Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286462 times)

Offline LeighJenkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #459 on: Friday 27 August 10 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I was wondering why the messaging wouldn't work for me.

Offline cheecky face

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all at RootsChat,

My research at the moment is in Ireland, Waterford to be precise.  Oh how I envy anyone searching England !!!.

There are a lot of lookup offers for England but I have not seen any for the Waterford area.  I know all my ancestors lived there and they must be buried there also.  As a lot of the records were destroyed I think the only way I am going to find out anything is to search all the graveyards in Waterford.  As there is no way I can get there I'm stumped.

Jan 

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi cheekyface,
mine also, have just been talking to my mum about possibly going to Ireland next year to do some research and to look around.  But she says that it depends on how she  is feeling at the time, no spring chicken anymore, she is 75 and not feeling so good.

Or there is the Isle of Harris, apparently one of our side shoots married into the Campbells/MacDonalds families.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline indiansign

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Monday 27 September 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Ireland and England, so far

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: Saturday 02 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Until I looked at William Stewart's baptism in 1800 in Durham which gave the place of origin of the parents the Scottish connection was just speculation. John Stewart died in 1815 aged 80. The surname was Scottish and a lot of Scots moved to England in the mid 1700s so I just suspected. Then I looked at his sons baptism and it said John was a native of Selkirk, Scotland. Confirmed it.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline kymofONeills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Sunday 03 October 10 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all at RootsChat,

My research at the moment is in Ireland, Waterford to be precise.  Oh how I envy anyone searching England !!!.

There are a lot of lookup offers for England but I have not seen any for the Waterford area.  I know all my ancestors lived there and they must be buried there also.  As a lot of the records were destroyed I think the only way I am going to find out anything is to search all the graveyards in Waterford.  As there is no way I can get there I'm stumped.

Jan 
O'Neills from County Wexford, Ireland.  Nicholas, Anastasia, Alexander, born in late 1700's etc... have proof with graves headstone info.  Relatives handed down info over the generations that they were from Tyrone in north. sound familiar to anybody?

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Sunday 03 October 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all at RootsChat,

Jan 

Hi Jan.

Welcome to Rootschat, there is a great deal of help available on the Irish board! Give it a whirl.  I am researching some Irish family too, so I know it isn't easy.

You will get a lot of help over there

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline kymofONeills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: Sunday 03 October 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
I feel your pain!!   as I'm looking for the parents and/or relatives of Nicholas and Mary O'Neill, b.1782 in Taghmon, County Wexford, Ireland. Their children were Alexander, Ellen, James, Anastasia, John, Nicholas, Martin and Mary. Nicholas also had a sister named Anastasia, married to Stephen Murphy and numerous children whose names included Moses, Mary, Anastasia, Margaret, Adam, Denis etc..   Alexander was also married to a Catherine,  with three boys, Patrick, Richard and Peter.  They lived close to the Co.s Waterford and Kilkenny but in Co. Wexford which leads  me to think they probably had family in the other two counties as well.   I would  think they just spread out a bit to blend in.... Oh, and they might have dropped the 'O' while in Ireland, but once the ship arrived in America, on July 23, 1841, "arrival day" back came the 'O'.  The ship's manifest shows no 'O'.. on their name, Also... this entire group came over together.   Amazing!!! 
O'Neills from County Wexford, Ireland.  Nicholas, Anastasia, Alexander, born in late 1700's etc... have proof with graves headstone info.  Relatives handed down info over the generations that they were from Tyrone in north. sound familiar to anybody?

Offline nfp20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Could have ticked all the options but the ones I'm concentrating on at the moment are the english welsh and india who came to the uk.