Author Topic: Burials in Skipton  (Read 2648 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Skipton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 July 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

From the scant info you have of Sarah.

Assuming what you say:

Quote:- " I had no idea that Sarah had gone to London until I saw something written by my great aunt about how Elsie wasn't always kind to them and their grandmother (Sarah) intervened" unquote:

Thus it sounds from this scant info above - Sarah Wright nee Smith had some steam left in her daily activity circa 1926 ish at an approx age of 85 (to have another 5 years in her spark of life ?) if she was born circa 1841 from various census age info 19th century. George died Camberwell 1935.

Its a gamble this one below.  ???

One death to look at is Wright  Sarah  aged 90  Lambeth 1d 277 Deaths quarter Sep 1931   - being Camberwell is/was part of the Lambeth reg district at times

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/lambeth.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
That looks hopeful! I am open for a bit of a gamble so i will get a PDF of this one and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help and i will tell you the outcome
Alison

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 July 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
Snippets from Lambeth Electoral registers 1929 & 1932

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101427987

Google map Hawke road today (new modern housing)

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4213876,-0.087908,21z
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 July 18 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm, thank you for the reply.

The wealth and status of Sarah's daughter Elsie and her husband are a bit of a mystery. The husband George Herbert Leather had come from a prosperous Leeds family and Elsie had been housekeeper to George and his wife Gertrude and when Gertrude died in 1926 Elsie married George.

My great aunt Joan visited Elsie and Sarah in London when she was a very young child, about five or six years old, Joan was born in 1921 so that must have been soon after Elsie married George.

George Leather had been affluent (a land agent and surveyor) but he wasn't good with money and it was all gone by the time Joan knew him and I can't find any wills for him or Elsie. I don't know where Sarah was from 1914 until about 1926.

George died in Camberwell in 1935 and four years later in the 1939 register Elsie was living alone at 25 (Hawke Road   ??? ) Gypsy Hill.

You are right about the year that Isaac and Sarah got married, it was 1868 in Ampleforth. The two families had been living in that area for generations. Isaac was a master brick maker and stayed in the area until they appear to have moved to Skipton/Gargrave to join their sons Arthur and Ernest there. Money aside I feel that Sarah would have either been in the the grave with Isaac or at least mentioned on the headstone.

The trouble is that I don't know much more but am determined to find out and so any help or advice would be great.
Thanks
Alison

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 July 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
This is brilliant!
It’s great to have that evidence on the electoral register. I sent off for the PDF yesterday and it will be sent on Friday which (hopefully) will confirm your hard work. I love that moment when all the facts fall into place but I wouldn’t have been able to do this one myself. Were the electoral registers online?
Thank you
Alison

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 July 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Unless you are already a subscribed member of Ancestry.co.uk  ???  - your in luck!  :D

They are having a free weekend usage to none members of Ancestry UK

click the link:_ and enter George Herbert Leather. (Nothng else) and click search

Have fun. ::)

Dobby. ;D Glad to have been of help.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/free-access

PS

Always take your time on a new thread first post request (Think it out over days) and give as much info for other members (its all new to them) to research of your request as you know and your thoughts on it.

D

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Always take your time on a new thread first post request (Think it out over days) and give as much info for other members (its all new to them) to research of your request as you know and your thoughts on it.

What great work Dobfarm ;D 

I was trying to put together a post for a new thread myself and ended up with 4 pages in a Word doc!  Hard to know what to leave out to shorten it but don't want to bore everyone....

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 July 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Bingo!!!!!! The 1931 Sarah Wright in Norwood is mine. The PDF has just come through and confirmed all of it - I am thrilled - a big thank you

A

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 July 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

That's great news. :D

I don't do much ancestry researching these days but I use to get high success results and nice to know I can still do it.

Dobby.  ;D