Author Topic: Trying to obtain birth cert  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to obtain birth cert
« on: Friday 06 July 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
It's a long story but my wife thinks she may have a long lost brother.  I have every detail of the child from Genes Reunited, Name, Mothers married name, Mothers maiden name, year he was born, 2nd quarter, volume, page, and line number.  When I tried to request a birth cert online, it asked for date of birth and of course I couldn't give the exact one.  I emailed the registry office involved and they told me to check the free BMD which ended in 1951.  Great, until you realise he was born in 1964.

I phoned the registry office today and explained my predicament.  The lady told me that I had to have a reference number and to look on the free BMD.  I told her it was pointless as it only went up to 1951.  She had no answer to that but insisted I get a reference number.

Perhaps I am being a bit stupid but surely if I have every detail necessary then they should be able to provide me with a certificate without too much trouble?  Personally I have been to registry offices and obtained certificates without all this hassle so why can't I get one this way?

Any thoughts or advice please?

Alan
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to obtain birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Alan

When you apply for a cert at www.gro.gov.uk , tick the yes box when asked if you have the reference, the site defaults to 'no'

then you don't have to give a date.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
as to the birth index, if you don't have an account with Ancestry or FindMyPast, register with a username and password at www.familysearch.org

You don't have to give a credit card number.

The LDS site will give you without charge the full details from the GRO birth, marriage and death indexes.

you can also use www.freebmd.org.uk to check for an entry but this is still a work in progress and some years aren't complete.

Also bear in mind the GRO site will not allow birth applications less than 50 years old, you have to phone and answer all the questions but you are OK as the birth is 54 years old.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Somebody has been telling you porkies re FreeBMD!

I was born in 1953, and I'm there ;D
My brother was born in 1957, and he's there ;D
I've looked up many births, right up to 1983 (FreeBMD's closing date).

Looking at their coverage stats (https://www.freebmd.org.uk/progressB.shtml#y1950), there is 100% coverage of births up to the end of 1962.
1963 and 1964 have some gaps, but then it's 100% from 1965 to 1977.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Both my son's are there,born well after we married in 1973. ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Not normal Register Office procedure.  Try ringing again and asking to speak to the Superintendent Registrar.

Melbell

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I will look into this further and get back to you.

Alan
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 July 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
Try Ancestry's indexes it's free 6-9 July 2018. Then purchase on GRO site.

Blue

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
It's a long story but my wife thinks she may have a long lost brother.  I have every detail of the child from Genes Reunited, Name, Mothers married name, Mothers maiden name, year he was born, 2nd quarter, volume, page, and line number.  When I tried to request a birth cert online, it asked for date of birth and of course I couldn't give the exact one.  I emailed the registry office involved and they told me to check the free BMD which ended in 1951.  Great, until you realise he was born in 1964.

I phoned the registry office today and explained my predicament.  The lady told me that I had to have a reference number and to look on the free BMD.  I told her it was pointless as it only went up to 1951.  She had no answer to that but insisted I get a reference number.

Perhaps I am being a bit stupid but surely if I have every detail necessary then they should be able to provide me with a certificate without too much trouble?  Personally I have been to registry offices and obtained certificates without all this hassle so why can't I get one this way?

Any thoughts or advice please?

Alan

There is a slight chance the person might not appear on FreeBMD as 1964 is one of those years that is not complete (see https://www.freebmd.org.uk/progressB.shtml#y1950 ).

However that does matter to you as you seem to have all the details you need to order a certificate-
" I have every detail of the child from Genes Reunited, Name, Mothers married name, Mothers maiden name, year he was born, 2nd quarter, volume, page, and line number."

You don't mention if you have the District he was registered in which would help, but if not write or phone the GRO giving the details you have and the fee and they will send you the relevant certificate.

Don't take any notice of anyone who says you need the exact date legally you do not the GRO are under a legal obligation to search two years either side of the year supplied.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.