Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286476 times)

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #423 on: Saturday 26 June 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Rabbit
We're talking about Ince's Pedigrees then - I just took a quick look at the site.  Sorry Rabbit - I just realised it's Aja who's interested here.
Apologies
Derby Girl

Hi Derby Girl,

Thank goodness, I thought that I had lost it in this heat!  Hasn't it been hot today!

Now I thought that Aja and I had cracked it between us, I am sure that he/she will be grateful for the info, I only put what I found on the usual search engine you see.

Your link might be useful to me too I shall have to look at it, so thanks for that, no need to apologise.
It is kind of you to help.

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: Sunday 27 June 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Rabbit
I do hope you find the Wirksworth site useful - yes it's been very hot here too (Yorkshire) even on top of our hill. 
Regards
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: Sunday 27 June 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Rabbit
I do hope you find the Wirksworth site useful - yes it's been very hot here too (Yorkshire) even on top of our hill. 
Regards
Derby Girl

Hi Derby Girl,

I am in the hills too, but it has been dreadfully hot today.  I am sure that I will find that site most useful. Thanks again for that, even if it was a happy accident!

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: Sunday 04 July 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
I am from the United States and all of my relatives have lived here for about 150 years.  On my mother's side, all but one were German and they were still speaking German until a few years before she was born.  My dad's side is mostly English, with some Irish and a German or two to keep the mix interesting.  I have struggled to get across the Atlantic with my research, but you guys are making the journey enjoyable!
David
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: Sunday 04 July 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
I am from the United States and all of my relatives have lived here for about 150 years.  On my mother's side, all but one were German and they were still speaking German until a few years before she was born.  My dad's side is mostly English, with some Irish and a German or two to keep the mix interesting.  I have struggled to get across the Atlantic with my research, but you guys are making the journey enjoyable!
David

Hi David,

So glad that you are enjoying RC, it is a brilliant site indeed.  If you need any help just ask  :)

Where in the USA are you from?  I have loads of Relis in the good old USA.

I hope that you have a good day today, this 4th of July  ;)

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: Sunday 04 July 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Whereabouts in England did your family come from\?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: Sunday 04 July 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I am currently living in San Antonio, Texas.  I still have many relatives whose original stomping grounds we have not been able to determine (Gray, Lewis, Layfield, Smith, Hays).  However, the Baths and Holmans came from Cornwall, the Cleggs from Oldham in Lancashire, and the James from the Ipswich, Suffolk area.  The Tuckers are said to have come from Gravesend, Kent, but I did not do that research myself.
David
BATH - Stithians, Cornwall; HOLMAN, Gwennap, Cornwall; KNOWLES - Cornwall, Devon; REED - Cornwall; CLEGG - Oldham, Lancashire; OGDEN - Oldham, Lancashire; JAMES - Suffolk; REID/REED/READ - Hadleigh, Suffolk; SANDS - Stratford St Mary, Suffolk; TUCKER - Gravesend, Kent;

Offline Rabbit B

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: Monday 05 July 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I am currently living in San Antonio, Texas.  I still have many relatives whose original stomping grounds we have not been able to determine (Gray, Lewis, Layfield, Smith, Hays).  However, the Baths and Holmans came from Cornwall, the Cleggs from Oldham in Lancashire, and the James from the Ipswich, Suffolk area.  The Tuckers are said to have come from Gravesend, Kent, but I did not do that research myself.
David

Hi David,

You might find this link useful,  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0941/   I was told by friends of mine who had that latter surname, that it originates in the West Country.

It is interesting to look at the maps anyway. 1881 certainly bears out that theory.  But like all names they spread out with time.

Good luck with your research.   You can have fun with this site!

Rabbit B  ;D

Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline dbath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
David