Author Topic: Llannerchymedd  (Read 4616 times)

Offline AnotherWhiteRabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llannerchymedd
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 January 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, as always tremendously helpful.

Offline thomasfamilyhistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
With regards to Dransfield Thomas. Bearing in mind that registration in Churches was carried out by ministers rather than trained registrars it could have been a clerical error. The minister who signed my own marriage certificate actually put my brother's name down as my father instead of my father's name!!!!!!!! Fortunately, the actual original certificate was lost when there was a fire at the  registration office in Brougham Terrace was burned down in the 1970's (It wasn't me!!!!)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 January 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is of relevance but I just came across it.

www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/surnames.stansfield/70/mb.ashx

Dransfield is a Yorkshire name. The Kirkdale reference is interesting. My wife was brought up in Orwell Road in Kirkdale. Her mother's maiden name was Hughes.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes I found that too.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 January 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I have searched the local deaths certificate and come  up with some surprising results which shows some memories have been at fault. Owen Thomas was buried in St Helens Cemetary on 22/5/41 aged 69. Thirza Jane Thomas was buried in the same plot on 24/11/55. In the same plot were Abram Pearce was buried 18/3/39 (57) and Sussana Ward was buried on 28/9/49 aged 76. I know the plot number and hope to visit it over the weekend. This suggests an 1871 date of birth for John/Owen.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 17 January 19 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Riding School. If your great gran was born in the Isle of Man, where Thirza Jane was born, it could have been her sister. What was her maiden name?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 17 January 19 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know, it was family legend so it may not even have actually been my great grandmother, I was just always told the family had links to horses in the Isle of Man but mostly Ireland, possibly racing stables.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I have found out that Susanna Ward lived with Thirza Jane at 34 Parr Stocks Road. She is some kind of relative, again possibly sister. I do have a pix of her somewhere in the house.(incentive for an early spring clean).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 January 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have reached the definitive conclusion about John/Owen Thomas. His mother was Ann Thomas, second child and eldest daughter of Robert and Anne Thomas. Ann gave birth to a child on 22 September 1871 named him John but did not register him until November of that year.

Early in 1872 he became part of her parents' household and was renamed Owen for one of two reasons (a) Robert and Annie's eldest child was named John and (b) they had lost a young child in the mid-1860's whose name was Owen and they renamed John in his memory. The name of the child's father is unknown but oral evidence states that he was originally from Aberystwyth and stayed in Yns Mon for some years. Throughout his upbringing Owen believed his mother was his aunt Ann. There is a reference that Owen was Robert and Anne's grandson.

Owen moved to Liverpool in the 1890's and married Thirza Jane Pearce in 1896. He had seven children, one of whom was my father Henry Thomas.

This raises a problem for other people who believe Owen was their grandfather. There is no evidence to suggest that Owen fathered a child outside his marriage to Thirza. Therefore, anyone who believes he was their grandfather is mistaken. My own conclusion is that the Owen referred to is another member of the Thomas family (possibly a cousin). This will require further research into the history of Robert and Anne's family.

I have also concluded that Ann never married. In the culture of the time it would not have been acceptable to expect a non-family member to take responsibility for another man's child, especially as this may have revealed who the child's real father was. In addition, there was a culture of shame attached to illegitimacy at the time.

My intention is to visit Yns Mon this year to carry out further research.