Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286434 times)

Offline wiganlass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #450 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lancashire and Nottingham is where I'm searching  and just keep coming to a dead end. Anyway may crack it one day keep plodding..
Hazel
Mead, Liptrot, Fletcher, Owens (Lancashire area)
Mead, Graham (lancashire) post 1891
Mead, Davies (Lancashire) post 1891
Pilkington, Irvine, Smith, Meaden, (Lancashire)

Mead (Nottingham area) pre 1891
MEAD Wiltshire pre 1891

Offline Ann James

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Lancaster here.... on my paternal side. Also found relatives in New Zealand, and still trying to track a few down in Oz and US (cousins which I have photos of from childhood & later on, stories from 'Nam, etc but nothing factual such as places, dates).

Put to one side is another paternal line who emigrated to Ireland, because I've always been made to believe my father's side were originally Scots not Irish which has completely thrown me. And when my dad casually mentioned last week 'have you found the ones in Canada?' .. let's not go there. He wasn't kidding when he kept saying his family was 'big'  :-\

Thankfully the maternal side seems to be less globally- ambitious, are smaller families and are located in south Wales...to date anyway...just wish they weren't all seemingly Jones or Bevan. When I gave up work I thought geneology would be a pastime not a full-time mission lol.
James - Llandefeilog, Llangedeyrn, Idole, Pembroke, Carmarthen
Hutchinson - Lancaster, Pembroke
Jones - Llandefeilog, Idole, Llannon

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: Saturday 07 August 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
We are spreading out!

My Nans family were from Renfrew, Lanark, in Scotland and Originally hailed from Ireland not sure where yet. And emigrated to places such as Canada, australia etc. Whilst my Grandads family were from Edinburgh Midlothian, Burnt Island, Aberdeen etc.  Berwick, Jedburgh, Kirkcaldy pronounced Kirkcoddie my nan always insisted I spake it correctly.

My husbands family are from Portsmouth, Portsea Island etc. and they (some have also emigrated to places like Australia and New Zealand.  Another Branch origins were Belgium and possibly Holland or Denmark.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline lucy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is my first post.  So glad I stumbled across this site via a google search for my ancestors.  I am mainly concentrating on Ontario, Canada as my great great aunt moved there in the 1920s but also a lot closer to home, Muckamore, Co. Antrim, N Ireland, where my mum's side of the family lived from around 1898.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RC Lucy, this is the best genealogy website around! Everyone will go out of their way to assist you all they can.  :)

Good luck with your research

Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: Thursday 26 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
On my Grparents 1909  Marriage Registration says  he's born in  Barry,Wales  and the son of : Adrian REINE of England .What area at least would narrow it down....and Mary ?US?EN, no country mentioned....German was spoken in the home according to the 1911 Census.  Nothing has so far been found to verify any of this. My brick wall..Tehn Glasgow, Scotland thankfully with its well informational certificates has County Armagh/ and I do know County Down, County Derry   and County Antrim, Belfast. just to mix it up. This  leaves my mother's Acadian French side which is very user friendly and and  County Monaghan  gtgtgrandparents' 1840 move to Canada.
France/Belgium/Ireland/Wales/Scotland/England/Isle of Man/Europe as far as I know. This could change at any moment.

Offline LeighJenkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am new to this website - hopefully I am doing the correctly.

I noticed on the Surname Index that Starshine is looking for Arthur Oscar Leigh from Maccelsfield 1880'sish. 

My greatgrandfather - Wilfrid A Leigh had a brother named Arthur Oscar (two boys Wilfrid and William.  I have pictures of all three.

Hopefully this is Starshine and the same family.

Paul

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Friday 27 August 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Paul.

Wellcome!

I hope You find this site as Usefull as most of us do!

P.S.

If you find the post by 'Starshine' then click on the link to send them a Personnal Message.
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: Friday 27 August 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but new members usually need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!