Author Topic: charles wilson liverpool/new york  (Read 417 times)

Offline sophia254

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles wilson liverpool/new york
« on: Monday 02 July 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyway help me break down a brick wall in my family tree. I am interested in Charles Wilson born about 1837 in New York but married my great grandmother Jane Bagnall in Liverpool. On their marriage cert. it states that his father is James Wilson and he is a farmer. Charles and his son were merchan seamen. His son was born in 1878 and died between 1904 and 1908. I feel he died abroad as despite in depth research I have been not able to find anything after December 1904, when he was discharged from a ship. I feel Charles did have some relatives near by but have not been able to make the connections.

Sophia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: charles wilson liverpool/new york
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Welcome toRootschat

Marriage was 3rd March 1864 and Jane was only 17 at that time.

What was the son’s name as you only give his birthyear

1871 census shows Charles as 35 born New York occ mariner

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sophia254

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Charles senior was born about 1837 in New York and Charles junior was born 1878 in Liverpool. Yes Jane was only 17 I got the Bishop's transcripts were they got permission to wed and it gave no more information than on the marriage cert.

Sophia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
I’m looking at a 1903 crew list entry for a Charles Wilson born 1878 paid in Liverpool. Lot of crossing out on it and it’s not clear whether he was born Liverpool or Polperro but his is the only entry on the page which shows his wages were paid to somebody else on his behalf.  There is a rubber stamp but no identity of the person receiving them
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sophia254

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thank you for looking up that information, but I have all the information on the family in Liverpool and the crew list. I even have the death cert. for that sailor it is  one of my many for Charles jun. I have been to London and looked in the archives of deaths at sea to no avail. I remember my grandmother talking about him that he died away and I presumed it was at sea, but now I am convinced it was while he was abroad. I am really interested in the Wilson side of the family in New York, I also think they were from Northern Ireland and Scotland. Once again Thank you for your swift help

Sophia