days. Will have to come back to it.

I hope you find your chap eventually!
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Kitty67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi  I have read the details here with interest.  I am trying to research my possibly 4th Gt grandfather Francs Anderson who farmed at Haddoleys in Gamrie.  I believe he had a child with Helen Howat.  The child was Sarah Anderson b.c. 1837.  Francis Anderson: I think this may be Sarah Anderson's father but I cannot find a record of any marriage between him and Helen Howat, who I believe to be Sarah's mother.    There seems to be a link to the Massie family in Gamrie.  Francis Anderson married Isabel Massie in 1824.
On Sarah Anderson's marriage cert it states Fa: Francis Anderson - farm servant (deceased) which would fit with his date of death.   The cert also states Mo: Helen Anderson (nee Howat) Struggling to work this out.
However, Sarah's residence in 1851 is 1851 • Gamrie, Banffshire, Scotland
House servant living with James Massie and Jean Kiloch (Killock?). Elizabeth Anderson is recorded as lodger not servant which implies she was related to James Massie (poss daughter of his sister Isabel)?  The Massie/ Anderson/ Bruce families in this area do seem to be closely entwined!  If anyone can shed any light that would be fantastic.  Many thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 30 April 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Anderson is recorded as lodger not servant which implies she was related to James Massie
I would not recommend making this assumption, or at least not drawing from it any conclusion not confirmed by other evidence. A lodger can be someone totally unrelated to the rest of the household.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 30 April 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
What a perfect storm. An Anderson marries an Anderson and she has a christian name that can be shortened in a  number of ways, Bella, Issa, Lalla etc. Any other time you can search SP using two surnames to cross-reference but not this time.