Author Topic: FORSYTH'S in Aberdeenshire  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Kerrynt

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandmother Alice Morgan nee Kelly
    • View Profile
FORSYTH'S in Aberdeenshire
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 08:46 BST (UK) »
HI,
I'm new to rootschat and thought I'd post my interests.
Hi Shelagh ;)

James Forsyth and Elizabeth Watson were married at Ellon in 1780.

From the Baptisms. Macterry (subsequently Chapelhall & Tillydesk) 1772-1790 we have the following.
Helen Forsyth, daur to James & Elizabeth Watson in Mill of Auchterellon, bapt. 13 Jan 1781.
James, son to James & ........ in Mill of Auchterellon, bap 11 Jan 1783.
A child belonging to ....... Forsyth at Mill of Auchter Ellon, another belonging to his brother at Little Mill of Esslemont ......... were forgot to be regularly inserted.
Unfortunately some of it was unreadable.

Many men in the family were meal millers.  I think James' brother was Alexander Forsyth who married Isabel (maiden name also Forsyth) but can't find much on them either.  Isabel died 1832 at mains of Waterton. Children I have for them are John 1774, James 1779, George 1782, Alexander 1787.

James and Elizabeths children:

Helen married James Nicol. I have descendants for them.
James I have no further information for.
Another son Alex was my 4x great grandfather.  He married Jane/Jean Thomson.  They had 10 children.  Their son James was Master Miller at Mill of Broomfield for over 30 years. Another son Robert (my 3x ggrandfather) married Helen Thomson.  They were at Mill of Aberdour in 1861.

I am wondering if there is much hope of me finding who James Forsyth's and Elizabeth Watson's parents were.  Can't find births for them.  OPR marriage gives no names.  Their deaths give no further information either.  James died 1835 at Overton, Dudwick and Elizabeth died 1828 at Cromley(or Cromlaw) Bank.

A researcher found the following for me:

Poors List 1827-1862

Jan 1827, Advanced by me Nathl. Grieve on account of the following 4 poor people of Ellon Episcopal Congregation.

Helen Paul        5s
Christ. Anderson    5s
James Forsyth    5s
Janet Duncan    5s

From then until his death in 1835, James Forsyth is one of 3-6 people who receive from the Church collection a minimum of 5/-, five times a year, at January, Easter, Whitsunday, 10th after Trinity, and Xmas.  At Xmas time the amount he receives is sometimes greater, for example 12/8 half at Xmas 1829.

The final entry for James Forsyth reads:
10th after Trinity 1835
Jas. Forsyth's funeral    10s

If anyone can suggest further places or records to look for I would be grateful. Or have I gone as far back as I can?

Kerryn in Australia
Surnames are listed in my blog - ancestorchaser.blogspot.com.au