Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1820 (49.8%)
Ireland
752 (20.6%)
Scotland
688 (18.8%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2504

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 286424 times)

Offline Mariea Christoforou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #837 on: Saturday 01 July 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I’m trying to find out about Mary/Matilda Hennessy.From Fienan/Finnan Kilkenny or Balleyragget, Ireland, Married to Martin Whelan a farm labourer from Kilcreehan, County Tyrone, Ireland. Martin immigrated to NSW on 28/6/1865 on ship “Trebolgan” and his daughter Margaret Whelan immigrated to NSW on27/9/1865 on ship “Wallasea” but there is no mention of Matilda/Mary. Would appreciate any information.Thanks Mariea

Offline Pennant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: Monday 30 October 23 11:01 GMT (UK) »
My family are nearly all from north Wales: Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, Denbighshire and Flintshire.  Also one branch in Shropshire, near the Welsh border, and another in nearby Montgomeryshire (all Powys now).
My husband’s family are all from England (that I’ve found so far) but they moved around more than my family, particularly my father’s.

Offline Elwyne37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 13:37 GMT (UK) »
My research is WAles ,Glamorgan, & Monmouthshire   Elwyne 37

Offline Robert Haigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: Thursday 30 November 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »
According to my DNA results my ethnicity is mostly English, with traces of Northwestern European, and also some Scottish and Scandinavian. However, so far I have found no evidence of non-English ancestors in my family tree, and I have traced some lines back as far as the 1600's.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: Thursday 30 November 23 13:41 GMT (UK) »
According to my DNA results my ethnicity is mostly English, with traces of Northwestern European, and also some Scottish and Scandinavian. However, so far I have found no evidence of non-English ancestors in my family tree, and I have traced some lines back as far as the 1600's.
I have a similar mix with a few percent Irish thrown in. My lines are from Hampshire / Dorset, Berks/ Oxon, Yorkshire, Sussex and Jersey, Channel Is. However my Scandinavian element in my ethnicity is likely from the Yorkshire or Jersey branches (Viking invasions??) And I discovered that several generations ago a Lanarkshire soldier came to Jersey and married a local girl, they became my several times great grandparents. He could have had ancestors who came over from Ireland or contribute to my Scottish ethnicity. I have another suspect Scot intermarrying with another branch of my Jersey family. Not sure yet, but there do seem to be connections to Wester Ross.
Ethnicity can go back a very long way, and isn't an exact science by any means at the moment. You might have to go back several hundred years to find the links - to the time when Britain was being invaded by Angles and Saxons etc after the Romans left even.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott