Author Topic: Patrick BARRETT brickwall  (Read 7565 times)

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick BARRETT brickwall
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 14 July 18 04:44 BST (UK) »
I should also mention that I agree with Judith re birthplace... put it down to my wordsmithing... but I was confirming that Molonglo existed and locating it,  not meaning to confirm I knew it as the birthplace for your ancestor.

::)

JM

No worries  :)
Confirmation for me the place exists is something for me to consider. I have my doubts too he was born directly there.
If I can get in contact with the Braidwood parish and the marriage records they may have, it could help provide me with the answers or at least another clue.

Kind Regards
Tom

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 14 July 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
These obits for the siblings of Patrick (son of Patrick BARRETT and Ellen COMANS) imply that this Patrick died between 1932 and 1946.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/119357143
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/119263617

Debra  :)

Thank you very much Debra.
Good find.
If those obits are correct then he can't be my Patrick and my Patrick's parents can't be Patrick Barrett and Ellen Comans then.

My Patrick died 1919.

Kind regards
Tom

Offline Cath Thomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:04 BST (UK) »
Re NSW BDM and ACT to 1930 ... yes, on NSW BDM  :) 

https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/australian-birth-death-and-marriage-records/australian-capital-territory

NB: For births in the Canberra region prior to 1918 see the indexes of New South Wales. For marriage and death records prior to 1930 also see New South Wales. Registrations of these events in the Canberra region may be recorded under the Districts of Queanbeyan or Yass.

ADD
So, births less than 100 years ago, upto 1930, in the ACT were registered on NSW BDM records.  So, under 100 years rule, they are not yet displaying on NSW BDM online index.   BUT ... I am not sure if NSW Reg Gen forwarded copy of those ACT registrations to ACT BDM ... remembering NSW Reg Gen forwarded VIC and Qld etc through to those Reg Gens.   My reliable rellie who will know is currently on holiday.   ::)

JM

Is it possible that not all births, marriages and deaths in the Canberra region prior to 1930 were indexed on NSW BDM?
If so how would one go about tracing  a record from the Canberra region mid 1800's? Parishes records?

Cath.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 July 18 04:12 BST (UK) »
"... My Patrick was a touch south  around Brushy Hill in 1891. "

Where do you see your BARRETT family at this location, 1891?

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 July 18 05:06 BST (UK) »
"... My Patrick was a touch south  around Brushy Hill in 1891. "

Where do you see your BARRETT family at this location, 1891?

On his daughters (Annie Maria) birth record.
Informant Patrick Barrett Brushy Hill.
I also found the 1891 NSW census for a Pat Barrett at Brushy Hill.
He was at Six Mile Flat early 1880's

Where about's is yours?

Kind Regards
Tom

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 July 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I led you astray as I do think now that the Monaro Pioneers have the wrong Patrick.  Are their details correct for Elizabeth GRIGGS and the children?

I'm also thinking that perhaps "Molonglo" is correct as you have said that 'near Yass' is another place mentioned for his birth.

Are Brushy Hill and Six Mile Flat near Braidwood, which is the registration place for the children.

Just trying to tidy up my brain!!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TJ 007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 15 July 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry I led you astray as I do think now that the Monaro Pioneers have the wrong Patrick.  Are their details correct for Elizabeth GRIGGS and the children?

I'm also thinking that perhaps "Molonglo" is correct as you have said that 'near Yass' is another place mentioned for his birth.

Are Brushy Hill and Six Mile Flat near Braidwood, which is the registration place for the children.

Just trying to tidy up my brain!!

Judith

Thats ok Judith I had to look into it. It kept coming up on trees. Good that Debra found the obits to rule it out.
The details for Elizabeth and the children are correct. The Griggs family is pretty easy to trace. Patrick is the problem.

Brushy Hill is a tad North of Braidwood.

http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=24800&cmd=sp&op=8

I don't know the exact location of Six mile Flat (whether North or South) but its near Braidwood. I think its close by Brushy Hill. It on the 1891 census. There are a few entries above Brushy Hill and a few of then are Six Mile Flat.One has William McCaffrey residing there.
Patrick bought land there in 1882 with William McCaffrey. I found that on trove.

Kind Regards
Tom

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 15 July 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome, best place on the web for help with family history.

Yes all of  the Australian Capital Territory was definitely New South Wales all lthrough 19th century.  NSW bdm holdings/early church records are not complete but are a good starting point.

If you were to start a new topic lots of help should respond to it.

JM  edit to sort spelling error.  :-[

Re NSW BDM and ACT to 1930 ... yes, on NSW BDM  :) 

https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/australian-birth-death-and-marriage-records/australian-capital-territory

NB: For births in the Canberra region prior to 1918 see the indexes of New South Wales. For marriage and death records prior to 1930 also see New South Wales. Registrations of these events in the Canberra region may be recorded under the Districts of Queanbeyan or Yass.

ADD
So, births less than 100 years ago, upto 1930, in the ACT were registered on NSW BDM records.  So, under 100 years rule, they are not yet displaying on NSW BDM online index.   BUT ... I am not sure if NSW Reg Gen forwarded copy of those ACT registrations to ACT BDM ... remembering NSW Reg Gen forwarded VIC and Qld etc through to those Reg Gens.   My reliable rellie who will know is currently on holiday.   ::)

JM

Is it possible that not all births, marriages and deaths in the Canberra region prior to 1930 were indexed on NSW BDM?
If so how would one go about tracing  a record from the Canberra region mid 1800's? Parishes records?

Cath.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Is this your BARRETT....in service at age seven?

Braidwood Dispatch and Mining Journal  30 May 1908 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100792513?

(Annie Maria BARRETT in employ of CHAPMAN at Spring Grove)……….said she would be 17 in January next; had been at service since she was seven years old; she was with Mrs EDMUNDS until she was 14 as nurse girl...……
...was in service at Mr CRAIG's...….