Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286481 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #729 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Mainly Scotland, but Great, Great Grandfather was born in Danzig, Prussia around 1823.  Despite my best efforts can find absolutely no information about his birth, nor anything about his parents or other family members.  Very frustrating!
mainly scotland england and ireland depending upon which trees i am researching mine or my husbands' family or my great grans husband tongs or tong.romsey hants
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline LynO23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Mainly England and Wales, but also California and Victoria, Australia. I am fairly new to family history research but already becoming a bit obsessive.
Allsopp, Galer, Goss, Gould, Hamer, Nurse, Oatway, Wilson

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: Saturday 23 April 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! And you don't know how obsessive family history can make you.  ::) ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LynO23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the welcome. I've had so much help from people already, it's wonderful.

The name Pine/Pyne.....here in Devon we have villages called Combepyne and Upton Pyne, both originally held by a family called de Pyn, thought to be from Calvados in Normandy. We also have a fairly famous local poet called Kevin Pyne who lives in Dartmouth. Any connection?

Anyway, thank you
Best wishes
Lyn
Allsopp, Galer, Goss, Gould, Hamer, Nurse, Oatway, Wilson

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: Monday 25 April 16 05:07 BST (UK) »
I've never heard of Kevin Pyne before. It's interesting you mention Normandy in relation to the Pyne/de Pyn name. A Moses Taylor Pyne did a lot of research back at the turn of the 20th century. He discovered that the family came from Aquitaine and before that the Pyrenees in northern Spain. A Herbert de Pins was given the maonr of Upton Pyne in the mid 12th century.  He is thought to have been a bodyguard to Eleanor of Aquitaine.
My lot came from Ottery St Mary the earliest I have found, which isn't too far from Upton Pyne.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MrsMander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching the last names Mander, McNaughton and Northcott, they hail from England, Scotland and Canada. Wanting information on a Benjamin Dudley Mander Sr can't find when and where died he is my gg grandfather.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, and welcome to Rootschat!  :)
If you post a query on the Beginners Board, with as much information as you have on your 2x great grandfather, some of the clever people on here will be able to help, I'm sure.

Offline Coppice67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: Saturday 25 June 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined and my research is based here in the United Kingdom with some from United States of America and a few from Australia.
Specifically, my family is based in Sussex, both West and East.

names, Hazelgrove, Haselgrove, Searle, Mills, Jackson, Glue & Glew
Hazelgrove, Haselgrove, Mills, Searle, Jackson, Glue & Glew.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: Saturday 25 June 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined and my research is based here in the United Kingdom with some from United States of America and a few from Australia.
Specifically, my family is based in Sussex, both West and East.

names, Hazelgrove, Haselgrove, Searle, Mills, Jackson, Glue & Glew

A Warm Welcome to RootsChat Coppice67

Any gaps or brick walls, post on the relevant board and there are many volunteers willing to help you.

Sandra  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada